Poll: Do you like the idea of having 2 wild card teams per league that play a play-in game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New MLB Wild Card Play-In game.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Default New MLB Wild Card Play-In game.

You for it or against it?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

I hate it. Team A with 88 wins and the best pitcher in the game could beat Team B with 95 wins in a 1 game playoff and then Team A gets beat in the Divisional round 4-1.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    I hate it. Team A with 88 wins and the best pitcher in the game could beat Team B with 95 wins in a 1 game playoff and then Team A gets beat in the Divisional round 4-1.
    You also hate fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    You also hate fun.
    I also think it's a farce. Ideally MLB would like to add another playoff series; not just one game. However, they don't have a TV contract for that yet. They don't need to negotiate a TV contract for just one playoff game so they can start this plan ASAP.

Obviously a one game playoff in Primetime TV would be a ratings bonanza. MLB would show those ratings to Fox, NBC, ESPN and TBS to generate as much revenue as possible in order to create an additional playoff series.

If you think an additional one game is MLB's end game then you're fooling yourself.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    I also think it's a farce. Ideally MLB would like to add another playoff series; not just one game. However, they don't have a TV contract for that yet. They don't need to negotiate a TV contract for just one playoff game so they can start this plan ASAP.

Obviously a one game playoff in Primetime TV would be a ratings bonanza. MLB would show those ratings to Fox, NBC, ESPN and TBS to generate as much revenue as possible in order to create an additional playoff series.

If you think an additional one game is MLB's end game then you're fooling yourself.
    No. Frankly I'd prefer that the season get 10 games removed from it, and then a playoff similar to the NFL format where the Wild Card rounds are a best of 3 series, and the top 4 seeds get a first round bye.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

No. Frankly I'd prefer that the season get 10 games removed from it, and then a playoff similar to the NFL format where the Wild Card rounds are a best of 3 series, and the top 4 seeds get a first round bye.
    Best idea so far
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Less games means less revenue so owners and the Union will never agree to that. However, I can envision expanding this one game playoff to best 2 out of 3 and eventually 3 out of 5. They don't need to reduce games they just need to schedule a few doubleheaders. I don't see why that's not possible.

They should already schedule more doubleheaders anyway and give players a couple more days off. It's very common for teams to play 21 straight games in a row and that's a bit much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Both teams would waste their best pitchers in the play-in game (most likely) and then basically be screwed in the next series.

Not very well thought out, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

I think it sucks that its one game... if you want to add another team to the playoffs do it, but do it right.

I still said I liked it because I like the fact of more teams in.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

13. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I voted no, because it's just one game. Love the idea, hate the execution.

What happens if two teams tie for the second wild card spot. Then, we essentially have two elimination games to begin the playoffs.

Now, for excitement purposes, it will be really cool to have a winner take all game to begin the playoffs. However, WTE is right, it probably does limit the effectiveness of the wildcard team in the following round, which is the downside.

The big budget teams win again..."how can we effectively eliminate a wild card team's proficiency at getting to the world series? Make them play one extra game."
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I voted no, because it's just one game. Love the idea, hate the execution.

What happens if two teams tie for the second wild card spot. Then, we essentially have two elimination games to begin the playoffs.

Now, for excitement purposes, it will be really cool to have a winner take all game to begin the playoffs. However, WTE is right, it probably does limit the effectiveness of the wildcard team in the following round, which is the downside.

The big budget teams win again..."how can we effectively eliminate a wild card team's proficiency at getting to the world series? Make them play one extra game."
    Worked well in '07

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Worked well in '07
    True. But I believe that was a once in a lifetime type of occurrence.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    True. But I believe that was a once in a lifetime type of occurrence.
    Well now there is a greater possibility of it happening again.

Adopted Bronco:

Think about this. The last day of the 2011 season was one of the gretaest days of baseball...maybe even the greatest overall day that at least I have ever witnessed. With this format...that never happens because regardless of the outcome fo the games everyone was in.

But here's what is going to happen. The final WC spot is going to have 3 teams tie for it. Then you have to play 2 elimination games before getting to the 1 game WC game. The winner of the elimination games will then be using their #3 starter. Then if they happen to win, they move on with what is likely a .500 record.

Anyone can win 1 game in MLB. I hate the 1 game playoff. Either shorten the season and add another series, or keep it the way it is. it's not like the current system is failing.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Think about this. The last day of the 2011 season was one of the greatest days of baseball....
    I hated it. One of the most miserable days of 2011.

20. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information