Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thnikk's networking corner.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    I'll check it out. That old computer is a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2005 for around $1800. I think the hard drive is going.

It has a green light in the upper left corner of the keyboard that is either constantly on or constantly blinking quickly. Is this the hard drive light and does this mean my hard drive is over working and ready to die?
    I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.
    It is a little louder, like it's overworking. I brought it in for service about a year ago and was told the hard drive is going but he had a hard time getting his hands on used laptop parts. I said to myself that I didn't want to spend another penny servicing that thing.

My two kids aren't overly careful w/ electronics so I've learned to buy stuff cheap or used so if they break it or lose it I won't be as pissed. The last laptop I bought is an Acer w/ a 10" screen I got at Walmart for $250. It's actually been a great unit. Me and my boys use it all the time.

It is possible, but you need the right equipment to do so. I've been able to do so from my wireless printer, but not from a scanner that I had hooked up to another computer, or a wireless print server.

oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb
    Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?

Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?

ok i will google for updates.

its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    ok i will google for updates.

its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.
    I hate to sound negative, but good luck with that. Lexmarks are notoriously cheap and difficult to work with.

7. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.
    It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.
    I'd guess that's what is happening. It used to drive me nuts - especially on a laptop. I can wait the extra .0003 seconds when opening a file/program without indexing...

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
    Maybe a couple.

I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?

One more:
    I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
    Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-02-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: I just can't type today.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
    Maybe a couple.

I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?

One more:
    I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
    Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?
    These aren't networking questions, but I'll do my best to answer them.

RTFM. Thank you.

For the Mediasmart software, you may want to see if its an available download for your laptop on HP's site. That's a little too propitiatory to get into. If you want something to play music and DVDs, I suggest VLC for all of your video needs and xmmx or foobar2000 for mp3s. For the fingerprint software, again, I don't know enough about your hardware to really help. Check HP's website for updated drivers, and go from there. Google is going to be your best friend getting that one figured out.

As far as the HP touchpad goes, the archatecture won't support something like windows 7. I know that many have been able to get Android 4.0 installed on that device, and there are tons of apps for that. Again, Google.

Thanks Thnik! I told my wife last night that I was going to do this over the weekend. I'll let you know if I need further assistance. This time I'll write down my username and password though

15. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Yeah, let me know how it works for you. I've got to put all of these things I learned as a Network Admin for good use somewhere.

17. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
    I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
    and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
    from the other end.

The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
    adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
    good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
    I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
    and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
    from the other end.

The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
    adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
    good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

-----
    What kind of router is it? I'm not very familiar with the Nettalk service, but it looks like you may want to set up some Quality of Service rules to give priority to your Nettalk adapter.

What kinds of problems are you having, and how much bandwidth does the Nettalk service need?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information