View Poll Results: Should Political and/or Religious sigs and avatars be allowed?

Voters
78. This poll is closed
  • No Political Sigs or Avatars should be allowed

3 3.85%
  • No Religious Sigs or Avatars should be allowed

0 0%
  • No Political or Religious Sigs or Avatars should be allowed

19 24.36%
  • Only Positive Political Sigs or Avatars should be allowed

5 6.41%
  • Only Positive Religious sigs or Avatars should be allowed

0 0%
  • Only Positive Religious and Political Sigs or Avatars should be allowed

21 26.92%
  • Any Political Sig or Avatars should be allowed

3 3.85%
  • Any Religious Sig or Avatars should be allowed

0 0%
  • Any Political or Religious Sig or Avatars should be allowed

27 34.62%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Should political or religious sigs and avatars be allowed?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Tned-Mobile View Post
    I don't 'quake' in fear. Unlike many of those sites you listed, I do my best to reach compromises. Such as the Lounge.

Please don't confuse 'fear' with attempting to accommodate as many varying viewpoints as possible. I could 'impose' my will on the board, like so many of the examples you gave, but instead I put my personal opinion aside and focus on trying to achieve solutions that accommodate as many members as possible.

I'm surprised you see that as a bad thing.
    Its only a bad thing because even with your compromise someone will try to get around it. This is where im glad im not a mod anymore as this is just more work than is really needed. And i think that is what Top is getting at. You've gone out on a limb to accomadate those who already have a dedicated forum for them to talk about their views. Whats the old saying? Give them an inch they will take a mile? But, its your board and your new mods will have to deal with it now. Good luck.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its only a bad thing because even with your compromise someone will try to get around it. This is where im glad im not a mod anymore as this is just more work than is really needed. And i think that is what Top is getting at. You've gone out on a limb to accomadate those who already have a dedicated forum for them to talk about their views. Whats the old saying? Give them an inch they will take a mile? But, its your board and your new mods will have to deal with it now. Good luck.
    Actually, I think it will make modding much more straight forward, as Blue alluded to. Now, any political or religious statement in a normal sig, avatar or user title can simply be removed. No need to determine "is it positive", which would often wind up being very long discussions among the mods, which would still get met with "they only decided that because ______", fill in the blank with "their political offilication", "they don't like me", "some of them are former freaks", "some of them are former maniacs", etc.

In addition, that compromise, that should have been reasonable, but was being portrayed as political persecution and catering to 'thin skinned' people, didn't really address those people that chose to opt out of politics or religion.

The fact is that was a compromise HEAVILY weighted against those that chose to opt out of the politics/religion forums, which means it should have been seen as a very fair compromise to those that wanted their political sigs.

However, as with much of the P&R discussion itself, many people aren't willing to compromise on a middle ground, but must fight tooth and nail to force 'their' position on you.

So, this is now a much fairer approach for those that are opted out, and as I said earlier, those that want to inflame each other with P&R sigs can do so, but they must do it via a "P&R Sig Opt In" route.
    Posting from a mobile phone. Short replies and typos are likely.

4. The Following User High Fived Tned-Mobile For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Actually, I think it will make modding much more straight forward, as Blue alluded to. Now, any political or religious statement in a normal sig, avatar or user title can simply be removed. No need to determine "is it positive", which would often wind up being very long discussions among the mods, which would still get met with "they only decided that because ______", fill in the blank with "their political offilication", "they don't like me", "some of them are former freaks", "some of them are former maniacs", etc.

In addition, that compromise, that should have been reasonable, but was being portrayed as political persecution and catering to 'thin skinned' people, didn't really address those people that chose to opt out of politics or religion.

The fact is that was a compromise HEAVILY weighted against those that chose to opt out of the politics/religion forums, which means it should have been seen as a very fair compromise to those that wanted their political sigs.

However, as with much of the P&R discussion itself, many people aren't willing to compromise on a middle ground, but must fight tooth and nail to force 'their' position on you.

So, this is now a much fairer approach for those that are opted out, and as I said earlier, those that want to inflame each other with P&R sigs can do so, but they must do it via a "P&R Sig Opt In" route.

So, when that gets installed do have to check something in order to turn them off so i dont see them or is it up to the "individual" to turn it on if they want to see them? I still dont understand how your going to manage to only turn off certain avs and sigs. How does the program determine what is political/religious?

6. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Just ban them all. Problem solved.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

So, when that gets installed do have to check something in order to turn them off so i dont see them or is it up to the "individual" to turn it on if they want to see them? I still dont understand how your going to manage to only turn off certain avs and sigs. How does the program determine what is political/religious?
    1. Everyone will be 'required' to remove all references to politics or religion from their sigs, avatars and customer user titles.
    2. Anyone that wishes to have a P&R signature, will be able to create one via new user profile fields
    3. By default, everyone will be OPTED OUT of viewing the P&R signatures.
    4. To view P&R signatures (created through the profile fields), a user would need to change their theme to one of the P&R themes -- the same way they can choose the "worker friendly" theme.

That is it in rough terms, I will provide a more thorough explanation once I actually set it up. At this point, this is something I am 99% sure I can get to work, which is why I have posted it.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned-Mobile For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Default Well . . .

I don't see why you feel the need to placate thinned-skinned people.

But, as I implied, I generally trust the judgment of those who have spoken out for it.

So be it. <-------- *just for you, Claymore*

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

The way I understood it is that unless any given poster makes a change in "User CP", they'll get the "default" view of the Forums... with no political or religious sigs. In order to display or view a religious or political sig, you'd have to change from the "default" to a different setting, so those who don't want to see them... or don't care enough to turn them on... don't have to see them.

13. The Following User High Fived Midnight Blue For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I don't see why you feel the need to placate thinned-skinned people.

But, as I implied, I generally trust the judgment of those who have spoken out for it.

So be it. <-------- *just for you, Claymore*

-----
    Actually, I think you could easily argue it is the 'other' group that is being placated. Hence the reason no compromise could be reached. Neither side is able to see it from the other's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The way I understood it is that unless any given poster makes a change in "User CP", they'll get the "default" view of the Forums... with no political or religious sigs. In order to display or view a religious or political sig, you'd have to change from the "default" to a different setting, so those who don't want to see them... or don't care enough to turn them on... don't have to see them.
    That's very 'close' to accurate. In concept you are correct, but the one difference is that to 'view' the sigs, rather than making the change in "User CP", they would simply change their style at the bottom left of any page (where we currently have "Default Style" and "Worker Friendly") and choose a P&R Sig style.

What they would do in the User CP is setup their OWN P&R sig if they want one.

Not quite.

Once it is in effect. There will be NO political or religious images or statements allowed in avatars, user titles or signatures.

However, I will provide special fields (in the same place you edit your adopted Bronco, locations, etc.) where you can create a Political/Religious sig.

Then, that special P&R sig will not have a positive/negative limitation, with the following caveat. I have not made a decision yet on the 'highly' inflammatory negative images. I am inclined to make it anything goes, but I am not ready to make that decision yet.

I have been mostly focused on the 'how' it can be done, as it is not something vBulletin was designed to do.
    Tned, I guess I just have one question: Maybe I missed the answer and if so, just chalk it up to old age.

If you're going to allow any type of political/religious sigs and avvys in the respective forums how are you going to handle the fights that arise? What I'm trying to say is that some people will push this to ridiculous levels and there are bound to be arguments.

If you're just going to continue threatening to close the forums due to problem you'd might as well do it now. If you think there won't be big problems created by this policy you're not near as sharp as I think you are.
    "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused!" Unknown

Not quite.

Once it is in effect. There will be NO political or religious images or statements allowed in avatars, user titles or signatures.
    How about patriotic ones? I think you're getting into a situation that's unwinnable.
    "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused!" Unknown

Is there any question of Tned's dedication to this forum?

If he wasn't married, I'd sign him up for Spanish lessons (), get him some quality pool time with drinks included, and buy his dinner.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

If he wasn't married, I'd sign him up for Spanish lessons (), get him some quality pool time with drinks included, and buy his dinner.
    Why don't you do that anyway?
    I have to agree....Tned seems to me you're going through alot of time,effort,trouble and headache for all this...

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Hmm, you are making me consider divorce. I like drinks, and have seen pics of the 'tutors'

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by deacon View Post
    How about patriotic ones? I think you're getting into a situation that's unwinnable.
    I don't think that a picture of an American Flag or a Capitol Building would count - they're inanimate objects, not sided. Unless, of course, there is a message (typed or otherwise) that accompanies it.

JMO.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

What about dead bodies of tyrants? Has that been covered?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information