Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think NFL should expand to 40 franchises.

Wyoming would be cool. I wonder what I'd do though, having a team in my state? I'd probably end up hating them as all these Bronco fans decided to jump on thier ship. Would be funny though and I'd probably attend some games for fun.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I dont think Las Vegas will get pro franchises... I dont think the leagues want to take any chances with the gambling guidos
    I don't think the Vegas populace would support an NFL franchise. Every Pro team that Vegas has had has failed. Granted, they were all lesser leagues, but I believe it would do worse than any team they try to put in L.A.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

3. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco4ever View Post
    The entire population of Rapid City (excluding metro area) could fit into SAF @ Mile High and still have seats left over.
    His post obviously wasn't well thought out considering that Omaha, NE is bigger than Lincoln and the entire population of Rapid Shitty is only about 70,000.

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

The two expansion teams will be LA and London.
    The Bills will eventually move North of the border.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by iLands View Post
    How do you figure London? If the NFL decides to expand to another country it'll be Canada LONG before it'll be Europe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    How do you figure London? If the NFL decides to expand to another country it'll be Canada LONG before it'll be Europe.
    Or Mexico.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I'd agree that the common sense expansion outside of the country is Toronto, but Goodell won't shut up about London, so it makes me think he's pushing hard. Plus, he just got that massive extension.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'd agree that the common sense expansion outside of the country is Toronto, but Goodell won't shut up about London, so it makes me think he's pushing hard. Plus, he just got that massive extension.
    I think it would be stupid to have an American NFL football team in London. It would place a MASSIVE burden on that team eight weeks a year and it would place the same burden on eight other teams each year that have to travel to London. Then add playoff games to that mix and you have teams travelling to England to play a playoff game while fighting jet lag, adjusting to the climate, etc. It makes no sense. Put an NFL team in Toronto or Vancouver, but not effing England.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    what does a penile implant have to do with London???

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

13. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

SR

Quote Originally Posted by iLands View Post
    Toronto doesn't support sports teams except hockey...

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

15. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I think the NFL outside North America is a truly bad idea beyond the occasional exhibition game.

Putting teams in Mexico is very risky. Putting teams in Canada destroys the CFL. So let's just stay in the U.S. Here's what's doable.

1) Los Angeles. No question but it serves the NFL now as the phantom city everyone else threatens to move to when they want a new stadium or other concessions.

2) San Antonio. The stadium is there. It could start tomorrow if ownership was found.

3) Las Vegas. If the NFL is comfortable living with the gambling element. They may not be.

4) Birmingham. This probably works better than you'd think.

5) Portland, OR. Kinda iffy. May have problems sustaining this and a Seattle team. You'll notice no other major sports league currently franchises in both.

6) Orlando. May be the same problems with Tampa that a Portland franchise would have with Seattle. Can two franchises survive so close?

7) Louisville. Iffy but if Buffalo can make it work (barely), so might Louisville. Salt Lake City is about the same boat. Small market but might pull it off.

8) New York City. Seems to be no end to those ******. Maybe a third team works, especially if you put it in Connecticut or Long Island or someplace away from the Meadowlands. Carving up the TV pie would be a bitch though. You might be better off putting a second team in L.A.

That gets you up to 40 teams but that pretty much exhausts the markets.
    To me the only two that make sense are LA and Las Vegas. The rest seem too far fetched.

Toronto doesn't support sports teams except hockey...
    Come on the bandwagon Blue Jays fans were great in the early 90s when they won World Series

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Come on the bandwagon Blue Jays fans were great in the early 90s when they won World Series
    to be fair, going to a game in that place sucks. the place is a dirty, stale, concrete hole that charges too much for tickets and over 10 bucks a beer. I am Jays fan but if I lived there I wouldnt go to the games either.

The owners (Rogers) have the money to builld a great team but choose not to, so the fans have decided they wont pay if the owners wont. It's the same thing that happened in Chicago with the Blackhawks when dollar Bill was still running the show.

19. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

to be fair, going to a game in that place sucks. the place is a dirty, stale, concrete hole that charges too much for tickets and over 10 bucks a beer. I am Jays fan but if I lived there I wouldnt go to the games either.

The owners (Rogers) have the money to builld a great team but choose not to, so the fans have decided they wont pay if the owners wont. It's the same thing that happened in Chicago with the Blackhawks when dollar Bill was still running the show.
    I agree, I went to the Skydome. It is so stale. As much as Fenway is old and cramped, at least its real grass like baseball is supposed to be and outside not in a stupid dome

Default Jetlag makes anywhere but North America untenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    IMO, NFL expansion won't happen but it is intriguing.
    Here's my 2 cents.

