Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Jays, Marlins agree to mega-trade

This is just nuts:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...ys-sources-say

Jays, Marlins agree to mega-trade
    Updated: November 13, 2012, 11:02 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

The Miami Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a multiple-player trade that would send shortstop Jose Reyes and pitcher Josh Johnson to Toronto, according to sources.

Also going to Toronto would be pitcher Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and infielder-outfielder Emilio Bonifacio.

"Just about any (Marlins) player making money is going to Toronto," a source told ESPN.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

They are literally flipping a third of their position players and a third of their starting pitchers to Toronto for prospects.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

as a Jays fan, I'm super excited today!!!!

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The Marlins usually wait until they win a WS to dismantle the team.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

That was a flawed roster from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Marlins believed having their own ballpark would mean tons of revenue so they spent big time on that anticipated revenue. When the fans still failed to show, Marlins had a sea of red ink so Hanley gets traded, Heath Bell gets traded, Ozzie gets fired and now the rest of their big contracts are sent to Canada (check those exchange rates for Canadian dollars, eh?) for all their top prospects and a new shortstop.

This instantly puts the Jays on a competitive level with the rest of their high-priced division and puts the Marlins back in the low-rent district with the Astros and other misers.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:

I'll be interested to see if Baltimore follows through on the rumors to match this (sign Hamilton, trade for Butler)

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    as a Jays fan, I'm super excited today!!!!
    I wouldnt get too excited. Beuhrle is mediocre and the same can almost be said for Johnson since his surgery. He's never been great outside of Miami. Reyes is an improved bat, but his defense is below Escobar's. Buck is a salary dump throw-in and Bonifacio is a spare.

On paper they have improved, but I dont know that it's as much as it may seem.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

MLB is a joke. They should take a lot more shit than they do.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Reyes, Beuhrle and Johnson did a number on my Red Sox last year. But then again so did Escobar.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'll disagree with Coach a little here...

I like Beuhrle and Johnson and I think Reyes is an upgrade at SS over Escobar. Buck isn't spectacular its true, but he's solid behind the plate. He'll hit some home runs, likely in the seven or eight hole for the Jays as a DH/C alongside Arencibia. And Bonifacio adds some speed to their outfield.

Pair them with Bautista, Rasmus, Lind, Arencibia and Lawrie and I think that's a very solid lineup.

If Morrow can finally duplicate a good season, and Romero is solid, that's a solid pitching staff.

The problem is this ups the anty. How much do you think the Yankees are going to offer Hamilton now? Boston and New York have three months to pull of their own blockbuster now, and they will try, whether its free agency or trade.

The loser here might be the Orioles sadly.

Adopted Bronco:

If Baltimore stands pat...yes...we lose. On the other hand, we did ok with this roster this year. Either way, I dont see us standing still.

As far as the Jays trade, I agree it looks nice on paper. But Johnson isnt exactly Verlander and he hasnt really looked the same since his surgery. Before that, he was never all that impressive away from home. At best, I'll give him the nod as a #2 guy. Beurhle is pretty much just an innings eater. He's never going to blow anyone away statistically. He's about a .500 type pitcher with a 4 ERA. Reyes can be a dangerous bat and runner...when he's healthy. He can be a nice table setter for Bautista and Encarnacion, but his defense is much worse than Escobar's. Buck is a spare that will be primarily a back-up. If he gets 8-10 HR's in that role...it's a win.

Lind has been trending in the wrong direction, Arencibia and Rasmus can get you a few homers from the bottom of the line-up and Lawrie is a work in progress. Offensively, the Jays still have the same problem...getting on base. I think this move does improve the Jays, but only marginally. Maybe 10 wins...which still only puts them slightly above .500

The real travesty is MLB allowing teams to make these deals. Not so much to the fault of Toronto accepting the deal, but Miami being allowed to dump a third of their roster for a handful of prospects.

This is why when the Marlins signed all the FA's last year they refused to give any no-trade clauses and why Pujols stayed away.

The Marlins still on the roster are bullshit and they're letting their feelings be known. This is gonna get a hell of a lot worse for the Marlins before it gets any better.

16. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    This is why when the Marlins signed all the FA's last year they refused to give any no-trade clauses and why Pujols stayed away.

The Marlins still on the roster are bullshit and they're letting their feelings be known. This is gonna get a hell of a lot worse for the Marlins before it gets any better.
    Stanton will be demanding a trade soon

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The Marlins are constantly purging their roster, yet they are twice the organization that the Rockies are.

So sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information