Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockies Change World Series Ticket Sales Policy

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

http://www.9news.com/news/top-articl...?storyid=79369

200 state workers part of plan to buy Rockies tickets with EOC computers
    written by: Jeffrey Wolf , Web Producer
    reported by: Deborah Sherman , Investigative Reporter

CENTENNIAL – A 9Wants to Know investigation has uncovered a plan by 200 state workers to buy Rockies World Series tickets using fast, state-owned supercomputers.

The computers are at the Colorado Emergency Operations Center in Centennial.

The plan was hatched in an e-mail sent out on Friday morning. The e-mail says they were going to start at around 9:30 a.m. on Monday morning. The tickets are set to go on sale on ColoradoRockies.com on Monday at 10 a.m.

The e-mail was sent at 11:41 a.m. on Friday by David Holm, who had recently been the acting director of the Division of Emergency Management.

The e-mail was sent to all employees in his department, the Department of Local Affairs.

The e-mail states that Susan Kirkpatrick, the executive director of the Department of Local Affairs, has approved their plan to buy World Series tickets on the state's computers.

"I need volunteers to help push the buttons in attempting access. You will need to use break time, lunch time or leave time to do this and the only real perk I can offer right now is that if someone does not pay for their tickets within 3 days, you will get first crack at them," said Holm in the e-mail.

Holm says they will be using the personal credit cards from Kirkpatrick and Holm, and not their own.

The plan was to buy tickets until they were sold out or when the department had as many as it wanted.

Click here to read the entire e-mail.

The Colorado EOC opened two years ago. There are at least 30 computers in the center, which are supposed to be used by local, federal and state officials in emergencies.

The group Colorado Ethics Watch says the computers should not be used for personal gain.

"Even if it were open to all state employees, it's still a misuse of public resources. Taxpayers did not invest in an emergency response center so that state employees could use it for their own personal advantage and buy baseball tickets," said Chantelle Taylor with Colorado Ethics Watch.

9Wants to Know spoke with Kirkpatrick and she said the plan has now been squashed.

She said in retrospect, it was not the best idea to use the EOC computers, even though her IT personnel told her it would not compromise security.

Kirkpatrick says that means state employees will now buy Rockies like everyone else on Monday. She said they are allowed to use the state computer they normally use because she doesn't want them leaving work.

(Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

CENTENNIAL – A 9Wants to Know investigation has uncovered a plan by 200 state workers to buy Rockies World Series tickets using fast, state-owned supercomputers.

The plan was hatched in an e-mail sent out on Friday morning. The e-mail says they were going to start at around 9:30 a.m. on Monday morning. The tickets are set to go on sale on ColoradoRockies.com on Monday at 10 a.m.

The e-mail was sent at 11:41 a.m. on Friday by David Holm, who had recently been the acting director of the Division of Emergency Management.

The e-mail was sent to all employees in his department, the Department of Local Affairs.

The e-mail states that Susan Kirkpatrick, the executive director of the Department of Local Affairs, has approved their plan to buy World Series tickets on the state's computers.

"I need volunteers to help push the buttons in attempting access. You will need to use break time, lunch time or leave time to do this and the only real perk I can offer right now is that if someone does not pay for their tickets within 3 days, you will get first crack at them," said Holm in the e-mail.

Holm says they will be using the personal credit cards from Kirkpatrick and Holm, and not their own.

The plan was to buy tickets until they were sold out or when the department had as many as it wanted.

The Colorado EOC opened two years ago. There are at least 30 computers in the center, which are supposed to be used by local, federal and state officials in emergencies.

The group Colorado Ethics Watch says the computers should not be used for personal gain.

"Even if it were open to all state employees, it's still a misuse of public resources. Taxpayers did not invest in an emergency response center so that state employees could use it for their own personal advantage and buy baseball tickets," said Chantelle Taylor with Colorado Ethics Watch.

9Wants to Know spoke with Kirkpatrick and she said the plan has now been squashed.

She said in retrospect, it was not the best idea to use the EOC computers, even though her IT personnel told her it would not compromise security.

Kirkpatrick says that means state employees will now buy Rockies like everyone else on Monday. She said they are allowed to use the state computer they normally use because she doesn't want them leaving work.

Interesting. I remember when the White Sox were in the world series, everyone at where I was working at the time was trying to get tickets-- Cubs and Sox fans alike. Cubs fans were going to sell their tickets to White Sox fans at a healthy profit.

Anyway, I have a question. Who funded the building of Coors Field? Im guessing it was taxpayers? If thats the case, perhaps they need to look at putting stipulations into the lease agreement that exists with the Rockies that outlines how situations like this will be handled. Public funds werent earmarked to be misused in the case of the emergency computers but and depending on ones perspective they werent earmarked for a stadium so that people can be taken advantage of.

I sent an email to check on the payment options for the tickets, and Visa is available.
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Interesting. I remember when the White Sox were in the world series, everyone at where I was working at the time was trying to get tickets-- Cubs and Sox fans alike. Cubs fans were going to sell their tickets to White Sox fans at a healthy profit.

