Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memo to Mike McCoy/Tebow: The TE is actually an eligible receiver.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Default Memo to Mike McCoy/Tebow: The TE is actually an eligible receiver.

Yeah, I just looked it up at www.nflrules.com and it says you can throw the ball to your tight end. Somebody needs to get this info to Fox and McCoy stat.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Yeah, I just looked it up at www.nflrules.com and it says you can throw the ball to your tight end. Somebody needs to get this info to Fox and McCoy stat.
    Forward this message to McD too.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

going to show my Florida a little bit, but Tebow not throwing it to the TE either by design or by choice is very confusing to me. They used to eat teams alive throwing to the TE when he was at UF. TE releases gets behid the stacked box and is off to the races. Of course it was Aaron Hernendez, but still

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived catfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    going to show my Florida a little bit, but Tebow not throwing it to the TE either by design or by choice is very confusing to me. They used to eat teams alive throwing to the TE when he was at UF. TE releases gets behid the stacked box and is off to the races. Of course it was Aaron Hernendez, but still
    Fells caught 40 plus balls last year and looked pretty solid when Kyle was in there. I said it after Fox got hired but his teams have never used the TE effectively. I'm not certain that's all on Fox but he's never had a Pro Bowl TE and his TEs get very few targets.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I bet with GB Finley, NE Gronkowski, SD Antonio Gates, ect would have only 2 catches a season with this team just like Rosario/Fells.

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

We want Coby!

Tebow is afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field. It's pretty obvious. There need to be plays designed AND CALLED where his initial read is the TE running a skinny post or an inside route in the middle. We need to get him comfortable throwing inside.

That's what I simply don't understand... The playcalling just doesn't establish any sort of rhythm for this offense and for our struggling QB. Easy 5-7 yard throws to start the game then work in the tougher ones later, instead of the opposite.

Tebow is struggling mightily and McCoy is f'ing clueless half the time.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoStud For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    This is what is so frustrating to me. I know he can find a 6'6" guy running 10 yards downfield and throw him a pass. There are some throws that aren't in his arsenal - that once certainly is. But that guy is not running those routes. The joy of a stacked box is that it DOESN'T take 30 yard passes to beat it - you've got to throw it 8-15 yards, especially if the LBs bite on the run.

But our play-action is never to hit a quick pass, and certainly not one to a TE.

Just seems to cut the guts out of what a run-oriented team, especially one with a running QB, should be able to accomplish.

Without TEs or backs in the flat, we seem to abdicate something like 60% of the field for no reason I can fathom. Because no one has to worry about covering a back or a TE the defenders then clog the line and either run-blitz (which turns into a blitz-blitz when Tebow drops back) or all the LBs just clog Tim's running lanes and force him to run around uselessly behind the LOS looking in vain for a passing target.

We saw how Brady shredded us with essentially two pass-catching TEs and a short, quick receiver right? Maybe our guys aren't up to the task, but I'd like to see some plays designed to find out.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Wacky idea of the day. Eric Decker at TE, filling the fast pass catching role Scheff once did, sometimes split out or in the slot? Decker may actually be a better blocker than Scheffler anyways. I dunno. Maybe he would just get ignored.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Dave Logan says that a TE catching passes is ok if it's a back shoulder throw.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Wacky idea of the day. Eric Decker at TE, filling the fast pass catching role Scheff once did, sometimes split out or in the slot? Decker may actually be a better blocker than Scheffler anyways. I dunno. Maybe he would just get ignored.
    It won't help if the only passing plays we run are designed for 17+ yards at the point of reception.

Gotta run an 8 yard route before you can complete one. And I'd put DT at TE before Decker. DT on a LB should be a ridiculous mismatch of Shannon Sharpe proportions. He's probably bigger than Shannon and stronger than Scheffler, honestly, and he is at least as willing a blocker, and even if he runs sucky routes he's faster.

DT for TE. Willis, Royal and Decker as the wides, Fells for two TE sets.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

bring in fassell

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    This is what is so frustrating to me. I know he can find a 6'6" guy running 10 yards downfield and throw him a pass. There are some throws that aren't in his arsenal - that once certainly is. But that guy is not running those routes. The joy of a stacked box is that it DOESN'T take 30 yard passes to beat it - you've got to throw it 8-15 yards, especially if the LBs bite on the run.

But our play-action is never to hit a quick pass, and certainly not one to a TE.

Just seems to cut the guts out of what a run-oriented team, especially one with a running QB, should be able to accomplish.

Without TEs or backs in the flat, we seem to abdicate something like 60% of the field for no reason I can fathom. Because no one has to worry about covering a back or a TE the defenders then clog the line and either run-blitz (which turns into a blitz-blitz when Tebow drops back) or all the LBs just clog Tim's running lanes and force him to run around uselessly behind the LOS looking in vain for a passing target.

We saw how Brady shredded us with essentially two pass-catching TEs and a short, quick receiver right? Maybe our guys aren't up to the task, but I'd like to see some plays designed to find out.

~G
    it is very confusing to me why a QB with accuracy issues is being asked to throw more than 15 yards in the air a higher percentage of the time than any other QB in the NFL.

tebow is struggling with the 10-20 yard routes, but hitting pretty much everything else with consistency(relative to other qb's)

Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

i'm not sure why this is the coachs' fault. i mean, does anyone really believe that fox and mccoy are telling tebow "ok, only throw to the tight end if every other option is unavailable, and before you do that look to scramble."

granted, some gameplans call for more tight end involvement than others, but after the last three weeks i'm finding it harder and harder to blame the coaches for the broncos' horrible passing game. tebow appears to be more at fault than anything else.

and, for clarification, i would LOVE to see tebow grow into a pro-bowl-caliber THROWING QB. i enjoy the energy he brings (though, it wasn't there Sunday. at all). but it looks like defenses have figured out how to nullify his positive attributes while exposing his weaknesses.

i hope the trend changes sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Fells caught 40 plus balls last year and looked pretty solid when Kyle was in there. I said it after Fox got hired but his teams have never used the TE effectively. I'm not certain that's all on Fox but he's never had a Pro Bowl TE and his TEs get very few targets.
    I seem to recall a few catches in the Miami game where I was like holy cow that was amazing catch for that WR only to see it was the TE...I was pretty floored

Mark Twain

22. The Following User High Fived catfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information