Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Is Cutler a winner?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Seriously? To me that's more of a thank you. Did Dan Marino buying Isotoner gloves for his linemen make him a leader? No, rallying the troops, building their trust in him and taking them to accomplishments did.

Now, when Jay spends time on and off the field building confidence with his teammates (not just the ones that are his buddies) and gets them to all buy into him and they rally around him and do positive things...I'll buy it.

people look at Eddie Royal and say he thinks Jay is a great leader. Not much coming from a 23 year old, but look deeper. Eddie says, "Jay is my FRIEND, but I'll let management take care of that".

Nowhere does anyone say, "Jay is the heart and soul of this team, I'd do anything on the field for him because we all tick to his heartbeat". no one is standing up and defending him or being adamant about his return. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Agreed. However, he's still a kid. He's only 25yrs old. I'm pretty sure he'll mature.

I've got a 24 yr old daughter. She's a smart kid but doesn't always make the right decisions either. I know I didn't and I'm sure none of you did either.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I guess my bottom line is, I don't really understand the complete and total adoration of Cutler at this point. He's not good in public, or with the public, rarely grants interviews with the local press (even before this mess), and when he did had a total "who cares" attitude.

The guy has all the physical skills of an Elway, but his head and personality is on a different planet.
    The same is true on the flip side though. I don't really understand the villification of him at this point. He has played pretty well for a young QB on a team with poor running game and a defense that gives it up easier than Paris Hilton. And in large part, I don't think that the offensive coordinator has done an efficient job with playcalling either.

Some of the people here make Cutler sound like a second rate scrub. I don't think he has handled this situation well and wish someone would give him a swift kick, but by no means do I think that Denver would be a better team without him. It is rediculous to think that Denver could find a better QB than Cutler and that they could get better play from some journeyman QB like some around here suggest.

I won't make up excuses for him and I certainly don't adore him. He makes a lot of dumb decisions. He forces a ton of passes and focuses too hard on 1 WR. He also wants to go for the big play all the time. These issues can be addressed though and so I am willing to give him time to grow up. As to the press, to be honest, I don't care how he handles the press (though I wish he'd just learn to keep quiet). I care more about handling pressure and the issues above on the field more than if he gives good interviews or has a positive attitude doing it. The press are dumb asses so I could really care less about how he interviews with them.

3. The Following 7 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

...and I think I can say MOST of us really want this cleared up and to have Jay be our QB for the next 10+ years. However, if he continues to stay the path...we have no choice but to move on

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Yes, Cutler is a whiner.

Come on draft day! I can't wait till we have something else to talk about.

7. The Following User High Fived broncogirl For This Post:

Jay winner not yet and considering his actions over that past couple of years.. I have concerns that he will be a consistent winner..

there is NO doubt he has the tools to get the job done..he has a great arm is mobile can make all the throws.. might be a good leader, seems to be smart..

But then there is the forcing of passes, turnovers in the red zone.. and now the latest chapter of playing the petulant little girl..

Will he ever mature into a strong leader that is a TEAM players or will he be a me guy like the latest chapter seems to be taking over..

What ever happens I hope that Xman, Josh and Pat do not give into his agent and give him a new contract to get him back in the fold in Dove Valley..

Like dealing with five year olds one does not give into them, they give them a smack on the ass and set in the corner till they behave..

regardless of what happens with jay, this team will not be a huge winner this coming season due to the almost total change over in personnel on D and new schemes on both sides of the LOS..

we have not even touched on ST's, by default they should be better just because personnel and coaching will be better but not enough to get us to the super bowl like many on here pine for...

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by broncogirl View Post
    Yes, Cutler is a whiner.

Come on draft day! I can't wait till we have something else to talk about.
    yummy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Where is the stat MO that shows that when Jay took over the reigns the offense was scoring more points...I dont know the stat by heart but i believe it was close to:

Jake 17-19 points per game
    Jay 20-23 points per game

Why did you not post that stat? It seems to me that Jay did his job, he came in and scored more points on offense than Jake did. Isnt that all that can be asked of Jay- to outproduce your predicesor?

PS- For the record, for everyone. I was a jake fan, and a jake supporter, but facts are facts- Jay has a lot more of "it" than jake does.
    so what your saying is youd rather score 40 points a game and lose than score 10 and win? Points dont matter as long as you win..... please explain yourself about that comment because i dont get that at all..... Qb's manage the game, and its there job to win the game, jay didnt do his job of winning the game..... Jay also threw how many INTS? How many fumbles he have? you left those two stats out right there
    Wishlist -
    Rey Maualuga (that right Lynch?)
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

11. The Following User High Fived bullis26 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by getlynched47 View Post
    He was a rookie with an undrafted rookie Runningback as his only thread, and a deteriorating defense who's play drastically fell off a cliff after that Thanksgiving game in Kansas City.

Don't even bring up Cutler's rookie year.

He didnt have Michael Turner or an Atlanta Falcons defense...

or the #1 Rushing offense in the league (Baltimore) and Ray Lewis on defense...

Those are the only reasons why Flacco and Matt Ryan were very successful their rookie season. Cutler didn't have that.
    excuses
    Wishlist -
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by broncohead View Post
    So football is no longer a team sport? Maybe he should play off., def., and special teams so he can really be blaimed for the losses. That's just an ignorant statement.
    ummm.... the QB's job is to win games, thats how QB's are measured.... How many people do you hear say dan marino was better than Joe Montana? Not many because its the QB's job to win you the game... yes football is a team sport, but if you have a horrible QB its hard to win, you could have bad WR's and win, a bad LT and win, etc.(you also could have a bad qb and win, but its much harder to do that)..... QB is the most important player on the field they touch the ball about every play(unless a trick play, then not always)

Look at the past few superbowls, Roethlisberger, Manning, Manning, Brady, Warner.... only one superbowl team of the past 3 years had a bad QB(grossman)and the bears lost that game because of him
    but those teams all had weak spots, and that just helps prove my point
    Wishlist -
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Maybe if the defense didn't give up soooooo many points we could have commited to the run and wouldn't have had to play catch up all the time.

