Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Mock Offseason

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default Assassin's Mock Offseason

Going into this ofseason, we have some very glaring needs which include getting younger at CB, getting some pressure from the DT position and getting more weapons and protection for Tebow.

Denver also has some areas of concern that may or may not be improved by simply developoing the young talent that we have collected. These areas include interior OLine, TE, MLB and Safety.

I know that I have referenced most positions on the field, but most do need some tweaking in one way or another. I will first give a position by position rundown and then will move on to free agent and draft ideas.

QB-Tebow is obviously going to get his shot in 2012. Even with Weber behind him, we'll still need a 3rd QB. I don't see Quinn sticking around.

RB-After watching our offense last year, 1 thing is apparent...our need to form a strong stable of RBs. Fox's history and last year's offense clearly supports this assertion.

OLine-We've looked very good at times, and very bad at times. There are injury questions for next year in the interior and, although Franklin is clearly a future force, it has yet to be detemined whether that will be at RT or OG.

TE-Journeymen and rookies with pass catching potential.

WR-Young talent, but no real depth.

DLine-Whether or not we retaine our current DTs, we must bring in fresh blood as well. AT DE, we are pretty solid for now.

LB-We are set on the outside, but have 2 rookies and Mays inside. I'm very concerned with what we have in the middle. IMO, this must be addressed in the draft or via FA.

CB-Old. Although the Jayhawk was a very nice surprise, we MUST get younger at the position.

Safety-This, much like TE and MLB, is a perplexing position for us. Two rookies were drafted in 2011, but there are still question marks...especially if Dawkins goes back to Philly and/or retires. My take...leve it alone for 1 more year and see how the rooks develop.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

FREE AGENTS

While I'm not a big believer in overspending in Free Agency, I do believe that Denver can invest wisely. To me, that means paying for guys who have shown they can play, yet are still developing. I also prefer that we grab guys who are in the 26 year old range. The following is a list of players who fit this criteria.

Jameel McClain, MLB, Baltimore Ravens

While I've been a huge proponent of drating a MLB, most notably Dant'a Hightower, I do agree that McClain would be a great addition to our defense. Irving is also on eck, but could be moved to WLB.

Jason Jones, DT, Tennessee Titans

Jones excelled at DT in 2010, but struggled a bit at DE in 2011. He may end up in St. Louis, but I think he would be a solid addition to our defense. He is a very good pass rusher from the inside and would make double teaming our other pass rushers that much more difficult. He's clearly best suited at DT and that's exactly what we'd need him for.

Early Doucet, WR, Arizona Cardinals

I like him. Very strong and won't get pushed around. Good productivity given lack of QB presence in AZ.

Mike Tolbert, RB, San Diego Chargers

We NEED more RBs. Moreno is always hurt. McGahee is old and fumbles a LOT. Ball plays well, but is not a feature talent. Jeremiah Johnson is intriguing, but doesn't block. We need 2 more RBs. Tolbert is very underrated. He's a very strong inside runner and has great hands out of the backfield.

KAMerion Wimbley, OLB, Oakland Raiders

Clearly not a need pick, but it would be great for the defensive rotation and schemes. Plus DJ's suspension is looming.

Last edited by SmilinAssasSin27; 02-05-2012 at 12:09 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Draft picks

ROUND 1
    Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia

If Denver is going to maintain it's run first mentality, the team has to get bigger and nastier up front. This starts with a monster like Glenn. His size and athleticism is just what our interior line needs. He and Franklin can wear down opposing defenses as the games go along, opening up more lanes for the RBs and Tebow to do his magic. Although Beadles, Walton and Kuper have played very well at times, they have also looked overmatched at times. Beadles would be an excellent rotational backup to come in and play as needed.

ROUND 2
    Mike Martin, DT, Michigan

With multiple FA DTs on the roster, the interior DLine will need adressed in the draft and FA. Adding a FA like Jason Jones would do wonders for our interior pass rush, but Denver will still need more. Martin is a player. He has a huge motor and applies a lot of pressure from the inside.

ROUND 3
    Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin

Although I'm not buying into the notion that Tebow's backup needs to fit his style, Wilson does. IMHO, If Tebow does fail, the system will be flushed away with him. I actually believe that Wilson is a legit QB who has similar tools as Tebow. Aside from that, he can also play in a "real" offense. He's been successful as 2 different schools and is uber-athletic. He is passing up baseball to play in the NFL and, if we're adding a QB to the roster this year, he's the one I want.

