Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Best Metal Band Tournament

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    FFS North, I know you can't please everybody, but you included 64 bands and left Sabbath & Slipknot off the list, yet included such nobodies as Helloween, Voiod, WinterSun, Rhapsody of Fire?

    You and thnikk can be such music snobs.
    Man...and too think i left off the best band eva in Linkin Park. Shame on me.

  2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:


  3. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Huachuca
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    My final four....old Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth, and Pantera. Sepultura, Anthrax, InFlames, Fear Factory and iced Earth would be up in my top 10

  4. The Following User High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:


  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    Second round is up and ready.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    21,774

    Default

    I'm playing along...and I like all the bands...but no Sabbath, Slipknot and LOG makes it tough

  7. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


  8. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    http://challonge.com/northman

    3rd Round

    Death
    Testament
    Kataklysm
    At the Gates
    Iron Maiden
    Amon Amarth
    Judas Priest
    Megadeth
    Napalm Death
    Enslaved
    Overkill
    Carcass
    Sepultura
    Fear Factory
    King Diamond
    Metallica

  9. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    http://challonge.com/northman

    Death
    At the Gates
    Iron Maiden
    Megadeth
    Enslaved
    Carcass
    Sepultura
    King Diamond

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    21,774

    Default

    No offense to anyone, but aside from missing some obvious bands...I am pretty shocked by the results of the voting.

    I love Amon Amarth, but better than Pantera?...Death better than Testament?...King Diamond better than Slayer AND Metallica?

    I know it's a poll of opinion, but either there weren't enough participants or the ones that did play along have never followed metal music

  11. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    No offense to anyone, but aside from missing some obvious bands...I am pretty shocked by the results of the voting.

    I love Amon Amarth, but better than Pantera?...Death better than Testament?...King Diamond better than Slayer AND Metallica?

    I know it's a poll of opinion, but either there weren't enough participants or the ones that did play along have never followed metal music

    Well, i know who some of the voters were and i can say they are indeed metalheads. I think what you are seeing here is people who are more fans of more of the undergound bands rather than the commercially successful ones. I myself like AA far more than Pantera despite liking both.

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    21,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, i know who some of the voters were and i can say they are indeed metalheads. I think what you are seeing here is people who are more fans of more of the undergound bands rather than the commercially successful ones. I myself like AA far more than Pantera despite liking both.
    I love AA too, and I guess my thinking is based on total contribution to metal. If that's the case, then AA just hasnt been around long enough to claim that. To be honest...AA is really just a very good Viking metal band. They sound great, but what have they contributed?

    If that result was the only surprise, then I could understand. But I truly fail to see where King Diamond solo or with Mercyful Fate could ever beat the quality of music or contributions of Salyer or early Metallica. Now we can say they have had commercial success all we want, but Iron Maiden is also left on the list as is the most overrated metal band ever...Megadeth.

    So if I'm thinking of underground or non-commercial metal, hardcore, grindcore, death bands that can be considered best ever without commercial success and have contributed to metal today, then I need to see bands like the Cro-Mags, Mayhem, Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, etc added to the list. And bands like Emporer should have done better. If King Diamond is better than Metallica, than Emporer certainly is and by far better than King Diamond. Morbid Angel should also have faired better based on this idea.

    But polls like this are two-fold. The results are a combination of genre knowledge and popularity. My guess is if bands like Slipknot and LOG were added to this list, they would be amongst the remaining participants based on recent popularity and a band like Sabbath would still be around based on respect for creating the genre.

    Just personally speaking, if I were to come across a random article on-line that said at least 6 or 7 of the remaining bands in this poll were the best metal band of all time, I would probably dismiss it immediately. I'm old enough to remember the days of tape trading and following metal music religiously to know that 95% of the bands that call commercial success a "sellout" are the ones that are just pissed that they arent good enough to sell more than a few hundred records.

    At the end of the day, keeping metal music alive is all that's important. Guys like Ian Christie making sure we remember the roots of our music and guys like you keeping us informed of new music are carrying the torches for the one genre of music that never dies and always finds a way to re-invent itself. The answer to this poll is simple and one that anyone with a passion for the music would agree on. There is no one single best ever metal band

  13. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


  14. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I love AA too, and I guess my thinking is based on total contribution to metal. If that's the case, then AA just hasnt been around long enough to claim that. To be honest...AA is really just a very good Viking metal band. They sound great, but what have they contributed?

    If that result was the only surprise, then I could understand. But I truly fail to see where King Diamond solo or with Mercyful Fate could ever beat the quality of music or contributions of Salyer or early Metallica. Now we can say they have had commercial success all we want, but Iron Maiden is also left on the list as is the most overrated metal band ever...Megadeth.

    So if I'm thinking of underground or non-commercial metal, hardcore, grindcore, death bands that can be considered best ever without commercial success and have contributed to metal today, then I need to see bands like the Cro-Mags, Mayhem, Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, etc added to the list. And bands like Emporer should have done better. If King Diamond is better than Metallica, than Emporer certainly is and by far better than King Diamond. Morbid Angel should also have faired better based on this idea.

