Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cap Talk

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

I really hope Denver is smart in Free Agency, but gets some quality pickups. We don't need any all-stars, but some solid names like Meachem, Floyd, etc (not necessarily them or that position, just examples of good, bargain players). They can't be scared to spend a few $ to win.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

The link you provided didn't have any hats in them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

Notably, only the Chiefs have more cap space in the division.

They've already said they have internal budgets to work off of this year, so I think any cap information regarding Denver is superfluous.
    Russlin jimmies since 1981

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    They've already said they have internal budgets to work off of this year, so I think any cap information regarding Denver is superfluous.
    Huh?

Since we dont know what that budget is, at least it gives us a range of what it may be, no?

Afterall, if we were $2 under the cap....the depth of the 'budget' would probably be seen as small.

Unless of course, big pocket Bowlen decided to give them a $100 million dollar budget with $2 of cap space?

That would be EFX invigorating.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Huh?

Since we dont know what that budget is, at least it gives us a range of what it may be, no?

Afterall, if we were $2 under the cap....the depth of the 'budget' would probably be seen as small.

Unless of course, big pocket Bowlen decided to give them a $100 million dollar budget with $2 of cap space?

Not particularly. Our cap # sure as shit had no bearing on what they spent last season. Besides, cap #s are dominantly smoke and mirrors anyway giving just the illusion of financial "competitive balance"

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
    Not particularly. Our cap # sure as shit had no bearing on what they spent last season. Besides, cap #s are dominantly smoke and mirrors anyway giving just the illusion of financial "competitive balance"
    Until the 2013 season, when teams have to be within a certain number of the cap. The Broncos budget last season was a cash budget, which means that Bowlen finally got tired of paying dead money and not counting it in the budget along with the salaries and bonuses of active players. I don't blame him a bit. He finally put some accountability on our FO and the contracts they hand out. It's something that every good businessman does. Well, except maybe Daniel Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Until the 2013 season, when teams have to be within a certain number of the cap. The Broncos budget last season was a cash budget, which means that Bowlen finally got tired of paying dead money and not counting it in the budget along with the salaries and bonuses of active players. I don't blame him a bit. He finally put some accountability on our FO and the contracts they hand out. It's something that every good businessman does. Well, except maybe Daniel Snyder.
    That's what I said As for the 2013 cap floor: it's still a mirage depending on how creative you want to be with your accounting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    These are mutually exclusive.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

I just hope we pick the right ones who can help this team for 4 5 years, a couple good 25 26 yr old veterans and maybe a couple 2 year guys who only have a couple years left on 2 yr contracts. We dont meed yo go crazy in free agency. A couple 26 yr old good ones anf a,few stop gaps along with the draft works for me. I mean I hope were serious bout winning.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Heard Pat Kirwan on Sirius say Denver was almost $50 million under the cap.

Huh?

The Broncos set a cash budget that's equal to the cap number and that's what they spend that year. So, if the cap number for 2011 was $120 million, then the Broncos allocate that much "cash" to spend on players.

In the case of the Broncos in 2011, a significant amount of that cash was spent on signing bonuses and other bonuses that didn't count against the 2011 cap.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    The Broncos set a cash budget that's equal to the cap number and that's what they spend that year. So, if the cap number for 2011 was $120 million, then the Broncos allocate that much "cash" to spend on players.

In the case of the Broncos in 2011, a significant amount of that cash was spent on signing bonuses and other bonuses that didn't count against the 2011 cap.

So, if we're $50 million under the cap, thats our budget and Bowlen has given Elway and the boys the greenlight to spend it all?

That would make any player a viable aquisition this offseason.

That would be good news if they make wise choices....and bad news if they dont.

(BTW, I was simply responding to the Revs contention that the cap knowledge was superfluous)
    IN PATON I TRUST.

So, if we're $50 million under the cap, thats our budget and Bowlen has given Elway and the boys the greenlight to spend it all?

That would make any player a viable aquisition this offseason.

That would be good news if they make wise choices....and bad news if they dont.

(BTW, I was simply responding to the Revs contention that the cap knowledge was superfluous)
    $50 mil under the cap means nothing and has nothing to do with next year.

In 2011, the NFL cap was $120 million and is what the Broncos front office had to spend in cash. They spent that, but some of it was spent on prorated signing bonuses, like signing Bailey, and that "cash" will count against the cap in future years.

In 2012, the NFL cap will be something like $125 million, and that is how much "cash" the Broncos front office will have to spend. Depending on how much of that cash is spent on 2012 salaries vs. signing bonuses that have their cap hit prorated over future years, will determine how far below the cap the Broncos are.

Basically, the cap means nothing for the Broncos.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information