Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: There's good chance Broncos could select defensive tackle with 25th pick in NFL draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default There's good chance Broncos could select defensive tackle with 25th pick in NFL draft

INDIANAPOLIS — Cornerback, defensive tackle, running back.

In that order. The Broncos are expected to address all three of those positions of need through the draft.

John Elway didn't play any of those positions during his Hall of Fame career with the Broncos. But he is evaluating players at those positions as the team's front-office boss.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20041813

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

There's good chance Broncos could select defensive tackle with 25th pick in NFL draft
    yea, right. . . we haven't done so in decades, but there's a "good chance" now. . . my ass!

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    yea, right. . . we haven't done so in decades, but there's a "good chance" now. . . my ass!

According to my Chinese calendar, it is the year of the lardass!

Besides, it's bound to happen eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Slide, Devon, slide!
    Russlin jimmies since 1981

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    According to my Chinese calendar, it is the year of the lardass!

Besides, it's bound to happen eventually.
    i'll consider believing it if i ever see it-- certainly not a second sooner. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

After reading this post I did a quick look of 1st round picks Denver's made over the past decade and then followed it with 2nd round picks out of curiosity's sake:

First round (02-Current)

QB 2
    RB 1
    WR 2
    TE
    OT 2
    IOL

DT
    DE 2
    LB 2
    CB
    S

Second round (02-Current)

QB
    RB 2
    WR 2
    TE 2
    OT 1
    IOL 1

DT
    DE 1
    LB 1
    CB 2
    S 2

Draw whatever conclusions from that as you will, but I personally think it does a pretty effective job of highlighting both the weakness in our pass defense along with the interior of our defense.
    Russlin jimmies since 1981

8. The Following User High Fived TheReverend For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Good job. I remember Trevor Pryce but I think he was a DE when drafted and he was also taken a lot longer ago than it seems.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

The article states that the last time the Broncos drafted a DT in the first round was in 1988 - Ted Gregory.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    The article states that the last time the Broncos drafted a DT in the first round was in 1988 - Ted Gregory.
    Gawd I remember that. He got to Denver, stepped off the plane and was like 2" shorter and 30lbs lighter than they said he was. What a waste that was.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

12. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Beer Girl

I just think that our ownership or GMs have historically picked DTs or DEs through FA or trade. So why are they going to stop now.

I have been saying we need to pick up Zach Brown in the 1st for a while. It seems Detroit is going to select him ahead of us.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/nfl...4-cf0257904e17

So does that mean, L. James is now a first rounder?? The Broncos need to help the run spread option "TebowCat Offense". L.James is that guy, much like how Percy Harvin helped Tebow in Florida, James can do much of the same.
    No Guts, No Glory

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Tebow is a virgin.

14. The Following User High Fived HammeredOut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Sort of misleading Carol only because it's opinionative, said there were a lot of positions they were in need of and he really did curb the comment to not target specific needs of the team. As he said, that position seems to be an issue every year. Sadly, this isn't exactly a strong defensive tackle class, it's decent but by no means is it spectacular. I could easily see Denver following the old blueprint and fixing the line through free agency and using the picks elsewhere as Hammer stated, I don't see a reason for that to change.

Miller was not really a surprise, Denver has drafted more linebackers in the first round then any other team in AFCW, and I might add usually been successful in that aspect. Defensive Lineman have been a crux for Denver when drafted in the first round, and could well be the same this year with the class looking like a true crapshoot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Cordy Glenn killed it today, if he drops the Broncos should take him.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Cordy Glenn killed it today, if he drops the Broncos should take him.......
    I've seen a couple mocks with us taking a tight end early, especially since the free agent market and the position is rather thin. Glenn did well, I was also impressed with Evan Rodriguez of Temple.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    I've seen a couple mocks with us taking a tight end early, especially since the free agent market and the position is rather thin. Glenn did well, I was also impressed with Evan Rodriguez of Temple.
    Is Rodriguez better than Virgil Green? Probably similar athletes but l won't pretend to know much more than that about either.

This is not a good year to need a TE, Bennett and Kellen Davis in FA could be nice if they didn't come with "buyer beware" tags. There are a lot of needs and after taking 2 last year TE might be a luxury at this point.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Bennett on one of those short term contracts Denver used last year. They'll try to keep Fells, by the way, rumor is Sad Diego is looking at him.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Is Rodriguez better than Virgil Green? Probably similar athletes but l won't pretend to know much more than that about either.

This is not a good year to need a TE, Bennett and Kellen Davis in FA could be nice if they didn't come with "buyer beware" tags. There are a lot of needs and after taking 2 last year TE might be a luxury at this point.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Bennett on one of those short term contracts Denver used last year. They'll try to keep Fells, by the way, rumor is Sad Diego is looking at him.......
    I'd say Rodriguez is more of a receiving tight end much like Coby (Fleener), but neither is as well rounded as Green.

Completely have to agree on the weakness of this FA Class at the position, it's horrid and Denver needs to retain Fells, we have two unproven sophomores and will likely have to draft a tight end or take a veteran dumped after the draft...the loss of Fells would probably force us to overpay one of those flagged tight ends or even take a tight end too early and still be left wanting.
    Last edited by Lancane; 02-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information