Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Post-Season Mock Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default Assassin's Post-Season Mock Draft

Tebow's play, IMHO, has played him into the 2012 starters role...right, wrong or otherwise. He's shown an uncanny ability to win games and that can't be ignored. I have ZERO QBs in this mock because, well, I think they all suck after Luck and RG3. This is an all or nothing year for us. Due to those returning for their senior years, I believe 2013 will be a huge QB draft. This gives us an out then, if Tebow struggles in 2012.

My plan would be to use Free Agency for CB help, OL depth and a backup QB.

round 1
    DONT'A HIGHTOWER, MLB, Alabama
    6'4" 260

No change here. Hightower has been nothing short of spectacular since he arrived at Alabama. He's a giant and plays very athletic for his size. I think his speed will also surprise at the combine. He is a monster inside and I believe that he, along with Von Miller will instill fear in opposing offenses and return the "Crush" to Denver's defense. Mays has been solid, but a liability against the pass. I like what I've seen from DJ now that he's back home at WILL and Woodyard is a solid 4th LB option. Hightower rounds out a damn good LB corps. I like some DTs who may be here, but IMO, MLB is the way to go.

round 2
    MIKE MARTIN DT, MICHIGAN
    6'2" 305

While I believe Malik Jackson will rise up the boards, he hasn't yet. This allows me to push him back a bit. With MLB already handles, I think WR is the way to go. Problem is, we need some small, fast, shifty guys and the value here would be the bigger targets. We have those. So I say go w/ a DT, the best of which here is Martin. A work horse and an under-rated athelete, Martin was huge for Michigan and their recent defensive resurgence. Poor scheme and coaching hurt him early, but he has proven what he can do w/ real defensive coaching.

round 3
    DOUG MARTIN, RB, Boise State
    5'9" 215

Lamar Miller and David Wilson will both be gone before we'd pick in round 2. I think we then move on to different options. I love Doug Martin here in round 3...and wouldn't be mad if we grabbed him in round 2. He has that Ray Rice, MJD feel to me. High praise, I know, but his build and running style have similarities. Low center of gravity and bulky, busy legs make it very hard for defenders to bring him down. He's a big sleeper in this draft. I think he's built well for our offense.

round 4
    MALIK JACKSON, DE/DT, Tennessee
    6'5" 270

Again...I think Jackson rises up the boards, but he is currently projected here. He is a USC transfer after the fallout. Starting DT, with DE experience, who is getting bigger each year. He has been dominant this year for the Vols. Overshadowed by the team's struggles and youth, Jackson has been a huge force in the SEC. He should be able to add depth and position flexibility to a much improved DLine.

round 5A
    JARIUS WRIGHT, WR, Arkansas
    5'10" 180

We traded a WR for what should be a 5th round pick. We should take a WR in the same round. Wright would be just one more weapon for Tebow and he's electric in the return game. He is a blazer who ended his college career as Arkansas's all time reception leader. Although DT and Decker seem to be nice building blocks, they both still have injury concerns. W/ Lloyd gone, Royal a possible departure and Matt Willis being sub-par, we will need a WR at some point in the off-season. FAs will not look forward to coming to play w/ Tebow, so we'll probably have to draft one.

round 5B
    JOE ADAMS, WR, Arkansas
    5'11" 190

Yes, I know, I just took Wright. But, Tebow NEEDS weapons. And Adams and Wright are both weapons with big time SEC experience. Both have amazing hands and speed (both time in the 4-3s). Adams and Wright battled for that all-time catch title at Arkansas.

round 7
    TAUREN POOLE, RB, Tennessee
    5'10" 215

All around stable back for the Vols. Had over 1000 yards and 11 TDs against an SEC schedule in 2010. Having a down year this year, but that is due to a number of issues. RB depth will be key given Fox's style of offense. Not the dynamic home run hitter many covet, but Poole gets the job done. An excellent back to have in a rotation.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Pretty solid draft. I know you were jizzing all over the board the other night about Hightower so i expected this. But, (and i know its early) but i have seen some projections about Martin (Mich) and Malik (Tenn) and both were projected to go in later rounds than your drafting them. What source do you use to determine if they are too high or not? Or do you just fly by the seat of the pants and draft them wherever?

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It's still a little early to project where players will go and usually those "sleepers" everyone falls in love with are not sleepers by draft day and go far higher than you hoped, particularly guys with 4.3 speed.

I'd like to take a RB sooner than the third and get some help for the secondary but, overall, no complaints about these selections.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Dang UT homers. Haha.

7. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

I like some of the pics. It two wr and two rb is two too many fir my taste....we still have knowshon and fannin who were both ird ...I wouldn't like to see another two rbs.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Excellent draft.

