Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when Pat Bowlen wasn't David Sterling?

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Default Remember when Pat Bowlen wasn't David Sterling?

Pat Bowlen!!! WTF? Remember a few years ago the Broncos had cap issues and had to let good players go due to money. Heck, they even lost draft picks during the Super Bowl years because they were playing games to keep TD and Elway paid. Shanny had teams that had millions in dead cap space and was always blowing money on free agents that wouldn't work out. Now we will not even spend money on mid level free agents or keep our own players. We are among the league leaders in available cap space and could bring in a few guys even if we get Manning and have seen very little action. Is Bowlen only wanting to spend money if we have Manning and can make a run? Or is he only going to use Manning to keep the stands full and the money flowing in with an available $20 million sitting on the table and Manning not having anyone to protect him or throw the ball to.

So does he have cash flow problems (generally with all his businesses, not just the Broncos), is he trying to build a nice nest egg for his children, or is he losing it? Maybe the ploy the last few years is to keep the costs as low as possible to keep the stands full and he doesn't really care if we win the big one. Did he fire McDaniels because he was terrible or because people stopped going to the games? Maybe the years of Shanny wasting his money turned him into a spend thrift.

Either way, it sucks that we went from a team that had an owner that was willing to give the coaches what they wanted to make the team better to an owner that handcuffs the organization when they have millions available to spend. Or maybe Elway and Co. has mis-managed this horribly.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

I think Bowlen and Elway deserve our patience. Constantly calling them out for not picking guys up that A. dont want to be here, or B. We dont want them here... is ridiculous.

We are in the hunt for the most expensive dude ever. So, money probably isnt an issue.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

I certainly don't agree with whats going on now, but I'm not sure I can really blame Bowlen either.

Remember c few years ago when Denver was paying out the highest amlunt of dead cap? Money to players who weren't even on the team? Like 20% of thier cap, with nothing really to show for it?

There's a part of me that can understand where he is coming from with not spending.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

The fact that we have more cap room than anyone else is telling Clay. Want to bet that we have more available cap room next year than anyone else again?

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Clay this offseason has been pretty much a debacle. We still need corners and a starting caliber MLB. Now we also need multiple DT and a new starting TE. We're not even making lateral moves. We're losing guys. Mike Adams may be a decent player but does he bring the leadership of a Dawkins? I'm pissed as well.

8. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    The fact that we have more cap room than anyone else is telling Clay. Want to bet that we have more available cap room next year than anyone else again?
    Thats a good thing. Its way better than the shanny era and always being over. The only must have guy is Payton Manning, and we are balls deep in that hunt.

Who else was a must have? Everyone out there was highly overpriced, and most had character issues.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The part I find concerning is that we're not even signing our own guys who were big in helping us have a much better season last season than we ever expected.

We let Fells walk. Bunk is on his way out. Yet we resign Mays? WTF is that? This offseason without landing Manning is shit.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

shanahan spent money like a drunken sailor, bowlens money.
    its what shanny does.
    he now has a new patsy in D.C.
    BOWLEN is still paying both shanny and JMCD millions for the priviledge of letting those 2 incompetents ruin his franchise !
    ELWAY now is compelled to operate on a budget.
    TEBOW was last years krispy kreme, he gratified the fans with yummy sugar and hot air, but the 2 johns know the sugar crash is coming THIS season.
    They cant just jerk the bottle from the mouths of the bronco fans with infant minds,
    manning was their one way out!
    RG3 is off the table, they NEED a legitimate QB, for next season and the future,
    so I see them being fiscally frugal and keeping the fans on their tebow formula, if they dont sign manning. continue to add talent via the draft, placate the mindless fans who fill the seats and re-load for a legitimate QB next year.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I certainly don't agree with whats going on now, but I'm not sure I can really blame Bowlen either.

Remember c few years ago when Denver was paying out the highest amlunt of dead cap? Money to players who weren't even on the team? Like 20% of thier cap, with nothing really to show for it?

There's a part of me that can understand where he is coming from with not spending.
    Sure, after Shanny left a bad taste in his mouth I totally understood where he was coming from. Now it just seems odd, we just came off a playoff year and have made some good strides, maybe it's time to open the wallet a little. Doing it for Manning is a no brainer as it will keep the seats filled, but smaller amounts could be spent to keep the defense improving or the running game going. We still have some time left in the FA period, but it seems like we are just going to maintain the status quo unless we get Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Clay this offseason has been pretty much a debacle. We still need corners and a starting caliber MLB. Now we also need multiple DT and a new starting TE. We're not even making lateral moves. We're losing guys. Mike Adams may be a decent player but does he bring the leadership of a Dawkins? I'm pissed as well.
    All the issues you state have been issues for the past 10+ years. We have always needed Saftey, DT and MLB help. I hope we get the dude out of Baltimore, but... Maybe he doesnt want to be here, or wants way to much money.

The only make or break player out there is Manning.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    The part I find concerning is that we're not even signing our own guys who were big in helping us have a much better season last season than we ever expected.

We let Fells walk. Bunk is on his way out. Yet we resign Mays? WTF is that? This offseason without landing Manning is shit.
    had to re-sign mays, hes the only LB on the roster who isnt under suspension!
    bunk aint gone yet, stop packing his bags.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

17. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    All the issues you state have been issues for the past 10+ years. We have always needed Saftey, DT and MLB help. I hope we get the dude out of Baltimore, but... Maybe he doesnt want to be here, or wants way to much money.

The only make or break player out there is Manning.
    If it comes down to personnel for Manning, does he go to the place where they are losing people and not replacing them or a place like the 49ers, where they have the pieces and are trying to figure out how to stay under the cap? I would hate to lose out on Manning because our owner is cheap.

I can't imagine Denver is desireable to Manning. He knows he will make us better, but he also has to know we aren't winning anything of significance anytime soon.
    I think he feels the same way about Tennessee, which si why he hasn't committed yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

and BDB is one of the more level headed posters we have on this site. You start seeing these types of posts from him and it's time to check your pulse.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    If it comes down to personnel for Manning, does he go to the place where they are losing people and not replacing them or a place like the 49ers, where they have the pieces and are trying to figure out how to stay under the cap? I would hate to lose out on Manning because our owner is cheap.
    If we lose out on manning, it wont be because of money. It could be offensive talent. But, I didnt really see anyone in FA that would have fixed that. And, if there was, its hard to lure a wr here when Tebow is our QB.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information