    But polls like this are two-fold. The results are a combination of genre knowledge and popularity. My guess is if bands like Slipknot and LOG were added to this list, they would be amongst the remaining participants based on recent popularity and a band like Sabbath would still be around based on respect for creating the genre.

    Just personally speaking, if I were to come across a random article on-line that said at least 6 or 7 of the remaining bands in this poll were the best metal band of all time, I would probably dismiss it immediately. I'm old enough to remember the days of tape trading and following metal music religiously to know that 95% of the bands that call commercial success a "sellout" are the ones that are just pissed that they arent good enough to sell more than a few hundred records.

    At the end of the day, keeping metal music alive is all that's important. Guys like Ian Christie making sure we remember the roots of our music and guys like you keeping us informed of new music are carrying the torches for the one genre of music that never dies and always finds a way to re-invent itself. The answer to this poll is simple and one that anyone with a passion for the music would agree on. There is no one single best ever metal band
    I get what your saying but i myself didnt really look at this as who was more important to the scene or anything like that. Just picked based on my preference of listening. Nice Ian Christie name drop. \m/

  15. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    21,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I get what your saying but i myself didnt really look at this as who was more important to the scene or anything like that. Just picked based on my preference of listening. Nice Ian Christie name drop. \m/
    I'm an old metal head...I know my shit. ;-)

  16. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


  17. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    http://challonge.com/northman

    Final Four!

    Death
    Iron Maiden
    Enslaved
    King Diamond

  18. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Adopted Bronco:
    Nate Irving and Julius Thomas unless they suck
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    Ok I don't know how I missed this thread, but finally something I can sink my teeth into ( no pun intended hahahahahahaha)

    A few thoughts North. Obviously music and genre typing are subjective, but I would assert that Sabbath although not really metal by today's standards is the original doom band. Their slow droning verses are the epitomy of doom and I would assert that they've impacted the sub genre far more than any other band.

    And as to the bands that ended up in the finals. I really get a kick out of music snobs who refuse to acknowledge that mainstream success even mild main stream success shouldn't preclude a band from being involved in these types of discussions. This isn't directed at you North so much as the people who decided that the kings of Bay area thrash don't even make it to the final 4. I also do think your seeding was a little bit biased. The crappy offerings of the past two decades shouldn't override the fantastic, genre defining material they produced through And Justice for All.

    I'm also frustrated that the ultimately creative Opeth didn't make it out of the first round. They are a band that is truly creative and defies labeling.

    All that said. Since it's the final 4 my vote has to go to Maiden.

  19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:


  20. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    At work currently but will address your post later Steve.

  21. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma mother****ing Watson
    Posts
    41,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    A few thoughts North. Obviously music and genre typing are subjective, but I would assert that Sabbath although not really metal by today's standards is the original doom band. Their slow droning verses are the epitomy of doom and I would assert that they've impacted the sub genre far more than any other band.
    Totally agree. Its why ive pointed to the fact that they have had a massive influence on the genre. But as you said, by today's standards they just dont measure up in heaviness too me.

    And as to the bands that ended up in the finals. I really get a kick out of music snobs who refuse to acknowledge that mainstream success even mild main stream success shouldn't preclude a band from being involved in these types of discussions. This isn't directed at you North so much as the people who decided that the kings of Bay area thrash don't even make it to the final 4. I also do think your seeding was a little bit biased. The crappy offerings of the past two decades shouldn't override the fantastic, genre defining material they produced through And Justice for All.
    Well, when i did the seedings it was based upon the popularity of the bands within the crowds i hang with. And i understand that can change depending on who you are. Back in the 80's the popularity of bands like Metallica, Anthrax, etc would be pretty high. However, its a new age and unfortuantely the latter material from some of those bands has caused them to slip in terms of popularity amongst the metal masses. Doesnt take away what they did early in their careers but yes i was basing my rankings off of the present day.

    I'm also frustrated that the ultimately creative Opeth didn't make it out of the first round. They are a band that is truly creative and defies labeling.
    I was quite surprised as well but shockingly i have had a hard time getting people to vote. Two of the voters that have contributed that i know are more into the folk/viking stuff so as Coach pointed out that is probably why you would see a band like Amon Amarth do so well. But as i said, these tournaments were really just based off of personal taste and not so much how valued they are to the genre itself. I probably should of reworded my thread differently because it really should be based off your favorite or most listenable band compared to who is actually the best because best is very subjective.

  22. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 03:10 PM
  3. Favorite metal cover of a non metal song
    By Foochacho in forum Music
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 12:49 AM
  4. The Rock/Metal Band name game
    By Northman in forum Music
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
  5. Great metal band for you metalheads out there
    By SeeingRed in forum Music
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 04:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
dedicated servers
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group