But to be nit picky just a bit, i'd be willing to get a CB in place of 1 of the Arky WRs. Any ideas for a 5a/5b?

That's kinda late, earlier round would be nice but the mock is nice just the way it is. Especially if we address the CB position in FA like you said.

Nothing against either of those two, you could flip a coin between them and not lose on either IMO. Their both battle tested and have seen more balls than Jenna Jameson. But we really need to get younger and better at corner.

Curious about Jackson not getting a offer to the Senior Bowl yet. Not sure when the dealine is, haven't looked, but it would be a shame if he didn't get one. He could really boost his stock. If not, i believe Northman's projection in his mock for the later rounds could end up being pretty accurate. He could be a nice steal that late.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Skinny For This Post:

I would change 3 and 5a. That's it. And add Joe Adams' return skills to the summary.

I like Brandon Boykin possible at #3. Either way, I'd like a decent CB.

Also, if we don't get Tauren Poole, I want Bobby Rainey. In his last 2 seasons Rainey had 3,344 yards and 28 TDs. He helped a WKU team go from zero wins 2 seasons ago, to 7-5 this past season. Rainey had a great teacher in Willie Taggart.

13. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Excellent draft.

But to be nit picky just a bit, i'd be willing to get a CB in place of 1 of the Arky WRs. Any ideas for a 5a/5b?

That's kinda late, earlier round would be nice but the mock is nice just the way it is. Especially if we address the CB position in FA like you said.

Nothing against either of those two, you could flip a coin between them and not lose on either IMO. Their both battle tested and have seen more balls than Jenna Jameson. But we really need to get younger and better at corner.

Curious about Jackson not getting a offer to the Senior Bowl yet. Not sure when the dealine is, haven't looked, but it would be a shame if he didn't get one. He could really boost his stock. If not, i believe Northman's projection in his mock for the later rounds could end up being pretty accurate. He could be a nice steal that late.
    I would take Joe Adams just so I don't have to see him make returns against us.

I like Terrance Ganaway from Baylor as a FB. I'm not sure where he's projected because some have him as a RB and others as a FB. He's big. 6 foot 240 pounds.

One thing you can be sure of is that SA's drafts are always going to be loaded with SEC players, and there will always be 1 or 2 from Tennessee. Since the SEC has more NFL talent than any other conference in college football, they usually look pretty good.

I like the Hightower and Doug Martin picks. I don't think that Martin will drop to the end of the 3rd though. I don't care for the other Martin. I think that there are much better options for the 2nd round. Malik Jackson is a solid pick. I would say that we'll have a better idea of how the Broncos will be drafting after the free agency period is over, but I think they'll stay true to the BPA method of drafting......which is how it should be.

17. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Love the draft. I would think one of the 2 WR or 2 RB spots would be a DB!

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

I'd like to see o line and corner mixed in somewhere but you did mix them in with the FA so i like it

20. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    One thing you can be sure of is that SA's drafts are always going to be loaded with SEC players, and there will always be 1 or 2 from Tennessee. Since the SEC has more NFL talent than any other conference in college football, they usually look pretty good.

I like the Hightower and Doug Martin picks. I don't think that Martin will drop to the end of the 3rd though. I don't care for the other Martin. I think that there are much better options for the 2nd round. Malik Jackson is a solid pick. I would say that we'll have a better idea of how the Broncos will be drafting after the free agency period is over, but I think they'll stay true to the BPA method of drafting......which is how it should be.
    You know me too well...That said I admittedly stay with those I know and watch. I try not to be a homer, as I said Arian Foster was a fumbing poser his senior year at UT, but I invest a LOT of time watching the Vaols and the SEC.

I love Boykin, but I still think FA CB is the way to go. We can still get youth...just not rooks.

Mike Martin is a stout, sturdy, dependable dude w/ no diva attitude. That can't be undervalued. We are picking at the END of round 2, afterall.

I LOVE Doug Martin. If we grabbed him 1 round earlier, I'd be OK w/ that. Given the long list of RBs this year, he COULD fall.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Pretty solid draft. I know you were jizzing all over the board the other night about Hightower so i expected this. But, (and i know its early) but i have seen some projections about Martin (Mich) and Malik (Tenn) and both were projected to go in later rounds than your drafting them. What source do you use to determine if they are too high or not? Or do you just fly by the seat of the pants and draft them wherever?
    I have found that, over time, Scott Wright has been pretty damn good at projecting talent. That said...Malik is all me. I've watched him develop w/ my own 2 eyes. Once combines and pro days get here, folks will go back and watch the tape. Vols sucked. Jackson didn't.

23. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information