Anyway, I have a question. Who funded the building of Coors Field? Im guessing it was taxpayers? If thats the case, perhaps they need to look at putting stipulations into the lease agreement that exists with the Rockies that outlines how situations like this will be handled. Public funds werent earmarked to be misused in the case of the emergency computers but and depending on ones perspective they werent earmarked for a stadium so that people can be taken advantage of.
    http://www.denverequities.com/involvement.htm

On August 14, 1990, the voters in the six counties approved a 1/10th of a 1% sales tax increase 187,539 to 157,954 votes (54% to 46%). The legislation provided that once Denver secured a MLB franchise, the sales tax increase would go into effect to provide the necessary funding for a new stadium. When the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club was approved by MLB on July 5, 1991, construction began on Coors Field.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

Hahaha! Those nerds!

Man, I hope your Rockies beat those stupid Red Sox...they are just as cocky as the stupid Patriots. Go Rockies!!

What an outstanding method. This is a joke. Can't even get on the site because of the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Hahaha! Those nerds!

Man, I hope your Rockies beat those stupid Red Sox...they are just as cocky as the stupid Patriots. Go Rockies!!
    No that are not stupid cocky Patriots

two totally diferent organizations etc.

The Patriots are better but the Sox have heart etc.

but we shall see.

I know most here hate the Sox, so I feel like a true outsider in this regard

Adopted Bronco:

http://www.9news.com/news/top-articl...?storyid=79510

Rockies: System went down because of attack

DENVER – The Colorado Rockies say tickets for the World Series will again be sold online starting Tuesday at noon after an attack brought down the Web site on Monday.

Rockies Spokesperson Jay Alves said on Monday night that ColoradoRockies.com was the victim of an "external malicious attack" that caused a system-wide outage with Paciolan.

Paciolan is Major League Baseball's ticket vendor. The outage impacted all of its North American customers.

The Rockies suspended the sale of tickets on Monday around noon after the system went down.

The Rockies initially said the system went down because of the heavy traffic to the Web site. They said there were 8.5 million hits on the Rockies Web site after the tickets went on sale.

"It's been an extremely frustrating morning for our fans and the entire Rockies organization," said Keli McGregor, the Rockies team president.

The Rockies said less than 500 seats were sold after the tickets went on sale and before the system-wide outage.

An angry crowd gathered outside Coors Field on Monday in reaction to the ticket outage. They shouted "We want tickets" when Alves told the crowd they were working with Paciolan on the problem.

Alves says they will not be selling the tickets at Coors Field.

The Rockies said fewer than 20,000 tickets - less than half of Coors Field's 50,449 seats - would be available for general sale in each World Series game in Denver. The remaining seats are allotted to season-ticket holders, the two teams and Major League Baseball.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Yea I saw that.
    Good stuff.
    They also said they have a backup plan.
    Which could mean you have to go down to the Box Office's at the stadium.
    That would suck

and I've read that its at noon.
    Thats noon mountain time right?
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Soooo....How is the same thing not going to happen again tomorrow that happened today.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Soooo....How is the same thing not going to happen again tomorrow that happened today.
    bigger better faster servers designed to actually deal with multi million hits.

At least 250,000 of those must have been from me on the 2 comps at work!

Add me on Facebook!

Another 500k hits from my 4 personal pcs at home

They are just lucky I didn't do what I had planned...

When it wasn't loading right I thought about writing a program that would constantly every couple of minutes auto load the web page so that I could just watch to see if it came up rather than click it myself. If I had done that it would have been even more hits

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Another 500k hits from my 4 personal pcs at home

They are just lucky I didn't do what I had planned...

When it wasn't loading right I thought about writing a program that would constantly every couple of minutes auto load the web page so that I could just watch to see if it came up rather than click it myself. If I had done that it would have been even more hits
    You could send it to me and I could run it on the dirty browser at work!

Add me on Facebook!

LOL. I currently actually have it built just need to put a pause button in it actually so if a page does come up you can stop the refresh cycle as that would be pissy to have it refresh just as you hit submit

Program has 3 different tabs, each with it's own web page loaded in it.

I can't really do anything with it yet though until I have the 3 links they are going to use for each game then I will assign the link to each windows form to load that certain url on that tab.

Then every about minute and a half it will reload the web site on each of those tabs.

I also wouldn't mind going in there and seeing if I can't get it so that the tabs themselves switch around so that while you are sitting there you don't have to click the tabs to see which has loaded it will just cycle through the tabs every 15 seconds or so but I need to play with that part.

So I will get what I can done on it until noon so I can get the 3 links and pop them in then compile the program.

Have to see how the server is working too. If it is going like yesterday then the program would have merit, other wise it wouldn't be needed.

If you want to see a rough of what it is you can download the file here:

http://uncharteddevelopments.com/tickets.exe

It has 3 place holder web pages being loaded currently. Refreshes ever about a min and a half. I can adjust that in any direction.

Can pause and start back up.

Only real benefit is if it its like yesterday you wont have to be sitting there hitting refresh it will do that for you. Just need the 3 links for the games themselves and I should beable to have all 3 games being loaded at once without the need for seperate browsers.

Not real fancy but it works, now just remains to be seen if it is even worth using depending on how the system works today.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information