Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WooHooo, my handicap is under 10 for the first time ever!!!!

Damn man. That's awesome. Under 10 is great. Especially considering like 90% of amateurs average 100+.

Do you know how they figure the handicaps? I play in this golf league at work and the guy that runs it does one. He adds up the best 3 rounds out of our last 5. Takes the average of that and subtracts 34.8 from it. Then multiplies it by 0.85. This is for 9 holes (hence the 34.8).

This summer he switched to the best 3 outta 5 and I'm a 5. Actually dropped to a 4 for 2 weeks as one point as I was playing great late July/early August. But I'd like to know how many rounds you're supposed to go back and how many you're supposed to take. Do you know Tned?

Quote Originally Posted by In-com-plete View Post
    Damn man. That's awesome. Under 10 is great. Especially considering like 90% of amateurs average 100+.

Do you know how they figure the handicaps? I play in this golf league at work and the guy that runs it does one. He adds up the best 3 rounds out of our last 5. Takes the average of that and subtracts 34.8 from it. Then multiplies it by 0.85. This is for 9 holes (hence the 34.8).

This summer he switched to the best 3 outta 5 and I'm a 5. Actually dropped to a 4 for 2 weeks as one point as I was playing great late July/early August. But I'd like to know how many rounds you're supposed to go back and how many you're supposed to take. Do you know Tned?
    I have the formula in a spreadsheet, since I enter my scores into it, in addition to posting them, so I know what is happening to my handicap between the monthly 'official" USGA/ASGA updates.

I will dig the actual formula, but as to the number. When you are first getting a handicap, it ramps up, so it is like 1 of first 3, 3 of first 5, and keeps going until you have 20 scores posted, and then from that point forward (even when you start a new golf season) it always takes the 10 best scores of your last 20 rounds (even if some of those 20 rounds were the previous years).

Then, there is a formula (I'll look up and post later), that takes into account the course rating and slope rating of the course.

Quote Originally Posted by In-com-plete View Post

Ok, the formula is:

((Score - Course Rating)*113)/Slope Rating

So, the round I played today I shot an 87. The course rating is 70.8 and the slope is 124.

I first subtract 87-70.8 = 16.2

Then, take the 16.2 x 113 (avg. slope rating) = 1830.6
    Then, take 1830.6 / 124 (slope ratings) = 14.76
    So, 14.76 is the 'differential' for that round.

Then, you use this chart to figure out which scores to use (applying that formula to each, and using the lowest differntial for each round).

Code:
    Number 	Differentials
    Rounds	To Be Used
    5 or 6	Lowest 1
    7 or 8	Lowest 2
    9 or 10	Lowest 3
    11 or 12	Lowest 4
    13 or 14	Lowest 5
    15 or 16	Lowest 6
    17	Lowest 7
    18	Lowest 8
    19	Lowest 9
    20	Lowest 10
    Finally, you average the lowest differentials (based on the chart above) and finally, you multiply that average by .96 (I have no idea why they do this part, but it is part of the formula).

The final thing to know, is that there is something called ESC (equitable stroke control, or something like that). Depending on your handicap (once established), there are maximum scores you can take for handicap purposes. Here is the ESC chart.

Code:
    EQUITABLE STROKE C0NTROL	

Course Handicap	Maximum Number
    	On Any Hole
    9 or less	Double Bogey*
    10 through 19	7
    20 through 29	8
    30 through 39	9
    40 or more	10
    So, if you handicap is 15, then the highest score you can turn in for handicap purposes is 7. So, you would still record a 9 on the card if you shot that on a hole, but before entering the handicap data, you would net down your score based on the maximums in that chart.

There you go.

celerbrating a new lease on life. And, loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I just had my newest handicap index (that's golf by the way) emailed to me and for the first time ever I have a handicap under 10!!!!

It's 9.9, so it is 'barely' under 10, but that has been one of my goals for a couple years.
    my handicap???

my golf swing.
    Last edited by saddletramp; 12-07-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    decisions have been made and change is a comin'.

Saddle is back!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1H1j2_Nlw

Quote Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
    my handicap???

my golf swing.
    If you are struggling, it might be that you are standing too close to the ball

After you hit it!!!!

If you are struggling, it might be that you are standing too close to the ball

After you hit it!!!!

dont you have a smilie to replace or something?
    Last edited by saddletramp; 12-07-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Saddle is back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post

dont you have a smilie to replace or something?
    I'm too busy working on my putting stroke...

I'm too busy working on my putting stroke...
    with a handicap like yours you need to work on something.

