Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Testing

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Default Genetic Testing

Has anyone here ever been recommended to get any genetic testing? If so, did you opt to do it? Why or why not? And if you did, would you make the same choice again?

I'm weighing my options. I know I have an extensive family history of breast cancer. I'm just not sure that knowing if I have the genetic markers makes a difference. Very curious if anyone else has been in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

What are the odds if you have the markers vs if you don't?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman:1555421
    What are the odds if you have the markers vs if you don't?
    Depends on the study. If I have the markers it's anywhere between 60% and 85% over a lifetime. If not, it's between 4 and 10%. And that's only for getting the inheritable kind of breast cancer, not all kinds.

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Thing is, my grandpa had breast cancer. All four of his sisters had it. Two of them died from it. Of their kids, over 75% have gotten it. Three have died. Some have had the testing. They have the markers. So do some of their kids. Some have opted for prophylactic surgery. My dad had two non-cancerous lumps removed when he was 38. I basically already act like I have them because I probably do.

— Marilyn Monroe

I had a friend who was dx'ed with Breast Cancer no less than three years ago. She died in September. She wasn't even 50 years old.

If you have the opportunity to know, it might be in your best interest to do the test. It would be horrible to find out when it's too late to be proactive. Better safe than sorry.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    I had a friend who was dx'ed with Breast Cancer no less than three years ago. She died in September. She wasn't even 50 years old.

If you have the opportunity to know, it might be in your best interest to do the test. It would be horrible to find out when it's too late to be proactive. Better safe than sorry.
    That's my thoughts
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger:1555445

It sounds to me that she is already being proactive; testing negative might bring her piece of mind. If testing negative wouldn't change her actions, then why have the test done?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    It sounds to me that she is already being proactive; testing negative might bring her piece of mind. If testing negative wouldn't change her actions, then why have the test done?
    This is true. I still stand by my thoughts. It's better to know and have it be negative than spend her life wondering if the shoe will drop.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Will knowing give you the ability to take preemptive measures that you wouldn't otherwise take?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    This is true. I still stand by my thoughts. It's better to know and have it be negative than spend her life wondering if the shoe will drop.
    That's a good point, Gnomey. To a large extent, I've already resigned myself to the fact I'm going to get breast cancer at some point.

I guess I'm interested in other people's experiences. They recommend going through genetic counseling sessions both before and after testing. I wonder about how that changes perceptions.

— Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Can you just get a masectomy and get fakes? I had a friend from college who did that when her sis got breast cancer. BTW her fakes were great.

12. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Will knowing give you the ability to take preemptive measures that you wouldn't otherwise take?
    Medical insurance may cover more preventative measures they wouldn't otherwise. Most won't pay for a mammogram until age 40 or later without a struggle.

I could get completely screwed out of life insurance (it's illegal for health insurance companies and employers to discriminate based on the results of genetic testing, but anyone else is fair game).

— Marilyn Monroe

14. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

I hope you don't get cancer, Cheese. This world needs people like you to be in it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Can you just get a masectomy and get fakes? I had a friend from college who did that when her sis got breast cancer. BTW her fakes were great.
    Yep, that's definitely an option. I'm a little attached to my girls though. Not sure I'd want to go that route, especially since it's still no guarantee you won't get breast cancer anyway.

Gawd, that would suck.

— Marilyn Monroe

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

What's the rate of false positives?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information