NFL International expansion:

1-Mexico City- Don't they still hv a high rate of... um I don't know, death! :0 I thought they were in turmoil w/ the drug wars and all that. Well, hopefully I'm wrong bc the last exhibition the NFL had there packed a 100,000 + seat stadium if I'm not mistaken. They love NFL football.
    They do, and as I understand it most of the drug war violence is near the border; it doesn't seem to have affected the federal district much, at least not yet. The big issue would be the need for any Canadian and/or Mexican expansion to create full Divisions within the new country. That would develop and build on intraregional rivalries and avoid teams spending lots of time traveling instead of playing or preparing to play.

Unfortunately, most attractive secondary sites ARE right on the border in the middle of the drug war. Juarez would be ideal if the Houston Chronicle had not called it "the most violent zone in the world outside of declared war zones" in 2009. Tijuana is in a similar position (and the Mexican side of metro San Diego, which is already supporting what passes for a team there. )

Looking at it again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ties_in_Mexico I would probably go after:

Guadalajara, which has a metro population >4 million (second only to Mexico City, for which it would be a good rival,) a strong economy and is considered very business friendly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara,_Jalisco

Monterrey, which is only slightly smaller and has apparently been called "the most Americanized city in Mexico." The drug war is an issue there, but less so than elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterrey

Leon, the weak sister, with a metro population nearly 1 million<Denver, but the largest other city not near the others or in the middle of a crossfire (Puebla might be a good choice, but is <100 miles from Mexico City.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3n,_Guanajuato

All those cities are close enough travel times would not be an issue and they could remain a Division of their own even if other Mexican ones were added later, but not close enough to compete too much for fans. You could get around Leons small size and eliminate the "we're going to L.A.! " issue by putting a team there, but then you'd end up with a Division of L.A. plus three Mexican teams, which is probably a bad idea. The Raiders will move there again sooner or later, and there's no reason CA should be the only state with 4 teams (especially when TX is the only state in the top 4 with <3; where's the love for San Antone? )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Me..._conflicts.png

2-London- They have fans, I can see an international franchise working but for how long, that's a diff story.U know the NFL, there are the hvs & the hv nots. When the London team becomes the hv nots bc of a diluted talent pool, will the fans stay like they do for their soccer teams?

3-Barcelona- I say this bc of a successful NFLE & WLAF franchise. The Dragons. Might work, maybe not.

4-Tokyo- Could it work? They hv an American football league in Japan. Pretty popular to my understanding. The exhibition played in the Tokyo dome years ago drew a decent crowd.

Frankfurt-Again, WLAF & NFLE had a franchise. Pretty successful.
    Those options would only work if they never played teams on other continents until the postseason. It's 7 or 8 hours just in the air to cross the Atlantic, plus getting through airports, then at least a day to nominally reset the biological clock. Somehow you have to work in some practice and film time. And after the game, you have to go through all that again to get ready for a game back home.

I also think WLaugh left a bad taste for American football in the mouths of many Europeans. It is hard to get psyched about elite pro football when all you get are NFL rejects from the States who could not even get CFL jobs, and if, by some miracle fluke, your team DOES end up with a Kurt Warner he'll be gone to the Big Leagues (and big money) as soon they realize that. Even for World Bowls, 40-50,000 attendance was considered very good; regular attendance was about half that most places, where soccer games regularly sell TWICE as many tickets. That's why the NFL pulled the plug: It was losing too much money.

Montreal- Yep, WLAF ties. Although w/ the Alouettes recent success probably won't work. Toronto is probably a better fit. Maybe even Hamilton or Ottawa.
    I still think that and three other Canadian sites, along with a Mexican Division, make the most sense. Calgary and Edmonton hate each others guts, and already have a strong CFL rivalry, so supporting NFL teams shouldn't be difficult. Throw in Toronto and you have yourself a Division, though travel between the first two and the second two might be rough. Until/unless Canadas population one Division is all that's practical though.

I live in Europe now, so I'd love to see the NFL arrive, but there's just no feasible way to make it happen any time soon; building on footballs existing popularity in Canada and Mexico is all that makes sense. I do agree with an eight rather than 40 team expansion though, but the League's not likely to go for it doing it all at once because of parity and talent dilution. Imagine 60 more draft picks per year, all at once.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information