Saddle is back!!!

congrats tned. under 10 is a goal of mine too. it would be much more achievable if i could afford to get out more than a few times each season. i used to live near a cheap course and played much more, but haven't been able to the last couple of years.

it's too late to analyze the handicap equation, so i couldn't tell you mine, but i usually shoot right around 20 over par... if i could putt it'd help quite a bit lol.

keep playing, update this thread when you qualify for the tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    congrats tned. under 10 is a goal of mine too. it would be much more achievable if i could afford to get out more than a few times each season. i used to live near a cheap course and played much more, but haven't been able to the last couple of years.

it's too late to analyze the handicap equation, so i couldn't tell you mine, but i usually shoot right around 20 over par... if i could putt it'd help quite a bit lol.

keep playing, update this thread when you qualify for the tour
    I didn't play anywhere near as much as I would have liked last year. In the llast five month, just a few rounds. Hopefully, in 08 I'll get back to playing almost every weekend. Not sure where my handicap will be once I get back to plahhing again, but hopefully I'll be able to keep it around 10.

Putting, chipping and pitching are really the keys to scoring well. All thinga that I am still fairly weak at (especially chipping/pitching).

Hopefully, we both get to play more in '08

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I just had my newest handicap index (that's golf by the way) emailed to me and for the first time ever I have a handicap under 10!!!!

It's 9.9, so it is 'barely' under 10, but that has been one of my goals for a couple years.
    Jerk.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Putting, chipping and pitching are really the keys to scoring well. All thinga that I am still fairly weak at (especially chipping/pitching).

Hopefully, we both get to play more in '08
    i'm good with my irons, inconsistent with my woods, and terrible with my putter lol. my short game is good, which makes my putting even more frustrating. i can get the ball on the green with good chances at birdies and par, and end up three putting and walking away mad.

if i could cut out the tee-box slices (trying to kill it) and the three-putts it'd help my score immensely.

shouldn't of come in this thread, now i can't wait for all this snow to melt so that i can hit the links! my parents live in copper mountain and get free round coupons for collecting balls on the driving range. it's pretty sweet.
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    i'm good with my irons, inconsistent with my woods, and terrible with my putter lol. my short game is good, which makes my putting even more frustrating. i can get the ball on the green with good chances at birdies and par, and end up three putting and walking away mad.

if i could cut out the tee-box slices (trying to kill it) and the three-putts it'd help my score immensely.

shouldn't of come in this thread, now i can't wait for all this snow to melt so that i can hit the links! my parents live in copper mountain and get free round coupons for collecting balls on the driving range. it's pretty sweet.
    For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting. I also had major problems with three putting, sometimes 4 or even 5 times in a round, but also two putting holes I should have one putted.

Over the last year or two, my putting is much better (especially elimination of three putts), but I still struggle with the chip/pitch game.

If I could get up and down 50-60% of the time (now, it's more like 1 or 2 out of 10 tries), which still isn't considered great, I would be sub 5 handicap, but I just have never had the patience to practice chipping, and it is something that never came naturally to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Yet to break 20 on my handicap ...

For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting.
    I'm pretty consistant to the green because i'm pretty accurate. It just takes me more strokes than it should because i don't strike the ball with alot of power.

I play my best when i'm within 100 yards of the green or on it ... it's just getting to that point that really hurts my game.

Other than the putter, my 5 wood, 2 iron and 7 iron are pretty much my bag lol ...

For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting. I also had major problems with three putting, sometimes 4 or even 5 times in a round, but also two putting holes I should have one putted.

Over the last year or two, my putting is much better (especially elimination of three putts), but I still struggle with the chip/pitch game.

If I could get up and down 50-60% of the time (now, it's more like 1 or 2 out of 10 tries), which still isn't considered great, I would be sub 5 handicap, but I just have never had the patience to practice chipping, and it is something that never came naturally to me.
    that sounds a lot like me. it's actually rare that i sink a putt, even though i often set myself up to where i should be able to. i would say that i 3 put around 6-7 times in an average round, with occasional good days, and days when i do even worse and fight the urge to throw my clubs in the lake.

i improved my driving by a great deal this last season (even though i only made it out a few times) by almost eliminating my slice (it'll still surprise me from time to time, esp when i'm getting frustrated with my putting lol).

guess i just gotta spend more time doing it, i'm like you i guess, just too lazy to practice putting. i'd rather just go out on the course and play a round, bad putts and all. i think next season is about time for me to work on my game a little more seriously. can't wait!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information