Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos' QB satisfied with preseason performance

Default Broncos' QB satisfied with preseason performance

BY FRANK SCHWAB
    THE GAZETTE

DENVER -- The first three preseason games didn’t include many highlights for the Denver Broncos starters, but quarterback Jay Cutler leading an efficient 2-minute drill Saturday qualified as one.

Cutler’s preseason is likely over since coach Mike Shanahan typically sits his starters in the preseason finale. Cutler has rather ordinary statistics through five quarters, having completed 17 of 31 passes for 197 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

But Cutler looked good in the second quarter against Cleveland, especially on the final drive of the half. The Broncos took over at their 20-yard line with 1:55 to go. In seven plays, Denver scored as Cutler hit fullback Kyle Johnson for a 2-yard touchdown with 33 seconds to go.

“To be able to end on a note like that was good,” Cutler said.

Cutler completed all four passes on the drive, including a pair to Brandon Marshall for 31 yards on the first two plays. He also scrambled for 6 yards, which turned into a 21-yard gain after Cleveland was called for unnecessary roughness at the end of the play. Cutler hit Johnson on a bootleg play for the touchdown.

Last season Cutler was dynamic in the preseason, with 561 yards and four touchdowns. But he usually was playing against backups as the second-string quarterback, and didn’t have as much pressure on him.

“Jay’s done a pretty good job,” Shanahan said. “I’m pleased with how he’s handled himself. We have a lot of work to do, we’re not there yet, but I’m pleased with the way he has handled himself, the way he has played.”

Cutler said there are some things he and the offense need to correct. Even though the starters are unlikely to play in Thursday’s game against Arizona, he said the last two weeks of practice should be enough time.

“I feel good,” Cutler said. “There’s still some stuff to clean up.”

Until Saturday’s game, the Broncos hadn’t had all of their starting receivers healthy at the same time. Brandon Marshall was out most of the first two weeks of training camp because of a quadriceps injury. Tight end Tony Scheffler also missed the start of camp because of a foot injury. Marshall and Scheffler returned to practice, but Brandon Stokley went out because of a quadriceps injury. They all played Saturday.

Cutler didn’t have much time this preseason to work with all of his receivers, but he didn’t think that would be a problem.

“A lot of them have been in and out,” Cutler “We did a lot of stuff this summer though so I have a good feel for them.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/cutler...ason_good.html
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I can't say that Cutler performed as good in the preseason as I would have liked, but while I think he will have his ups and downs, I'll be surprised if he is the weak link on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I can't say that Cutler performed as good in the preseason as I would have liked, but while I think he will have his ups and downs, I'll be surprised if he is the weak link on the team.
    I would agree with that, but the article was very accurate on the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half.

I also agree that I don't think it's likely that he'll be a weak link.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    I would agree with that, but the article was very accurate on the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half.

I also agree that I don't think it's likely that he'll be a weak link.
    He was awesome in that two minute drill. It looked to me that when he just went on instinct in the two minute drill he was lights out. When he had a little more time, and showed good patience, at other times in the game, he sort of danced around and threw without setting his feet and wasn't accurate.

I think he is going to be just fine and in time we are going to see some excitement from the QB position again.

Yeah, Cutler has more experience that will no doubt show in his playing, but also keep in mind that defenses have got him on film now, so they'll attack him in ways he hasn't seen yet.

Should be fun to watch his development.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Yeah, Cutler has more experience that will no doubt show in his playing, but also keep in mind that defenses have got him on film now, so they'll attack him in ways he hasn't seen yet.

Yep, I expect ups and downs, but it should be fun.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Well, one thing they'll see is that Cutler needs a lot of work on his short stuff.
    He has been very inconsistent there.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, one thing they'll see is that Cutler needs a lot of work on his short stuff.
    He has been very inconsistent there.

-----
    Yep, that he has.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Cutler will look a lot better once the OL jells. He looked OK, not great, which is fine for the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop View Post
    Cutler will look a lot better once the OL jells. He looked OK, not great, which is fine for the preseason.
    Yep, he sort of had happy feet in the pocket on Saturday, he was showing patience, but doing a lit "jig in place" dance. I have to wonder if the pressure he has seen the first two weeks, especially against Dallas caused that. Either way, I'm with you, if the line comes together and gives him a little time, then he will be fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That's true but we also have a more formidable running attack than we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    That's true but we also have a more formidable running attack than we did last year.
    if henry can keep his you know what in his pants...

if he keeps up at his rate, he will be out of the nfl by mid season with 11 more kids...

________
    The Vision Condo Prathumnak
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Default i know its vanilla

well i wouldnt say his poorer then last years play was on him alone...am i the only one that seems to think dingers offense is uncreative?...i have watched all three games and what i saw was the opposing teams moveing the ball, while we struggled, on many plays when it broke down for little or nothing you imediatly think cutler, but on slow mo replays you see that the plays called just didnt create a open guy

it could be the wr situation...injuries and no real time with the full 1st unit.....it could be the same for the oline?
    it could be we are saveing stuff?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    well i wouldnt say his poorer then last years play was on him alone...am i the only one that seems to think dingers offense is uncreative?...i have watched all three games and what i saw was the opposing teams moveing the ball, while we struggled, on many plays when it broke down for little or nothing you imediatly think cutler, but on slow mo replays you see that the plays called just didnt create a open guy

it could be the wr situation...injuries and no real time with the full 1st unit.....it could be the same for the oline?
    Last year it seemed to me that when Jay became the starter last year the play book opened up .

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post

It's ironic, because many talked last offseason about how much more wide open and dynamic the offense would be with Heimerdinger. Hopefully, that will still be the case.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information