Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should the NFL adopt NCAA rules overtime?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Default Should the NFL adopt NCAA rules overtime?

I think so. Discuss.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I think so. Discuss.
    One word for ya......................

NO

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Why? I think it's more exciting. I say cut the preseason down to 2 games, make the regular season 18 games, and adopt the NCAA rules over time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Why? I think it's more exciting. I say cut the preseason down to 2 games, make the regular season 18 games, and adopt the NCAA rules over time.
    I disagree on the overtime issue. I could be sold on the 18 game season but I also like it case in point new defensive coach and our def. needs these 4 games!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I think so. Discuss.
    Refresh my memory, what's the difference?
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Den21vsBal19 View Post
    Refresh my memory, what's the difference?
    In a nutshell, when the NCAA has an overtime game say the first team (team A) to recieve the kick off scores a field goal...they then kick off to the team that was scored against (team B). If team B doesn't score a field goal, they lose because they didn't match team A. IF they score a field goal, they then kick back off. But if they score a TD the game is over.

I think that's how it goes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

In a nutshell, when the NCAA has an overtime game say the first team (team A) to recieve the kick off scores a field goal...they then kick off to the team that was scored against (team B). If team B doesn't score a field goal, they lose because they didn't match team A. IF they score a field goal, they then kick back off. But if they score a TD the game is over.

I think that's how it goes.

Oh, right I think they used to run the same thing in the old World League............equal possesions.................

I don't think it's a bad idea, at the moment the luck factor of the coin toss is way to important.
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

I think so. Discuss.

That isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if the NFL adopted the NCAA overtime rules...

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    That isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if the NFL adopted the NCAA overtime rules...
    I was reading an article a few ago about how the NHL likes the new excitement that the recent (two years ago) rule changes brought and it got me thinking "what could the NFL do to break the monotony and make games slightly more exciting"...to me...changing overtime rules would be a step in the right direction...sometimes football games bore the hell outta me...
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

I think so. Discuss.
    I'm not a fan. If they don't do Sudden death, then I think they could do something like four five minute OT periods. If you go to OT, you play five minutes, if at the end of five minutes you are still tied, you do another five, etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I say yes, but start the ball at the 50 instead of the 25.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

It will never happen. THe owners would never go for it based off of the money spent on players.

Could you see these guys playing into the 3rd, 4th or 5th OT?

I think they do need to do something different though. I like a time limit instead of sudden death type scenario. 5-7 minutes or so would be good. But even with that, you get more and more time playing for the "high priced" players if no one scores.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    It will never happen. THe owners would never go for it based off of the money spent on players.

Could you see these guys playing into the 3rd, 4th or 5th OT?

I think they do need to do something different though. I like a time limit instead of sudden death type scenario. 5-7 minutes or so would be good. But even with that, you get more and more time playing for the "high priced" players if no one scores.
    I've always liked the idea of switching away from the sudden death... I like the equal opportunities method... but I'd never thought about the injury possibilities...

But then again, if we're going to let fear run the league, we could just have everyone show up to camp, have some reps recorded and a 40 ran... and let the Madden AI decide who gets the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I've always liked the idea of switching away from the sudden death... I like the equal opportunities method... but I'd never thought about the injury possibilities...

But then again, if we're going to let fear run the league, we could just have everyone show up to camp, have some reps recorded and a 40 ran... and let the Madden AI decide who gets the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Or we could cut the preseason down to 2 games, expand the regular season to 18 and make the roster a 65 man instead of 53.

A bigger roster would mean more personel to play with and in that case playing longer in OT wouldn't hurt as much...for some.

But, would a longer season and longer OT ( like college ) put an Asterist * on the record books because guys could have 4-5 touchdown games on the regular??

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Or we could cut the preseason down to 2 games, expand the regular season to 18 and make the roster a 65 man instead of 53.

A bigger roster would mean more personel to play with and in that case playing longer in OT wouldn't hurt as much...for some.

But, would a longer season and longer OT ( like college ) put an Asterist * on the record books because guys could have 4-5 touchdown games on the regular??
    I'm against the expansion of regular season for the whole * argument.

Edit: I didn't see the part about OT affecting TD counts... I think they're too rare to truly affect the NFL as a whole... but I could be wrong. How many OTs did LT have last year?

I don't think expanded rosters would make owners more likely to stop worrying about injuries.

Jay Cutler is still priceless to the franchise even if we can keep Parsons on the roster.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information