ROUND 4
    Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas

If Royal bolts via FA, we're going to need a small speedster who can return kicks. Adams is that guy. He is moving up the draft boards a bit, but there are a LOT of quality WR options in this draft. Obtaining FA WRs will be difficult if the pass game doesn't improve, so drafting WRs may be our only option.

ROUND 5A
    Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee

Jackson performed well at Tennessee and offers position flexibility. He is stour vs the run and rushes the passer well. He is actually a more athletic Robert Ayers. I still don't understand why he's not getting any love, but if we can grab him here, he's a steal.

ROUND 5B
    Tauren Poole, RB, Tennessee

Nothing fancy about Poole, but there are a lot of similarities in his game, and college career, to Arian Foster. Poole was very productive, but not overly dynamic. He had a down senior season, but that had more to do with the youth at Tennessee that Poole himself. He would be a good fit in our current system.

ROUND 7
    Terance Ganaway, RB, Baylor

Ganaway is another big back worth taking a flier on. I don't think we can have enough RBs who can pound the middle.

Last edited by SmilinAssasSin27; 02-05-2012 at 01:05 AM.

6. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Good work SA. I'm not sure if you left out Prater on purpose or not, but we absolutely must re-sign him. An offense with Tebow is an offense that is going to be close at the end of the game more often than not. Prater is money. I believe he's only missed one kick in the 4th quarter and OT in his entire career. Add that to being able to kick the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs, and he's a top 3 kicker in the NFL.

I love the free agent list outside of Tolbert. While I like his style, I think we need to add more speed to the backfield. We already have a banger and goal line back in McGahee.

Glen is the 2nd rated guard on the board right now, but I like Zeitler out of Wisconsin better. He fits what we do here with pulling our guards frequently, and he can be had in the 2nd.

Mike Martin is a solid player. I don't think that he has star potential, but he can be a solid pro.

Ganaway is intruiging. He brings some size and the ability to move to FB.

I'm onboard with Malik Jackson. He's an underrated prospect who has the potential to be one heck of a player in the NFL. I don't know why he's not getting any love either.

Good job overall.

8. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Good call on Prater...oversight on my part.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Good work SA. I'm not sure if you left out Prater on purpose or not, but we absolutely must re-sign him. An offense with Tebow is an offense that is going to be close at the end of the game more often than not. Prater is money. I believe he's only missed one kick in the 4th quarter and OT in his entire career. Add that to being able to kick the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs, and he's a top 3 kicker in the NFL.

I love the free agent list outside of Tolbert. While I like his style, I think we need to add more speed to the backfield. We already have a banger and goal line back in McGahee.

Glen is the 2nd rated guard on the board right now, but I like Zeitler out of Wisconsin better. He fits what we do here with pulling our guards frequently, and he can be had in the 2nd.

Mike Martin is a solid player. I don't think that he has star potential, but he can be a solid pro.

Ganaway is intruiging. He brings some size and the ability to move to FB.

I'm onboard with Malik Jackson. He's an underrated prospect who has the potential to be one heck of a player in the NFL. I don't know why he's not getting any love either.

Good job overall.
    Technically, Moreno is still a Bronco. And while he's not a burner, he has solid speed. I am also intrigued by Jeremiah. We can't depend on McGahee much longer due to his age. He needs a lot of help as he was often banged up this year. I want big horses who can also catch. I don't want blocking liabilities in the backfield. I want the defenses to be off balance. If Tolbert or Poole are lined up in the backfield, defenses have to be ready for run and pass, as well as for the potential that our RB can actually handle a blitz.

I could go w/ either Glenn or Zeitler. I just believe with our offense, we need to wear folks down. Glenn ofers that more so than Zeitler.

There is sumthin about Martin that I love. His energy is contagious and he can flat out play. Maybe not a star, but a very solid contributor and potential starter. I'll gladly take that w/ any late 2nd round pick.

I considered going DT/OG rather than OG/DT, but I'm not sold on Cox or Worthy at 25 and I admittedly don't know much about the OGs after the top 4...all of whom would be gone by 57. Although Ta'amu is intriguing, I'm not sure about him at 25 either.

Adopted Bronco:

The key to the draft is FA. Thats going to dictate where we go. But even if we sign a Db...we have to draft another. We are too old back there and need a transformation. The offense is young and can still improve, but you cant coach someone to be younger.

Its a strange cycle this team has gotten into. When we have a dominant secondary, the front 7 is weak. When the front 7 improves, the secondary is aged and littered with mediocrity. Gotta get them in synch

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I do agree that we need more youth in the secondary, but we still have numbers there. Champ, Goodman, Jayhawk appear to be our top 3 CBs and will return. Additionally, we have Vaughn and Quad, plus any other misfits we added in along the way. I think signing 1 younger CB now is enough. Champ's $11million will be off the books in the near future. At that point, we can make a splash.

