View Poll Results: Should people be able to have religious images and statements in their avatars/User Titles/Sig

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • No -- Religious images and statements should only be allowed in the new Opt In Sigs

19 51.35%
  • Yes -- Religious images and statements should be allowed in avatars/titles/sigs

18 48.65%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Important Town Hall Poll: Should Religious sigs/avvies be allowed -- the focus was on politics, so we need seperate feedback on religious only

Default Important Town Hall Poll: Should Religious sigs/avvies be allowed -- the focus was on politics, so we need seperate feedback on religious only

Ok, up to this point religious and political content has been linked in the discussions, however most people have been voicing their opinion (on whichever side they fell) about the political sigs.

So, we now have an ability for these 'secondary' sigs that people can choose to opt in to view, or choose not to view.

Should religious images and statements be limited to these "opt in" signatures, or should people still be allowed to have religious images and statements in their avatar, user title and standard signature?

Please vote and comment.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

No, they should only be allowed by opt-in.

Because what will happen is someone will post a what they deem to be a positive Av or sig only to have someone else take offense to it in some shape or form. Just leave it as a option if someone wants to view them at all.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Leave it opt-in, just like you have the political stuff. People can still express themselves in the appropriate threads, but not the entire football forum which is a great compromise you have brought to the situation.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I think anything that could be remotely offensive even to a deaf dumb and blind person should be eliminated as an option for avs or sigs. I have gotten several complaints from Han Solo and his friends that my avy is hurtful and should be changed. I myself am allergic to poodles as well as sweaters, and merely looking at TNED's avy makes me break out into hives. I don't know what we should do.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

You've already made your decision.

Just leave it now. See what happens.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    You've already made your decision.

Just leave it now. See what happens.

-----
    I don't just assume I know everything and am never wrong, therefore I see no problem in confirming that a decision is in lines with what the community at large wants.

I think the political/religious discussions were too dominated by the political issue, so therefore a poll/discussion just focused on the religious sigs/avvies, especially with people knowing that there is an 'opt in' route for these sigs, is appropriate.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I voted yes - but, will add with some restrictions. I see nothing wrong with someone noting the words only John 3:16 in their signature, with the option that someone may click on it to read the verse. Or noting a link to a religious website. Guess what I am trying to say is yes, but keep it very simple. In fact, I really can not remember where a religious avatar or signature has ever caused problems on here, or if they have, I do not remember the situation.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I disagree. Religion is offensive. Why should I have to read John 3 16? It's not fair. I am an optimist. I want to see positive things all the time that reinforce my life and my soul. That's why I want to outlaw STOP signs. They are everywhere! And it is not a positive sign. Not enabling. Instead of happy, encouraging "go" or "yes you can!" images and signs, we have to have these oppressive and scary red signs telling us to STOP!, no you can't! Do what the government tells you signs. I agree with what is going on here. Do not allow ANYTHING that could possibly offend someone, or discourage them from living their life free of encountering anything they do not agree with.

12. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I disagree. Religion is offensive. Why should I have to read John 3 16? It's not fair. I am an optimist. I want to see positive things all the time that reinforce my life and my soul. That's why I want to outlaw STOP signs. They are everywhere! And it is not a positive sign. Not enabling. Instead of happy, encouraging "go" or "yes you can!" images and signs, we have to have these oppressive and scary red signs telling us to STOP!, no you can't! Do what the government tells you signs. I agree with what is going on here. Do not allow ANYTHING that could possibly offend someone, or discourage them from living their life free of encountering anything they do not agree with.
    I did not mean for someone to post the Bible verse - just the words John 3:16, with a link, IN CASE someone wanted to read it, which I used as an example only.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Need more people providing comments and voting in the poll.

Thx

T

I though they fell under the same umbrella, but I voted opt-in on this as well.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I agree. Ban one (opt-in only) ban both.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Well they have been under the same umbrella in several of the discussions, but for many it seems a religious phrase isn't as 'controversial' as a political image or statement.

Anyway, that's what this one is to figure out. Should religious sigs also go the opt-in route, like political?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Well they have been under the same umbrella in several of the discussions, but for many it seems a religious phrase isn't as 'controversial' as a political image or statement.

Anyway, that's what this one is to figure out. Should religious sigs also go the opt-in route, like political?
    IMO, yes. Only because those that are upset about the Political rule will probably do stupid sigs/avatars with religious themes because they can't politically.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 02-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

P.S. Tned, many of us appreciate you giving us a voice in how you run this board. I personally couldn't do it - too much "dictator" in me I guess, but the time and effort you put into the community here is appreciated.

Those that want to express themselves, be it religious or political, can still do that. Those that choose not to, don't have to.

22. The Following 9 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information