Poll: What is the most important passing aspect Tebow must improve?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What passing aspect is most important for Tebow to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Phidelt218 View Post
    But if you go 6 for 10 for 6 YPA that is 36 yards. If you go 5 for 10 for 6YPA that is 30 yards. If completions go up then you are getting more plays of that yardage. But if he is completion is less and same yards (at end of game) his YPA goes up.
    you are thinking yards per catch, not yards per attempt

if I go 5 for 10 for at 6YPA it is 60 yards, if I go 6 for 10 for 6 ypa it is 60 yards

both make 10 attempts. YPA has a punishment for incompletions built into it as it sets the yards for that pass to 0

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    you wouldn't see an increase in total yards. Example

I throw 10 passes, complete 5 for 70 yards

You throw 10 passes complete 7 for 70 yards

we both have a YPA of 7 yards, but you have a higher completion %
    You are correct, no idea what the hell I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

3. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    You are correct, no idea what the hell I was thinking.
    math is hard

Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Eyeball/field/situational awareness. If this improves everything else improves. he has already shown he can throw a good accurate catchable ball, and hit a guy in stride, but he needs to see more of the field and find his targets much faster.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Eyeball/field/situational awareness. If this improves everything else improves. he has already shown he can throw a good accurate catchable ball, and hit a guy in stride, but he needs to see more of the field and find his targets much faster.
    I would have picked that one if I could think of a way to quantify it. The mk.1 human eyeball is notoriously unreliable

Mark Twain

8. The Following User High Fived catfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Everything. He throws the ugliest ball Ive ever seen. Plunkett is the only comparison that comes to mind. Its like his hands are to small to grip the ball.
    I can't how they measure a quarterback's hand at the combine but Tebow's largest when he was there.

It looks to me like Tebow's hand engulfs a football.

That said I would like see him improve cutting out the wobble from his passes on a more consistent basis it makes the ball easier to catch.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 01-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.

10. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    math is hard
    easy for me I was just in left field in wrong category

12. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

I think the 'eyeball test' is the most obvious choice, and most of the other stuff follows from that. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are accurate passers, but what really separates them is their ability to become the general on the field and recognize what defenses are doing. This applies both pre-snap and after the snap. That lets them change the play before the snap, or after the snap recognize who will be open (very often that means finding which guy is drawing the one-on-one coverage or recognizing if a WR is being covered by a linebacker).

Believe it or not these guys don't make a living throwing a perfect pass in a tight window between two defenders (although that helps sometimes). It's understanding what the safety is doing, recognizing pressure packages, recognizing who is covering who, and (just as important) the one thing these guys do well that Tebow needs to do is find the RB to dump off the ball to if no one is open. That will also improve the completion %, which is important, even if it is a short completion. 2nd and 5 vs. 2nd and 10 can help determine whether a drive stays alive or not.

As long as you aren't throwing for one yard per pass, the "yards per catch" isn't an incredibly meaningful stat, since it depends very much on what the opposing defense is presenting you with. Usually NFL defenses are good at taking away a single aspect of the game if they want to, and that includes the deep ball. We did that to Peyton Manning a couple times we played him, and he was happy picking us apart with dump passes that went for 6 or 7 yards each time. But it worked for them, since it occupied a lot of time, and moved the chains. Brady does those short throws a lot too. And if you can do that, very often defenses will move up and cheat, and that is when you can hit that long ball to Thomas with more consistency.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived cmc0605 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    I think the 'eyeball test' is the most obvious choice, and most of the other stuff follows from that. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are accurate passers, but what really separates them is their ability to become the general on the field and recognize what defenses are doing. This applies both pre-snap and after the snap. That lets them change the play before the snap, or after the snap recognize who will be open (very often that means finding which guy is drawing the one-on-one coverage or recognizing if a WR is being covered by a linebacker).

Believe it or not these guys don't make a living throwing a perfect pass in a tight window between two defenders (although that helps sometimes). It's understanding what the safety is doing, recognizing pressure packages, recognizing who is covering who, and (just as important) the one thing these guys do well that Tebow needs to do is find the RB to dump off the ball to if no one is open. That will also improve the completion %, which is important, even if it is a short completion. 2nd and 5 vs. 2nd and 10 can help determine whether a drive stays alive or not.

As long as you aren't throwing for one yard per pass, the "yards per catch" isn't an incredibly meaningful stat, since it depends very much on what the opposing defense is presenting you with. Usually NFL defenses are good at taking away a single aspect of the game if they want to, and that includes the deep ball. We did that to Peyton Manning a couple times we played him, and he was happy picking us apart with dump passes that went for 6 or 7 yards each time. But it worked for them, since it occupied a lot of time, and moved the chains. Brady does those short throws a lot too. And if you can do that, very often defenses will move up and cheat, and that is when you can hit that long ball to Thomas with more consistency.
    I agree with your post, just want to make sure I am clear that I am a fan of yards per attempt, not yards per catch

Mark Twain

He needs to focus on two things.

1) Reading his progressions. (Ever wonder why guys go backwards in year two? It's because defenses will figure him out and force him to go to his 2nd and 3rd read)

2) Mechanics. (He has to improve)

Reading defenses and changing the play will come with experience, not as high up the list but important.

I would also like to see him get totally drunk and take a few cheerleaders home.

17. The Following User High Fived Superchop 7 For This Post:

Making NFL passes consistently.

By this I mean:
    1) Read the D and make a medium to short passes(slants, hooks, crosses and outs) to "open" recievers. By open I mean NFL open not college open.
    2) Get passes off on time and don't hesitate so much.
    3) Gain confidence in his read and don't be afraid to throw the ball over the middle.
    4) Learn where his recievers are supposed to be so he can make the right pass.

He has a ways to go as an NFL passer. It was encouraging that they were able to win without being able to complete a lot of standard NFL passes.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

I picked footwork before I signed in. I'm hoping he'll make some significant strides this offseason with Elway's help.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

accuracy, ability to read defenses/go through progressions, decisiveness, footwork in the pocket, ball security. . . and anything else that will make dennis allen cry twice a year!

22. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

where's the "all of the above (except the last one)" option?

Can't really separate things this way imo, each option is influence by another. If he's improving in some categories, odds are he's getting better in most of them.
    If not me, who?

24. The Following User High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Don't even really know where to start...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

26. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information