As far a Safety is concerned, I think we have to see what the youngsters can do. We have a lot of holes and the roster won't be fixed in 1 offseason. If we throw a lot of resources at the secondary while we still have capable, yet aging, players, we will have to ignore other areas.

14. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Its a strange cycle this team has gotten into. When we have a dominant secondary, the front 7 is weak. When the front 7 improves, the secondary is aged and littered with mediocrity. Gotta get them in synch
    Until we get a good MLB on this team, our front 7 is still weak. Having 2 great young pass rushers is a luxury most teams don't have, but your front 7 is only as good as your weakest link. When your weakest link is at MLB, you're in trouble. We need our next Al Wilson. This defense hasn't been good since we lost the heart and soul of the defense.

Right now, I'd settle for average at MLB. I hope that Irving is what I though he was when we drafted him. It wouldn't surprise me in the least though to see that 25th pick used on a guy like Hightower or Burfict. It's time to get strong up the middle. This team needs to actually invest in an UT and a MLB.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I do agree that we need more youth in the secondary, but we still have numbers there. Champ, Goodman, Jayhawk appear to be our top 3 CBs and will return. Additionally, we have Vaughn and Quad, plus any other misfits we added in along the way. I think signing 1 younger CB now is enough. Champ's $11million will be off the books in the near future. At that point, we can make a splash.

As far a Safety is concerned, I think we have to see what the youngsters can do. We have a lot of holes and the roster won't be fixed in 1 offseason. If we throw a lot of resources at the secondary while we still have capable, yet aging, players, we will have to ignore other areas.
    I get your point, but why wait until Champ and Goodman are dead before we replace them with actual talent? The reason the elite teams are elite is because they have someone with skill and experience waiting to take over. Get a vet and another youngster in here to learn from one of the best. Calling Vaughn and Thompson our "depth", sends a shiver up my spine.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I get your point, but why wait until Champ and Goodman are dead before we replace them with actual talent? The reason the elite teams are elite is because they have someone with skill and experience waiting to take over. Get a vet and another youngster in here to learn from one of the best. Calling Vaughn and Thompson our "depth", sends a shiver up my spine.
    I agree with you completely Coach. The last 2 FO's have left this team talent poor at a lot of positions. Elway's not stupid. His 3 year plan may be a bit optimistic, but at least he knows that this team isn't a player or 6 from being elite. It's easy to understand why they would rather trade down in the draft and acquire more picks than the other way around.

Cornerback is one of the hardest positions to fill in free agency, because of the salary demands that come with the good ones. The Broncos need to attack that position in the draft, and bring in a couple of value guys in free agency.

I would love to pick up Meachem. He uses his size well. The way he's played in that Saint's offense is the same way he played in college.

I like Russell Wilson. Other than Luck/RGIII, who I don't want because they will be top 5/10 picks and starters, Wilson is the one I like most.

I like Adams as a very good return man. Picks one and two seem like safe picks. It's easy to overlook the offensive line, people want skill players. But games are won and lost in the trenches. You know I love the fifth round picks. I remember looking up the kids from Baylor. I really like him, but at the time I got the impression he wouldn't be there too late in the draft. Has he started to become overlooked?

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I would love to pick up Meachem. He uses his size well. The way he's played in that Saint's offense is the same way he played in college.

I like Russell Wilson. Other than Luck/RGIII, who I don't want because they will be top 5/10 picks and starters, Wilson is the one I like most.

I like Adams as a very good return man. Picks one and two seem like safe picks. It's easy to overlook the offensive line, people want skill players. But games are won and lost in the trenches. You know I love the fifth round picks. I remember looking up the kids from Baylor. I really like him, but at the time I got the impression he wouldn't be there too late in the draft. Has he started to become overlooked?
    Ganaway is a classic bruiser who lacks a second gear. He also looked lost in pass protection at the senior bowl. I think the 6th or the 7th is pretty accurate for him. Love his effort and character and he has the pedigree.

21. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

My Ganaway analysis was pre-Senior Bowl. So that makes sense. I'd love to get him in the 7th to see what happens.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    My Ganaway analysis was pre-Senior Bowl. So that makes sense. I'd love to get him in the 7th to see what happens.
    In all honesty he may be one of those guys that gets converted to fb. I still wish we'd taken a shot at Clay last year, or Blount, Dwyer, Dixon or Scott the previous year. Love them bruisers
    Last edited by Jsteve01; 02-09-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information