Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Bronco Plays

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Ok, it was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I remember Louis Wright picking up a blocked FG and returning it for a TD against Green Bay in the snow. I want to say it happened twice that game, but I can't remember if Wright did it both times. It was a long time ago, but still memorable enough for me to remember it (somewhat).

I also remember a goal line stand against the Oilers where Earl Campbell had an almost clear path to the end zone. On tv you saw Campbell disappear into a mass of humanity on one side and coming from the other direction at full speed was Randy Gradishar. It's one of the few times I ever saw Campbell go backward.

I was a kid for both of those plays, but they still stick out.

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived catfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    That's a great play, but the one I was thinking of happened against GB and I remember it was snowing. I'll see if I can find it. Of course, I'm old and the old thinky thing isn't what it used to be.
    Edit - this is probably what I was thinking of.http://www.pro-football-reference.co...8410150den.htm They were just fumble returns. I was probably confusing it with the blocked kick from the Youtube video. Sue me, it was almost 30 years ago.
    Last edited by spikerman; 01-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Here's my personal list of top 12 bronco plays that I posted here back in 2010 after going through some old videos. I'll say the Tebow to DT play should be around 5a on this list. Sure got this old fart off his feet! (I was in the north stands yesterday; on this list I saw #12, #9, #7, #6, and #2 in person)

#12 Craig Morton throws the clinching touchdown to Jack Dolbin on December 24, 1977 to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Broncos first playoff game ever:

#11: John Elway throws a touchdown pass to Ricky Nattiel on the Broncos first offensive play in Super Bowl 22:

#10 Gradishar's Long TD. Randy Gradishar intercepts a pass from Cleveland's Brian Sipe and runs 93 yards for a touchdown - the longest interception return for a td in Bronco history:

Louie Wright returns a field goal blocked by Dennis Smith to beat San Diego in Overtime in this 1985 game:

#8 Immaculate Deflection

#7 Champ picks off Brady

#6 Morton to Moses AFC Championship Game

#5 Elway to Jackson to end "The Drive"

#4 Elway to Rod Smith Super Bowl 33

#3 Jim Turner scores a TD

#2 Floyd Little makes a great catch after being "fired"

#1 The Helicopter and post game celebration, Super Bowl 32

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived titan For This Post:

All good plays.
    How about Elway the first QB to catch a pass in the superbowl (Sewel to Elway 23 yards against redskins).

Another memorable play was San Francisco lining up for a short field goal with 3 seconds left in the snowball game. Just as the holder sits down the ball a snowball lands next to it, SF misses the field goal and loses game.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Did you see what Louis Wright did after the TD?

Forget the Lambeau Leap being the first. Louie did it clear back in 1985!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I disagree on this one. Its the play of the season, and summed up 2011 beautifully. I think its an all-timer
    That was the game where I went from being completely opposed to Tebow as our starter to thinking "wow, this kid has something special, I hope he proves he can play QB for us for a very long time." I'll always remember that one.

11. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

My earliest clear Bronco memory is watching the Broncos upset the World Champion Jets. At the 3:38 mark of this 1969 hilight clip is a decisive TD catch by Mike Haffner that is superlative, in any era
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

My earliest clear Bronco memory is watching the Broncos upset the World Champion Jets. At the 3:38 mark of this 1969 hilight clip is a decisive TD catch by Mike Haffner that is superlative, in any era
    Oh, but do I remember that game! IIRC, the Broncos sacked Namath . . . what,
    six times? On one play, Dave Costa screamed up the middle and gave
    Namath a clocking that I'll bet Namath never forgot . . . in fact, now that
    I think of it, Dumervil's sacking of Brady takes me back to that event.

The Broncos intercepted Namath a few times, too, as I remember. I didn't
    have too many really joyful times with the Broncos in the '60s, but that
    game most definitely was one . . .

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Brandon Stokely

Brandon ******* Stokely...

Why man, why you gotta do me dirty like that? Posting that...******* Stokely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

I was at that game where we beat the Jets after their superbowl year. As I recall we picked off Namath 6 times, don't know how many sacks. I remember sitting in the North stands at old mile high and almost getting a football that sailed right at us on a point after. The guy in front of us jumped up and caught it, but I still remember that ball coming our way. I was probably 12 or so at the time.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Default Nattiel

It was Ricky Nattiel for the TD. Youngest player to score in a Super Bowl, at least at the time. I so thought they were going to win that game after that play. Doug Williams 2nd quarter was just unfair after that.
    All you have to decide is what to do with the time given to you...

21. The Following User High Fived Sinthor For This Post:

Default It's out there

In all fairness, they do show the Jets run on NFL Network a lot. I agree there are even several plays from this Sunday however that could well take its place. If any Tebow run I'd say his first against the Raiders last year.
    All you have to decide is what to do with the time given to you...

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

absoFRAKIN lutely ! TURNERS catch for a TD at the end of the half totally demoralized the raiders ! Its exemplified what I have always said about football and why I love it so much ! the opponent may be bigger, faster and stronger, but if you are SMARTER and play with HEART you can win !
    Let me add just for its historical importance, MARLIN BRISCOE his first completed pass was the first by a black man as a QB in pro football.
    ...and I am an old fart so FLOyD LITTLE inducted at CANTON is easily one of my top ten, and I will continue to hold a top ten spot open until TD gets his JUSTIFIED recognition !

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    absoFRAKIN lutely ! TURNERS catch for a TD at the end of the half totally demoralized the raiders ! Its exemplified what I have always said about football and why I love it so much ! the opponent may be bigger, faster and stronger, but if you are SMARTER and play with HEART you can win !
    Let me add just for its historical importance, MARLIN BRISCOE his first completed pass was the first by a black man as a QB in pro football.
    ...and I am an old fart so FLOyD LITTLE inducted at CANTON is easily one of my top ten, and I will continue to hold a top ten spot open until TD gets his JUSTIFIED recognition !
    Yes, TD, and I'm still burnt that Gradishar isn't there . . .

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    That's a great play, but the one I was thinking of happened against GB and I remember it was snowing. I'll see if I can find it. Of course, I'm old and the old thinky thing isn't what it used to be.
    Edit - this is probably what I was thinking of.http://www.pro-football-reference.co...8410150den.htm They were just fumble returns. I was probably confusing it with the blocked kick from the Youtube video. Sue me, it was almost 30 years ago.
    The Snow Bowl. One of the famous Albuquerque lows started dumping snow on Denver just a couple of hours before the Monday night game. By kickoff there was 6 to 12 inches of snow on the ground. Denver lost the toss and GB received the KO. First play from scrimmage GB fumbled the ball which was picked up and returned for a TD by the Orange Crush!

On the ensuing KO, Green Bay fumbled again which was returned by the Denver ST for another TD. In the first 60 seconds of the game GB was down 14-0.

Denver held on to win the game 17-14 and the Colorado ski areas posted record years because of the snow storm televised on MNF.

28. The Following 3 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information