Now, don't get me wrong, Jay does try to force the ball sometimes when he shouldn't. But, he's still very young. He'll get better with experience.
    exactly. Jay will be better with experience AND a defense that can actually get a stop once in a while...

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

15. The Following User High Fived getlynched47 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Jay winner not yet and considering his actions over that past couple of years.. I have concerns that he will be a consistent winner..

there is NO doubt he has the tools to get the job done..he has a great arm is mobile can make all the throws.. might be a good leader, seems to be smart..

But then there is the forcing of passes, turnovers in the red zone.. and now the latest chapter of playing the petulant little girl..

Will he ever mature into a strong leader that is a TEAM players or will he be a me guy like the latest chapter seems to be taking over..

What ever happens I hope that Xman, Josh and Pat do not give into his agent and give him a new contract to get him back in the fold in Dove Valley..

Like dealing with five year olds one does not give into them, they give them a smack on the ass and set in the corner till they behave..

regardless of what happens with jay, this team will not be a huge winner this coming season due to the almost total change over in personnel on D and new schemes on both sides of the LOS..

we have not even touched on ST's, by default they should be better just because personnel and coaching will be better but not enough to get us to the super bowl like many on here pine for...
    Jrwiz, you can say the same things about Plummer, and I know you think of him as a winner. Talk about terrible win-loss record throughout his first 6 seasons in the league; talk about a turnover machine; talk about forcing throws, even as late as his 10th year in the league. And talk about character, he flipped off a fan, road raged on someone, and shouted to a writer that Shanny could kiss his ass. That's all from a 10 year veteran.

Give Cutler a chance. Though he's thrown a lot of INTs, he's also thrown a lot of TDs and for a lot of yards. He's had a lot of game-winning comebacks. His 3rd down ratio is supposed to be among the top in the league, as well as his 4th quarter scoring. Several times, he has to do that with poor field position.

He's never been the type who doesn't work hard nor doesn't obey his coaches; what he's doing now, though, has to do with what he thinks is best for his career, as advised by his agent. They're looking for a trade, and they're playing to win ... somewhat. He still says he'll attend the mandatories, so he's not holding out ... yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

It really doesn't matter anymore...

The Broncos organization has given up on trying to fix this relationship with Cutler. That was our only hope to keep Cutler.

He's a goner now

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

18. The Following User High Fived getlynched47 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quan Cosby

not yet

close thread

tia
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Jrwiz, you can say the same things about Plummer, and I know you think of him as a winner. Talk about terrible win-loss record throughout his first 6 seasons in the league; talk about a turnover machine; talk about forcing throws, even as late as his 10th year in the league. And talk about character, he flipped off a fan, road raged on someone, and shouted to a writer that Shanny could kiss his ass. That's all from a 10 year veteran.

Give Cutler a chance. Though he's thrown a lot of INTs, he's also thrown a lot of TDs and for a lot of yards. He's had a lot of game-winning comebacks. His 3rd down ratio is supposed to be among the top in the league, as well as his 4th quarter scoring. Several times, he has to do that with poor field position.

He's never been the type who doesn't work hard nor doesn't obey his coaches; what he's doing now, though, has to do with what he thinks is best for his career, as advised by his agent. They're looking for a trade, and they're playing to win ... somewhat. He still says he'll attend the mandatories, so he's not holding out ... yet.
    hey at firsts I was not a big Jake fan.. saw one of his last games in PHX against Den It think it was and we was player never gave up.. SO that kinda endeared me to him.. and when he came here I was still on the I believe mikey bandwagon..

Was Jake a good fit for DEN no But he was a heel of f a lot better that Cordell would have been..

Now we really know that jay had no intention to contact the Broncos and try..

so off he goes to the highest bidder.. IMO good riddance.. he was a punk that may turn into the next Jeff George and his actions lately lean more to that theory than being the next John Elway..

I believe when Jay was drafted I said he would rue the day he came to DEN.. Might have been right on that call afterall..

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    hey at firsts I was not a big Jake fan.. saw one of his last games in PHX against Den It think it was and we was player never gave up.. SO that kinda endeared me to him.. and when he came here I was still on the I believe mikey bandwagon..

Was Jake a good fit for DEN no But he was a heel of f a lot better that Cordell would have been..

Now we really know that jay had no intention to contact the Broncos and try..

so off he goes to the highest bidder.. IMO good riddance.. he was a punk that may turn into the next Jeff George and his actions lately lean more to that theory than being the next John Elway..

I believe when Jay was drafted I said he would rue the day he came to DEN.. Might have been right on that call afterall..
    Actually, I think Jake was a good fit for Denver's offense that Shanahan built to his strengths; the rushing offense, the bootlegs, throwing on the run. I'm not a Plummer fan, but I have to admit it was effective. I didn't think it was enough for a superbowl, but still effective.

We have differing opinions of Jay; I don't think he's a punk. He works hard, studies hard, listens to his coaches, treats his friends well, set up a diabetes foundation for kids; I just think he wears his emotions on his sleeve too much for his own good. He could use a lot of coaching there, about how to conduct himself in the media, how to say the right things, the way high profile players from big colleges are taught to do so.

Someone posted an article here recently, dated 1990 I think, showing that Elway was at that time perceived as a whiner, and he said he was gonna change his ways.

Where we differ in opinions is this; if (when?) the Broncos let Jay go, I believe it's this organization that will rue the day that happened.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information