Thread: Firefox problem

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Default Firefox problem

Guys, I've been having a lot of problems with this website lately and I was wondering if anyone else was or if anyone had suggestions. I can't use a lot of the buttons like multi quote or the emoticons. It also now seems to be that the website isn't remembering what I've already read so the read first new post button doesn't work for me either. It's just this website as well, I'm not having the same problems when I go to O-mane or other sites.

I've updated firefox to 3.0.7 which should be the latest version.

Also if there is a better forum for this go ahead and move it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Clear all of your cookies and all your private data, that should fix the problems.

Thats Fantabulous~~Sterling Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler6MVP View Post
    Clear all of your cookies and all your private data, that should fix the problems.
    I gave that a try but it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    I gave that a try but it didn't work.
    Fan, I am going to move this over to the feedback section and also forward it to Tned, perhaps he has some answers. I'm on Firefox as well and did the update, but haven't had any issues so far. Was firefox doing this before the update?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Fan, I am going to move this over to the feedback section and also forward it to Tned, perhaps he has some answers. I'm on Firefox as well and did the update, but haven't had any issues so far. Was firefox doing this before the update?
    Thanks GEM,

I had most of the problems before the update, but it was after the update that it stopped remembering what I'd read.

Are you running any extensions/add-ons with firefox at all? I had a problem with one of mine, but it was a while ago. You may want to check your security settings as well, sometimes those will prevent things from working correctly.
    "There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

I do have adblock and google toolbar I'll try disabling adblock and see what happens. The good news is that it's just the buttons right now that I can't use, it's remembering what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    I do have adblock and google toolbar I'll try disabling adblock and see what happens. The good news is that it's just the buttons right now that I can't use, it's remembering what I've read.
    I experience the same problem. The reason it happens to me is that I log in with multiple computers (work, home, laptop).

What happens is that vBulletin uses cookies to figure out when your last login was, what threads you have viewed and at what time, and therefore which threads/posts are 'new'.

Typically when logging in from multiple computers, but sometimes even just one, the vB cookie gets in a confused/mismatched state.

If you are simply logging in from one computer, then simply going to the forum index (www.broncosforums.com/forums) and going to the bottom and clicking "mark all forums read", THEN go to the upper right and click log out, then close all your browser windows and come back in.

If it worked properly, when you come back to Broncosforums it should make you login again. If it remembered you, then click logout again and try closing the browser again. You need to get it to "log you out" before things will reset.

If you are hitting BF from multiple computers, then in order to avoid it getting confused, the safest thing to do is to click logout from one computer, before logging in on another.

in other words, lets say you view BF at work, and at home. Before leaving work, click "Log out", rather than just closing your browser. Then, at home, you should be able to connect, log in, leave "remember me" checked, and open and close your browser at will and it will typically bahave well. However, if you are then going to open it on another computer (or switch between fireforx and IE on the same computer), you should click "log out" before connecting from the other computer.

The reason this happens is that if you don't specifically log out, then vB uses a timeout. If you haven't posted, clicked new posts, clicked on a thread, etc. in a certain period of time, then it counts you as logged out and tags all those threads as no longer new.

If you go from one computer to another before the timeout is reached (I think 30 minutes), then it can become confused, and you lose the ability to click "first unread post" and go to the first unread post, rather than being shown a post that you have already read.

While I have most often seen it when moving from computer to computer, I have also had it happen while on the same computer, and when it does, the only 'reset' I have found is what I described before, which is to mark all forums read, logout, close browser windows (all of them), then come back and make sure it 'really' logged you out.

If that was too convoluted an explanation or doing the above doesn't help, let me know.

9. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Hmmm . . . must be strictly a Firefox problem. I use largely Google's Chrome
    here. I will at times be over at my daughter's place and check the forum there
    when she's not looking (heh). I don't encounter that problem in her Firefox . . .
    but then, maybe it's when Firefox is implemented from both computers?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Okay I did get all of the problems fixed. It was the cookies for the posts and adblock for the buttons.

Thanks guys for your help.

12. The Following User High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Exiled fans aren't allowed to multi-quote.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

14. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information