Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tom Brady clutch like Montana??

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    I finally read this thread and cracked up that some of you think that Tom Brady is more a "game manager" or isn't as good as Joe Montana because he lost a couple critical playoff games.

I think these same posters were either too young to watch Montana or probably not even born.

Did you know................

In 1983 Joe Montana lost the NFC Championship Game to Washington 24-21?

In 1985 Joe Montana was quickly eliminated in the playoffs by the New York Giants 17-3? (that's right, 3 points)

In 1986 Joe Montana lost again in the Playoffs to the Giants 49-3? (Tom Brady's team has never been embrassed like that in the playoffs!)

In 1990 the NY Giants beat Joe Montana's 49ers 15-13? (Hmmmmm, low scoring. Game manager Joe?)

In 1992 Joe Montana lost to the Dallas Cowboys 30-20 in the NFC Championship Game. (Hey King, does scoring just 20 points mean Joe was just a "Game Manager?)

You can't win them all Haters!!
    Hey WTE Montana was hurt in 1992 and Young played that game

your point is well taken though. and my point is that I think Montana is the best I ever saw. It if was so easy, he would have won 7 Super Bowls. It is not easy.
    IN another sport. Wayne Gretzky only won 4 Championships and is arguably the best hockey player of all time, this side of Bobby Orr.

BTW what happened to the 1987 game that they were 13-2 and lost to a sucky Minny team at home 36-24

Minnesota Vikings 36, San Francisco 49ers 24Game summary
    1 2 3 4 Total
    Vikings 3 17 10 6 36
    49ers 3 0 14 7 24

at Candlestick Park, San Francisco

Game time: 4:00 p.m. EST/1:00 p.m. PST
    Game attendance: 63,008
    Referee: Gene Barth
    TV announcers (CBS): Tim Ryan and Joe Theismann

[show]Game information
    Scoring MIN - field goal Nelson 21 MIN 3-0SF - field goal Wersching 43 3-3MIN - Hilton 7 pass from Wilson (Nelson kick) MIN 10-3MIN - field goal Nelson 23 MIN 13-3MIN - Mustafaa 45 interception return (Nelson kick) MIN 20-3SF - Fuller 48 interception return (Wersching kick) MIN 20-10MIN - Jones 5 pass from Wilson (Nelson kick) MIN 27-10SF - Young 5 run (Wersching kick) MIN 27-17MIN - field goal Nelson 40 MIN 30-17MIN - field goal Nelson 40 MIN 33-17SF - Franklin 16 pass from Young (Wersching kick) MIN 33-24MIN - field goal Nelson 23 MIN 36-24

Aided by wide receiver Anthony Carter's 10 receptions for an NFL playoff record 227 receiving yards, the Vikings upset the top seeded 49ers, who had earned the league's best record during the regular season at 13-2. After the teams traded field goals in the first quarter, quarterback Wade Wilson completed a 7-yard touchdown pass to tight end Carl Hilton. Minnesota then jumped to a 20-3 lead before halftime with Chuck Nelson's 23-yard field goal and defensive back Najee Mustafaa a.k.a. Reggie Rutland's 45-yard interception return for a touchdown. In the third period, San Francisco defensive back Jeff Fuller returned an interception 48 yard for a touchdown, but it was countered with Wilson's 5-yard touchdown pass to Hassan Jones. 49ers backup quarterback Steve Young, who replaced starter Joe Montana midway through the game, scored a rushing touchdown and threw another. But it was not enough as Nelson made 3 more field goals in the second half to put the game out of reach.

Until 2008, this was the last time the #1 seed in the NFC did not advance to the NFC Championship game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987%E2...cisco_49ers_24
    Last edited by Medford Bronco; 02-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Hey WTE Montana was hurt in 1992 and Young played that game

your point is well taken though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana
    But you're proving my point Med. The last 5 years or so Brady's played through injury in the playoffs and hasn't been as effective. He had the foot injury in Super Bowl 42 and wasn't mobile enough to avoid the pass rush.

Last Sunday Justin Tuck re-injured Tom Brady's left shoulder and he wasn't the same after. Prior to the hit brady completed 16 in a row. After the hit he was like 7 of 16 or something.

In Tom brady's early career injury was not a problem and it did not affect his game in the playoffs. Just like Montana.

As Brady got older injury has affected his game in the playoffs. Just like Montana.

You're very wise and astute Med.

3. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

But you're proving my point Med. The last 5 years or so Brady's played through injury in the playoffs and hasn't been as effective. He had the foot injury in Super Bowl 42 and wasn't mobile enough to avoid the pass rush.

Last Sunday Justin Tuck re-injured Tom Brady's left shoulder and he wasn't the same after. Prior to the hit brady completed 16 in a row. After the hit he was like 7 of 16 or something.

In Tom brady's early career injury was not a problem and it did not affect his game in the playoffs. Just like Montana.

As Brady got older injury has affected his game in the playoffs. Just like Montana.

You're very wise and astute Med.
    Thanks WTE.

I have heard some pink hats around here blame the whole game on Brady. They are so dumb it is not even funny.

So many things change that game besides the Welker play. I also dont like the pass pass all the time offense. I would like to see NE use more run and set up play action more, with Gronk being at less than 100%

Brady got slammed by Tuck and that was when the passes were a bit off. Also his WR like Branch and Hernandez did not help either.

It is a team game as we like to think. This was a see saw game. The Giants eaked one out. Even game, good to watch for most neutral fans.

I would take Brady right now over anyone except maybe Rodgers. That is only because of age, otherwise the top 3 with Brees as well are so far above the rest before the next tier.

