Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RBs

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Default RBs

Just curious of what people think of our RB situation and what they think we should do. Right now we have under contract McGahee, Moreno, Ball, Johnson and Fannin. Larson at FB.

McGahee enough said, but less carries will make him last longer. He is by far our #1. Moreno is a 3rd down back and IMO the best we have at catching check downs. He is horrible up the middle but good in space. Ball is a decent at best backup. I am not hugely impresses with him, he did make some plays but so has Moreno. He does not have great hands. Johnson is serviceable but IMO not as good as Moreno in check downs or running the ball as Ball. I really wanted to see what Fannin could do was really disappointed to see him injured in preseason. Draft a FB or acquire a good one in FA.

I think our offense alone could draw attention from other RBs hitting FA. But I think Fox will draft one. Move Ball/Fannin to PS and cut Johnson.

I would love to get Doug Martin and have McGahee #1, Martin #2, and have Fannin/Moreno #3. Let them fight for the position. If Moreno can not beat out Fannin then trade him early on before stock drops more or cut him to free up cap space and roster spot.

2. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Great choice on Doug Martin. He's my favorite coming out of the draft. The Broncos will probably bring in 2 more backs. I'm guessing one through the draft and one in free agency.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Great choice on Doug Martin. He's my favorite coming out of the draft. The Broncos will probably bring in 2 more backs. I'm guessing one through the draft and one in free agency.
    The only reason i think of 1 in draft is because they will keep Moreno for final season of his contract and see what Fannin can do. he was the top UDFA RB after the draft. I would like to see a good FB added in FA.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

I'd be happier with Martin. I don't see any second contract FAs that are super appealing other than Bush and he's going to command dollars. At this point I'd prefer a game changer like Martin in the first and take the bpa at DT/corner in the second.

I'm hoping that Doug Martin runs about a 4.55 40 at the combine and drops to us in the 2nd. He has great speed on film. I think he's just one of those rare guys that runs the same speed in pads as he does in shorts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Our RB situation is a hot mess. McGahee is hurt a lot and fumbles weekly. We have nothing noteable otherwise.

9. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Ball was terrible. I would rather keep Johnson than Ball. Johnson brings 3rd down ability when Moreno gets hurt again. We really need a backup for Mcgahee. We suffered a lot when he was tired or hurt. As far as I can tell Ball is below average at every single skill associated with a RB. He has little speed or power and does not catch the ball well.

I am hoping we draft at some point a future replacement for Mcgahee and a guy that can back him up in the meantime and run some 3rd down plays if neccessary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Our RB situation is a hot mess. McGahee is hurt a lot and fumbles weekly. We have nothing noteable otherwise.
    ditch moreno, sign benjarvus green-ellis, add a draft pick to compete with ball/JJ. . . or, draft doug martin to be our bellcow. . . it's fixable-- i just hope they take it seriously. . . given the way they built their stable of backs in carolina, i suspect they probably will. . .

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

Doug Martin is currently tied for the lead at his position for most bench reps at the combine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Denver should consider cutting ties with Moreno, but Lance Ball is likely to be re-signed since Denver holds his rights, at least for camp.

Originally I thought Denver should focus on signing Michael Bush, I'm of the opinion now that they should sign a second-tier running back. This draft has a pretty solid class that will run deep. This is seriously a better offensive draft considering the needs of the team compared to those of the needs of our defense. If you ask me, Denver should fill as many needs defensively in free agency for the season and focus on offensive needs come the draft, other then second-tier and camp fodder.

I feel we need to add a back to the stable that pushes McGahee into the #2 slot. Willie just isn't durable, and we only got as many touches from him this season because he could still play with the bone he broke. Can't expect the same kind of production from him next season.

The most likely place to get that upgrade is through the draft. Martin is a popular choice, and if we could trade back and get him later in the first, early in the second, I'd be all for it. Whether Martin or someone else taken in the 2-4 rounds, we need to find someone that can give us some production as a rookie.

I think we'll keep Moreno around unless we can get at least a mid round pick for him. Don't think there's any chance he gets cut, short of a significant injury in TC. He is a good third down back, but it looks like his touches will need to be managed. If we're lucky, Fannin can be a second pounding option for when McGahee misses time and JJ can be kept around as a 3rd down option for when Moreno misses time.

Add a RB in this year's draft (and UDFA), get through next season with the guys currently on our roster (plus a draft pick and probably at least one UDFA), and address the position again next offseason if significant upgrades are needed.

Just say no to getting into bidding wars for FA RBs.
    If not me, who?

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

Robert Turbin will be available in the fourth and will more than fill our needs at RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I don't see any second contract FAs that are super appealing other than Bush and he's going to command dollars.
    Bush would be worth it, though. I think he's a number one back with low miles and youth, something you don't see often hitting FA. Add in the fact that large contracts for free agent RBs have diminished outside of the true, franchise types and I think he'd be worth it and then some. He catches well, blocks well, and despite a lack of top-end speed he gets to the second level and is a load to bring down. Get him for five years or something like it, and you've got Michael Turner 2.0. Fox could run him into the ground, and McGahee could stay fresh. Martin and Turbin would be awesome to draft as well, since Willis isn't going to be around much longer.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shananahan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
    Bush would be worth it, though. I think he's a number one back with low miles and youth, something you don't see often hitting FA. Add in the fact that large contracts for free agent RBs have diminished outside of the true, franchise types and I think he'd be worth it and then some. He catches well, blocks well, and despite a lack of top-end speed he gets to the second level and is a load to bring down. Get him for five years or something like it, and you've got Michael Turner 2.0. Fox could run him into the ground, and McGahee could stay fresh. Martin and Turbin would be awesome to draft as well, since Willis isn't going to be around much longer.
    I liked Michael Bush last year and this past season did nothing to change my mind. I think he would be an awesome addition to our stable. Bush, McGahee and a third down back, someone to replace Moreno. Shan, you hit all of the highlights. He won't come cheap, but I don't think his price would be out of our league.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of signing free agent runningbacks and thought Williams was a horrible idea last year, but I feel good about Bush. If he were on any other team he'd be franchised and probably overpaid to be kept, but it's one of those situations where he's getting away (Michael Turner). I wouldn't mind the team giving him what he's worth.

21. The Following User High Fived Shananahan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information