Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 114

Thread: Thnikk's networking corner.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    I'll check it out. That old computer is a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2005 for around $1800. I think the hard drive is going.

    It has a green light in the upper left corner of the keyboard that is either constantly on or constantly blinking quickly. Is this the hard drive light and does this mean my hard drive is over working and ready to die?
    I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.
    It is a little louder, like it's overworking. I brought it in for service about a year ago and was told the hard drive is going but he had a hard time getting his hands on used laptop parts. I said to myself that I didn't want to spend another penny servicing that thing.

    My two kids aren't overly careful w/ electronics so I've learned to buy stuff cheap or used so if they break it or lose it I won't be as pissed. The last laptop I bought is an Acer w/ a 10" screen I got at Walmart for $250. It's actually been a great unit. Me and my boys use it all the time.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    14,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    It is possible, but you need the right equipment to do so. I've been able to do so from my wireless printer, but not from a scanner that I had hooked up to another computer, or a wireless print server.


    oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb
    Roby.davante Adams.dakota dozier. Antone exum. Avery Williamson.

    ed reynolds
    Calvin Pryor
    roberson
    purify
    -baptiste
    Aaon Colvin
    Jimmie ward
    scott chrichton
    Dominique easly
    marcus smith
    ben gardner
    Chris smith
    Jerick Mckinnon
    terrence west
    Isaiah crowell
    Zac Martin
    Xavier sia luasomething?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb
    Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    14,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?

    ok i will google for updates.



    its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.
    Roby.davante Adams.dakota dozier. Antone exum. Avery Williamson.

    ed reynolds
    Calvin Pryor
    roberson
    purify
    -baptiste
    Aaon Colvin
    Jimmie ward
    scott chrichton
    Dominique easly
    marcus smith
    ben gardner
    Chris smith
    Jerick Mckinnon
    terrence west
    Isaiah crowell
    Zac Martin
    Xavier sia luasomething?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    ok i will google for updates.



    its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.
    I hate to sound negative, but good luck with that. Lexmarks are notoriously cheap and difficult to work with.
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  7. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:


  8. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    16,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.
    Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.
    It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    16,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.
    I'd guess that's what is happening. It used to drive me nuts - especially on a laptop. I can wait the extra .0003 seconds when opening a file/program without indexing...

  11. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:


  12. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Appalachia
    Adopted Bronco:
    Jacob Tamme
    Posts
    12,159

    Default

    Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
    Maybe a couple.

    I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?



    One more:
    I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
    Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?
    Last edited by dbfan2007; 02-02-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: I just can't type today.
    Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee, Rocky Top Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Go Vols.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
    Maybe a couple.

    I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?



    One more:
    I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
    Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?
    These aren't networking questions, but I'll do my best to answer them.

    RTFM. Thank you.

    For the Mediasmart software, you may want to see if its an available download for your laptop on HP's site. That's a little too propitiatory to get into. If you want something to play music and DVDs, I suggest VLC for all of your video needs and xmmx or foobar2000 for mp3s. For the fingerprint software, again, I don't know enough about your hardware to really help. Check HP's website for updated drivers, and go from there. Google is going to be your best friend getting that one figured out.

    As far as the HP touchpad goes, the archatecture won't support something like windows 7. I know that many have been able to get Android 4.0 installed on that device, and there are tons of apps for that. Again, Google.
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It depends
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    Thanks Thnik! I told my wife last night that I was going to do this over the weekend. I'll let you know if I need further assistance. This time I'll write down my username and password though

  15. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:


  16. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Yeah, let me know how it works for you. I've got to put all of these things I learned as a Network Admin for good use somewhere.
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

  17. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:


  18. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    27,061

    Default

    Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
    I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
    and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
    from the other end.

    The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
    adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

    I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
    good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

    -----



  19. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL
    Posts
    22,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
    I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
    and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
    from the other end.

    The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
    adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

    I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
    good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

    -----
    What kind of router is it? I'm not very familiar with the Nettalk service, but it looks like you may want to set up some Quality of Service rules to give priority to your Nettalk adapter.

    What kinds of problems are you having, and how much bandwidth does the Nettalk service need?
    Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 01:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 01:40 PM
  5. Networking Question
    By BroncoJoe in forum Technology and Electronics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
dedicated servers
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group