Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Networking Question

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Default Networking Question

OK, so I have a home network. My wife and my computers are hardwired, and the kids are wireless. The way I have it set up is with an Actiontec modem that is wireless, but with only one hardwire port. The kids use the wireless from this modem, but then I have a Lynksys router so my wife and I can be wired. Only my wife and I can "see" each other on the network, and the kids can see each other as well, but we can't see everyone.

Problem - the kids use the wife's printer for printing homework, etc. Because we're not all connected, they have to email stuff for printing. Not a big deal, but it would be easier for them just to print over the network.

Suggestions?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    OK, so I have a home network. My wife and my computers are hardwired, and the kids are wireless. The way I have it set up is with an Actiontec modem that is wireless, but with only one hardwire port. The kids use the wireless from this modem, but then I have a Lynksys router so my wife and I can be wired. Only my wife and I can "see" each other on the network, and the kids can see each other as well, but we can't see everyone.

Problem - the kids use the wife's printer for printing homework, etc. Because we're not all connected, they have to email stuff for printing. Not a big deal, but it would be easier for them just to print over the network.

Suggestions?
    I have had a similar question. I have a Linksys wireless router as well, and was curious how I would go about networking my workstation and laptop, vs. just being able to access the internet through the router.

What is required to do that?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

The easiest but probably most expensive would be to replace the linksys router with a wireless router with at least 2 hardware ports, or to replace it with a switch.

The problem is that the wireless computers are on a different subnet than the wired computers, and unless you set up a domain (aka headache for a home network) or some sort of port forwarding (I'll get to this is a second) your kids computers can't see your network.

Subnets are groups of I.P. addresses. We will say that the wireless modem uses a subnet for the computers that are on the internal side of an address range of 192.168.0.1-254 , and that your linksys router uses I.P addresses in a range of 192.168.1.1-254.

They can't both be on the same subnet since the modem and router act as gateways for their internal network. And for the linksys router to communicate with the modem, it has been given an I.P address in the 192.168.0.xx subnet.

Port Forwarding:

If you know the port number for printing (a number in the range of 1-65555 (I think)) you can set up any printing requests from your kids computer to be sent to your wifes PC. I am seeing if I can figure out what port windows network printing uses to give you some better information on how to do this.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

So far I'm not finding anything promising for port forwarding windows networking. Especially since windows networks want to be able to communicate with the computer directly.

I think getting them on the same subnet (on the same router or on the modem using a switch) is probably your best bet.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Joe can't you put everyone on the same router?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Joe you have to share the printer. But off hand I dont know think you can do it with XP/Vista home edition.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    So far I'm not finding anything promising for port forwarding windows networking. Especially since windows networks want to be able to communicate with the computer directly.

I think getting them on the same subnet (on the same router or on the modem using a switch) is probably your best bet.
    I actually have a Belkin router with four ports that is wireless. It just seemed that the wireless signal wasn't as strong as the Actiontec. Guess I'll just have to go back to that one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Bief Stue View Post
    Joe can't you put everyone on the same router?
    The router isn't wireless... I need both.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

The router isn't wireless... I need both.
    SO you need a 4 port wireless router, right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Joe you have to share the printer. But off hand I dont know think you can do it with XP/Vista home edition.
    Tnik is right. They need to be on the same subnet. Not particularly where I shop, but here's a link for what you need

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202648529130

You'd just go from the modem/router that was provided by your ISP into the new linkysys wireless router and set it up. It'll put them on the same subnet, and you can run shared folders, and share the printer out to the laptops too.

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    The printer is shared. I could print on it, but the kids can't. We're on different sub-networks because of the modem and the router. I was hoping there was a way to change the settings on the router to make it part of the main network.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

SO you need a 4 port wireless router, right?
    I have one, but the wireless signal isn't as good as the one that I have hooked up now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I actually have a Belkin router with four ports that is wireless. It just seemed that the wireless signal wasn't as strong as the Actiontec. Guess I'll just have to go back to that one.
    Ok, just saw this.

I just bought a D-Link N router from the Tiger Direct Outlet in Miami. My old VOIP Linksys G sucked ass. The new N router is blazing.

The new one was $40 I think.

16. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Ok, just saw this.

I just bought a D-Link N router from the Tiger Direct Outlet in Miami. My old VOIP Linksys G sucked ass. The new N router is blazing.

Yeah, N is awesome. I should have linked an N, but I have a meeting in 5 seconds and the G was the first I found

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Ok, just saw this.

Do you need a compatible N card for the computer as well? Or, can you use the existing "G" card?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information