Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Ask Anything (Defensively)

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I dont expect it. I hope like no other, I am praying to god, tebow and everything else for it, but I honestly have so little faith in mccoy.
    Far from an unfair assessment based on what we've seen. So far his offenses have ranked pretty dreadfully and, as far as I'm concerned, we've won games DESPITE our offensive play-calling... not the other way around.
    Russlin jimmies since 1981

2. The Following User High Fived TheReverend For This Post:

Being as there are 16 pages, I hope this hasn't been brought up. I still need a little clarification on describing DL as technique players. Mostly I hear 3 tech. and 5 tech.

I was thinking Doom was like a 5 and Ayers was a 3. But I heard the 3 called a DT. I don't know. Am I way off base? Help?

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Being as there are 16 pages, I hope this hasn't been brought up. I still need a little clarification on describing DL as technique players. Mostly I hear 3 tech. and 5 tech.

I was thinking Doom was like a 5 and Ayers was a 3. But I heard the 3 called a DT. I don't know. Am I way off base? Help?
    Don't worry, about 1/4 of one of those 16 pages is actual Q&A haha

A 3 tech is the standard "under tackle" alignment where the DT lines up on the G's outside shoulder (it's standard for the other DT to play a "Nose" position over the center and two gap in a 0 or 1 alignment).

A 5 tech is a standard 3-4 DE playing that same alignment, only outside of the tackle and not the guard... which in reality is more of a DT position and closely resembles the skill set of a 4-3 UT.

43 defensive ends standardly play 7 and 9s. Elvis will usually passrush from a 9 whereas Ayers does more setting the edge from a 7.

Anyway, here's a guide for how the #s and alignment work for ya man:

If that doesn't clear it up for you let me know.

I got you now.

One question. When there is a TE, the DE like Doom will line up in the 9 gap where the TE is no matter what? Like if there's a TE on one side will Doom be on that side and if he's on the other side will Doom and Ayers swap sides? And resulting in the 3 technique DT to jump onto the other side of the NT to stay on the same side as Doom?

Did I ask that question clear enough?

I got you now.

One question. When there is a TE, the DE like Doom will line up in the 9 gap where the TE is no matter what? Like if there's a TE on one side will Doom be on that side and if he's on the other side will Doom and Ayers swap sides? And resulting in the 3 technique DT to jump onto the other side of the NT to stay on the same side as Doom?

Did I ask that question clear enough?
    Clear enough.

What has a bearing is the front (which CAN absolutely be--and generally are--predetermined by the formation the and alignment the offense sets themselves in)

4-3 Over, 4-3 under or a base 4-3.

Here's a basic 4-3 alignment:

Now, here's the 4-3 under. Note the variation (DLs a little staggered along with the dominant changes to the LB alignment)

And a 4-3 over (gap responsiblities are flipped from the "under" front)

Okay. That makes enough sense. Seriously, thanks for the visuals.

Okay. That makes enough sense. Seriously, thanks for the visuals.
    Seriously, anytime.

If something isn't clear or you want more info on something else, let me know.

Thanks again.

While I'm at it.

What's the difference in the Free Safety and the Strong Safety. The only thing I really thought was the FS is more of a cover S and the SS would be up near the box if a S is brought down.

Does the Strong Side OLB always line up against the strong side of the offense? What if there's a player in motion that makes the other side of the ball the strong side? I always used to think the strong side was the right side, but now I believe it's whichever side has more Offensive blockers, right?

I think that's all the questions I can think of right now. These are just a few things I haven't really needed to know, but I've grown curious about.

Thanks again.

While I'm at it.

What's the difference in the Free Safety and the Strong Safety. The only thing I really thought was the FS is more of a cover S and the SS would be up near the box if a S is brought down.

Does the Strong Side OLB always line up against the strong side of the offense? What if there's a player in motion that makes the other side of the ball the strong side? I always used to think the strong side was the right side, but now I believe it's whichever side has more Offensive blockers, right?

I think that's all the questions I can think of right now. These are just a few things I haven't really needed to know, but I've grown curious about.
    Sorry for delay, was on vacation.

Your questions are generally up to that specific defense and pretty fluid from team to team, that being said:

-Traditionally you have FS and SS pegged, but with offenses growing more pass oriented, you're seeing the difference between them not only fade away, but you're seeing the "three down" safety steadily becoming more rare. There are some incredible athletes that can play the pass and run just as well and sit on a hash playing a deep half as well as they bump and run a TE and stack and shed a blocker, but you're seeing a lot more different guys come in situationally than you have in NFL history.

-The Sam today usually lines up on the same side of the field regardless of strong side alignment and becomes more of a LOLB than a Sam. That can definitely change based on the offenses alignment and the defensive playcall however. Example: Man coverage, he'll probably follow the TE since that's generally his responsibility (*or a FB/H-Back). Change of formation at the LOS that dictates a new defense, etc.

Alright - I'd really like to step up my knowledge of defense - I just love it - but I know very very little about it. I know it's a huge subject, so I'd like to start with the basic stuff.

I can tell who the CBs and S's are when I see the play starting - and I have a basic understanding of what those guys are responsible for.

After that, when I hear "17 is the Mike" or whatever, I'm lost.

So, I realize I'm asking a very huge question - but where would you guys get started? Maybe just knowing _all_ the basic positions and their responsibilities seems like a good place to start - where can I read that? After that then understanding the formations and why you would choose one over the other would be next.

Yeah, I know I'm asking for a lot. Help me get started, I love defense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blamkin86 View Post
    Alright - I'd really like to step up my knowledge of defense - I just love it - but I know very very little about it. I know it's a huge subject, so I'd like to start with the basic stuff.

I can tell who the CBs and S's are when I see the play starting - and I have a basic understanding of what those guys are responsible for.

After that, when I hear "17 is the Mike" or whatever, I'm lost.

So, I realize I'm asking a very huge question - but where would you guys get started? Maybe just knowing _all_ the basic positions and their responsibilities seems like a good place to start - where can I read that? After that then understanding the formations and why you would choose one over the other would be next.

Yeah, I know I'm asking for a lot. Help me get started, I love defense. Thanks!
    Dive into books. Kirwan has a GREAT one here http://www.patkirwan.com/

If not, this is a little too comprehensive to address in a post or two, but I AM planning on getting a subsection of my website going where I'll address fundamentals to advanced stuff that hopefully should be STARTED by next week at patrickturley.org/football

That's perfect thank you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Seriously, slim, WTF?

You don't answer my question, you don't troll buff when I start a thread specifically for that purpose, you don't come to the tailgate...

Give me a reason to give a damn about us.
    Some things never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I always miss the good shit.

Btw, Tebow ... lolololololololololol
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Man this was a pretty funny thread slim saluted a post in here which brought me here. I miss posting with Top. Nice old guy he was. Feel bad that he had that masterbation issue so late in life. Just kidding jesus and top. Just some weird earthly ribbing.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information