Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: protecting ext hard drive

Default protecting ext hard drive

Networking just isn't my forte.

I consider myself a programmer, love to code. Just not into the networking stuff so much.

I recently set my 500 gig ext hard drive up through the router and linksys network storage link.

Any way I can assure they are virus protected through the hard drive or network link?

I know my pc is protected and I know wifes is but i am going to have various house guests that will be using the HD through the summer as well and am not sure on what security they are using.

Anyway for me to have any networked security going on? I have firewall going on through my router so that will help somewhat with that but mainly asking about antivirus.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

You might be able to password protect it.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

I can but I actually want thm to be able to use it, I just want to be able to protect against viruses on it in case thier virus protection level is not up to par. (which knowing these 2 I doubt it is).

As far as passwords go to I actually am protecting the network that way without the password as I have set my network up as a private network.

All the computers have an assigned ip, they don't get it automatically and I am fairly sure I can set it up in the router to only allow connections with the assigned ips.(just haven't done that part yet)

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Just re-read your post. Is it set up as a NAS (Network Attached Storage), or do users have to access it through a computer first?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

7. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/NSLU2

Any computer that is part of my network can acces it.

I just set them up with an ip and then map the drive.

Have to run to work now so if anyone posts anything else, I am not ignoring you...just won't be back untill this evening

10. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Not seeing anywhere if that device supports any anti virus running on it. My best bet would be to have a computer run a virus scan on the drive every night while you are in bed and its not in use, or just make sure that everyone is using some sort of antivirus on their computer that is connecting to the device.

12. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Ya thats what I expected.

Guess its not a huge deal. The virus isn't just going to breed and move to the other files on the hard drive and if for some reason the guests do get viruses on my or wifes files they will be deleted as soon as they hit my or her computer or I do a scan so worst case scenario they just hit themselves with the same virus they themselves put on.

I think they use mcafee so not real impressed with thier ability to protect thier pcs.

I use nod32 on wife and my pcs, love that.

Ant other thoughts on how I can protect network wide systems?

Wireless I use WPA2 AES encription.

I have a router firewall.

I set static ipadresses for all the machines in the network.

Anything else i should consider?

Thanks for the advice!

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Turn off dhcp. Otherwise you appear to be secure AFAIK

15. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Yep had that one already taken care of

Only thing that sucks is I thought i could only allow specific ipadresses on my router. No option for that.

Only thing i can do is only allow certain mac adresses if I want but how do you figure out what the mac adresses are unless you log on the router and look while the wireless machines are connected to the network?

How do I determine what my MAC address is under Windows 2000/XP
    Go Start->Run, cmd, OK to open a cmd prompt.
    Type ipconfig /all
    Your MAC address is represented by the Physical Address field.
    So really nothing I can set up in advance, have to wait till they are here and then add their addreses to the router.

So I set up mac filtering in my home, and so far am only allowing my lap top, wifes pc, printer and wii access.

So does this mean that there is pretty much no way someone can pull outside my home with a laptop and gain access to my network, no matter how good they are as thier wireless can't access it? Even if by some frak chance they gain access to my network wireless key?

So if they want to get in they have to do it the old fasion way, hack through the router firewall then the pc firewall through the internet?

19. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

A person can always hack into your network. The question is how bad do they want in and what are they willing to do to get in.

Usually in your home network where someone would be out in the street trying to use your wireless they're looking for easy unless they have a grudge and you're the target. In most cases they just move onto the next one.
    Merry.

21. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

God I hate security.

Give me a program to write anyday, I don't care how many lines of code...just don't ask me to try and secure the machine it's going on. (:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information