Poll: What would make Manning's acquisition a success?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would make the Manning acquisition a success?

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Yeah because Gabbert really lit it up

Do some of you even think before you type?

I want PM too but the way so many people have used this as an oportunity to jump on the Tebow shit talk bandwagon is ******* annoying as Hell.
    It was meant as a joke(not a good one obviously). I did not watch a single Jax game. If we get Manning then to me it means Tebow must go. We will need another QB to back up Manning but with his rabid fan base, and completely different skill set I don't think it should be Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Yeah because Gabbert really lit it up

Do some of you even think before you type?

I want PM too but the way so many people have used this as an oportunity to jump on the Tebow shit talk bandwagon is ******* annoying as Hell.
    Jacksonville is suprisingly high on Gabbert, their fanbase thinks next year will be his breakout year if only they can get him some talent around him

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

AFC Champs at 23%
    Superbowl Appearance at 26%

These are essentially the same thing aren't they?

Regardless, it seems that most think its Superbowl Appearance or bust if we get Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by vandammage13 View Post
    AFC Champs at 23%

Regardless, it seems that most think its Superbowl Appearance or bust if we get Manning.
    Yeah, they are essentially the same thing, that's my bad.

But I agree... most have pretty high expectations if we sign Manning. I personally can't imagine us being AFC champs next year even if we get Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

There is only one reason that we would be bringing Manning and that would be to win a Super Bowl.

That said I can't think of even one time where quarterback of his caliber has won a Super Bowl as a starter for two different teams.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

AFC Champs at 23%

I don't think so. The reason you get a guy like Manning is win a Super Bowl not just get to AFCCG.

7. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Does all of this imply that if Manning doesn't bring us home a trophy that this pickup is a failure?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

If he signs with a team other than the Broncos, and eats up their salary with his rubber neck.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

I agree...The expectation of SB will be there...Not sure if it's realistic or even fair to Manning, but that's what it will be.

Many will assume if we can get to the Divisional round with Tebow, then there's no reason we can't make it to the Superbowl with Manning.

This line of thinking makes sense on the surface, but there are many holes on this team IMO and I think we overachieved (regardless of what you think about our QB play) last year...We were not good team last year...Decent, but far from good.

In all honesty, if Peyton were our QB this past season, I don't think we would have went any further than we did without him....Maybe a better regular season record, but we wouldn't have made much noise in the playoffs.

11. The Following User High Fived vandammage13 For This Post:

The poll says AFC Champs, not AFCCG appearance.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Assuming we did sign Peyton to at least 1 year deal, under what circumstances would you consider that deal a success?

Vote, discuss, and show your work when explaining your choice please.

I would also like to appeal, up front, that this not degrade into a flame war regarding your personal prefer... oh who am I kidding?

edit: Also, you can choose more than 1 option if you'd like, just please be sure to explain.

Only a success if Mario Williams was the major acquisition on the defensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Only a success if Mario Williams was the major acquisition on the defensive side.
    If we could land Manning, Wayne, and Mario Williams the expectations would be through the roof.

With a guy like Manning leading the way, I don't think it would be a repeat of what the Eagles went through last year with their "Dream Team"

Looking at the AFC, its wide open, so I can see why people will be expecting at least a SB appearance...Winning against a much deeper NFC is a different story altogether.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

If we could land Manning, Wayne, and Mario Williams the expectations would be through the roof.

With a guy like Manning leading the way, I don't think it would be a repeat of what the Eagles went through last year with their "Dream Team"

Looking at the AFC, its wide open, so I can see why people will be expecting at least a SB appearance...Winning against a much deeper NFC is a different story altogether.
    Just those two major dollar acquisitions would be fine with me. Still not sure, if we land Manning, if the investment is a good one. His health issues really concern me. As I Stated in another thread, hopefully the team has clauses in the contract that will protect them if Manning misses considerable time due to his neck issues. It'd be totally negligent if they didn't.

Although a pipe dream, landing Williams would definitely set the defense up to be one of the most formidable in the league. Almost on par with the NYG.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Just those two major dollar acquisitions would be fine with me. Still not sure, if we land Manning, if the investment is a good one. His health issues really concern me. As I Stated in another thread, hopefully the team has clauses in the contract that will protect them if Manning misses considerable time due to his neck issues. It'd be totally negligent if they didn't.

Although a pipe dream, landing Williams would definitely set the defense up to be one of the most formidable in the league. Almost on par with the NYG.
    I have reservations on Manning due to his health concerns as well...However, I do think that it is worth the risk. We do not have to invest picks in him, only $$....Sure, if he gets hurt then that could set us back a year or so, but again, I think the risk is worth the reward.

If we do land Manning, we'll probably move Tebow as well, which would mean we might be able to get another much needed draft pick from a team like Jacksonville.

I'd hate to see Tebow go, but if its for Manning, sign me up. As big of a fan of Tebow that I am, if there's someone out there that can improve this team (Manning is better) then I have no problem with it.

17. The Following User High Fived vandammage13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I think there is short term success and long term success. For the short term success, I would want to see the team win the AFC West and be in the hunt for a 1st round bye. Then in the playoffs, we need to be competitive, win or lose, hopefully at least an AFC Championship game.

For the long term success, we would need to keep Tebow and have him continue to develop and come out of the gates a much better thrower when Manning is done. Like Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers when they took over from HOFers. If they trade Tebow, and he becomes a consistent pro-bowl QB wherever he ends up then the long term plan will be a failure. If they trade him and he doesn't improve, then whew we at least got something out of him.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information