Thread: Why are some players "inactive"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Why are some players "inactive"?

If you have a 53 person roster, why can't everyone be available to play?

The CBA allows you only to dress 45 players per week I think. Those extra guys are usually special teamers or other guys that are on the fringe of the roster. This is different from the practice squad players.

I am no expert but this is what I think the rule is.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Close. Teams can only do three things with an active player - keep them on the roster, waive them or put them on IR. The inactive list is meant as a place to put players who are too hurt to play but not hurt badly enough to place on IR and lose them for the season. Likely it was a CBA compromise between the roster size the owners wanted and the roster size the union wanted.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Close. Teams can only do three things with an active player - keep them on the roster, waive them or put them on IR. The inactive list is meant as a place to put players who are too hurt to play but not hurt badly enough to place on IR and lose them for the season. Likely it was a CBA compromise between the roster size the owners wanted and the roster size the union wanted.
    Thank you, I was kind of fishing around on that one. It was a guess but knew it was CBA related.

The CBA signed after the lockout now allows 46 active instead of 45 as the third qb rule no longer exists. Teams can now make the 3rd qb inactive and dress another position player.

BTW, I think the first year expansion Texans were allowed to dress more than the league mandated 45 players during their first few games.

7. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information