What cracks me up is the game manager has like a 115-36 lifetime record and never had a losing season. Even Montana, the best, had a losing season at the beginning of his career before Bill Walsh got it all together and changed the way the NFL offense is played.

Just my opinion, not that I am any expert.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Thanks WTE.

I have heard some pink hats around here blame the whole game on Brady. They are so dumb it is not even funny.

So many things change that game besides the Welker play. I also dont like the pass pass all the time offense. I would like to see NE use more run and set up play action more, with Gronk being at less than 100%

Brady got slammed by Tuck and that was when the passes were a bit off. Also his WR like Branch and Hernandez did not help either.

It is a team game as we like to think. This was a see saw game. The Giants eaked one out. Even game, good to watch for most neutral fans.

I would take Brady right now over anyone except maybe Rodgers. That is only because of age, otherwise the top 3 with Brees as well are so far above the rest before the next tier.

What cracks me up is the game manager has like a 115-36 lifetime record and never had a losing season. Even Montana, the best, had a losing season at the beginning of his career before Bill Walsh got it all together and changed the way the NFL offense is played.

Just my opinion, not that I am any expert.
    You say that we want to blame the game on Brady, but you want to give him all the credit for the 115-36 record.

The quarterback win-loss record is about as useful as a pitcher or goalie win-loss record.

I agree with you that its the team that wins and loses the game. That's why I'm more impressed with the Patriots as a whole than Brady individually. Again, Brady is good, he is just not Elite.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I finally read this thread and cracked up that some of you think that Tom Brady is more a "game manager" or isn't as good as Joe Montana because he lost a couple critical playoff games.

I think these same posters were either too young to watch Montana or probably not even born.

Did you know................

In 1983 Joe Montana lost the NFC Championship Game to Washington 24-21?

In 1985 Joe Montana was quickly eliminated in the playoffs by the New York Giants 17-3? (that's right, 3 points)

In 1986 Joe Montana lost again in the Playoffs to the Giants 49-3? (Tom Brady's team has never been embrassed like that in the playoffs!)

In 1990 the NY Giants beat Joe Montana's 49ers 15-13? (Hmmmmm, low scoring. Game manager Joe?)

In 1992 Joe Montana lost to the Dallas Cowboys 30-20 in the NFC Championship Game. (Hey King, does scoring just 20 points mean Joe was just a "Game Manager?)

You can't win them all Haters!!
    The Patriots were beat 45-10 by the Bears in the '85 Super Bowl I think qualifies as embarrassing. Also just for information sake Steve Young was the quarterback of the 49ers in '92. You do however have the correct score of the game.

This is just looking for excuses. I've been defending Brady throughout this thread, but Brady's shoulder didn't hinder his play. The Giants hindered his play. Now you are throwing excuses to an injury in the last Super Bowl.... another excuse that is lame.

The team went 18-0,and you want to blame the foot for the Super Bowl? Jeeez, thats REALLY hurting your case... and just like Tebow... REALLY making you sound ridiculously homerish.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    This is just looking for excuses. I've been defending Brady throughout this thread, but Brady's shoulder didn't hinder his play. The Giants hindered his play. Now you are throwing excuses to an injury in the last Super Bowl.... another excuse that is lame.

The team went 18-0,and you want to blame the foot for the Super Bowl? Jeeez, thats REALLY hurting your case... and just like Tebow... REALLY making you sound ridiculously homerish.
    Who said I'm looking for excuses? The Patriots lost. Big deal. My point is you can't win them all.

And please don't defend Brady. Patriot Nation doesn't need an ass like you defending Tom Brady. You were jumping up and down when Pollard destroyed his knee.

You're a dikk. There, I said it.

10. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Who said I'm looking for excuses? The Patriots lost. Big deal. My point is you can't win them all.

And please don't defend Brady. Patriot Nation doesn't need an ass like you defending Tom Brady. You were jumping up and down when Pollard destroyed his knee.

I think your post should have this appended to the end of it.

I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I think your post should have this appended to the end of it.

That's awesome Tink.

Awww.. now you've gone and hurt my feelings.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Awww.. now you've gone and hurt my feelings.
    I was hoping you would get hurt. There, I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    The Patriots were beat 45-10 by the Bears in the '85 Super Bowl I think qualifies as embarrassing.
    Yes, that was a very embarrassing and depressing loss, especially because shortly afterwards word broke that several members of that team had drug abuse issues, etc.

However, I don't believe that Tom Brady was the quarterback of that team, so I don't see how that has any relevance in response to WTE's post?
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    Yes, that was a very embarrassing and depressing loss, especially because shortly afterwards word broke that several members of that team had drug abuse issues, etc.

However, I don't believe that Tom Brady was the quarterback of that team, so I don't see how that has any relevance in response to WTE's post?
    The point was that it's an embarrassing lose. Are you less confused now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

The Patriots were beat 45-10 by the Bears in the '85 Super Bowl I think qualifies as embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post

The point was that it's an embarrassing lose. Are you less confused now?
    Just to clear up your confusion TX, here is what WTE actually wrote in the post that you responded to...

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

19. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

The Patriots were beat 45-10 by the Bears in the '85 Super Bowl I think qualifies as embarrassing. Also just for information sake Steve Young was the quarterback of the 49ers in '92. You do however have the correct score of the game.
    46-10 so who is counting

1 2 3 4 Total
    Bears 13 10 21 2 46
    Patriots 3 0 0 7 10

at Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana

Date: January 26, 1986
    Game time: 4:21 p.m. CST
    Game weather: Played indoors, domed stadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XX

21. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information