Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rules: Final Opportunity for comment before going into effect on Feb 21st

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

To many rules. Just like America, we arent happy until we take the fun out of everything. No way I can follow all that stuff.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    To many rules. Just like America, we arent happy until we take the fun out of everything. No way I can follow all that stuff.
    Well, it's about 50% less then the current rules.

In the end, most people don't have to memorize the rules, they just have to treat each other with respect and discuss things in a civil manner.

Where rules come into play is for the small number of people that continously want to flame others, and for those people most message boards have to have a set of rules to 'justify' dealing with the trouble makers.

It's a shame, because in an ideal world the rules could be:

1. Treat all other posters with respect.
    2. Keep it fun for all.

However, we don't live in the ideal world, we live in the real one where a small group of posters feel that attacking, belittling, flaming, etc. are ok, and if a mod calls them on it with the two rules above, they would say, "there is no rule that says I can't say.....".

In the ideal world a person would know that morphing a picture of President Bush with Adolf Hitler and using that as an avatar is wrong. It is both disrespectful to the Office of the Presidency of this country, and shows a complete lack of respect for the 6 million murdered in the holocaust, and the tens of millions (many civilians) that died in WWII. Same with someone that puts up an image of President Obama morphed into Adolf Hitler.

The list of common sense courtesies that we see violated every day is long -- much, much longer than the list of rules.

Trust me, I would much rather have a "You know what's right, so do what's right" one liner as the 'rules' of the message board, but history has shown that it doesn't work.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

I agree.

Let's get a Bill of Rights in here. What can we do?

(joking, just playing the hypothetical "Anti-Federalist")
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    Bronco Mania, here we come....

Even your own poll failed to produce a majority against the political avys and sigs.

Why have comments if the rules are already decided?
    I think Tned made the thread so we could comment, ask questions or make suggestions... something that you would never see on Mania.

i think he uses the polls more as a "feeler", not to make an ultimate decision.

I can live with this.

Thanks for taking the time Tned.

7. The Following 9 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Well, it's about 50% less then the current rules.

In the end, most people don't have to memorize the rules, they just have to treat each other with respect and discuss things in a civil manner.

Where rules come into play is for the small number of people that continously want to flame others, and for those people most message boards have to have a set of rules to 'justify' dealing with the trouble makers.

It's a shame, because in an ideal world the rules could be:

1. Treat all other posters with respect.
    2. Keep it fun for all.

However, we don't live in the ideal world, we live in the real one where a small group of posters feel that attacking, belittling, flaming, etc. are ok, and if a mod calls them on it with the two rules above, they would say, "there is no rule that says I can't say.....".

In the ideal world a person would know that morphing a picture of President Bush with Adolf Hitler and using that as an avatar is wrong. It is both disrespectful to the Office of the Presidency of this country, and shows a complete lack of respect for the 6 million murdered in the holocaust, and the tens of millions (many civilians) that died in WWII. Same with someone that puts up an image of President Obama morphed into Adolf Hitler.

The list of common sense courtesies that we see violated every day is long -- much, much longer than the list of rules.

Trust me, I would much rather have a "You know what's right, so do what's right" one liner as the 'rules' of the message board, but history has shown that it doesn't work.
    So I can call Slick a stinky mexican mooslim, as long as I remind him I love him anywho?

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

So I can call Slick a stinky mexican mooslim, as long as I remind him I love him anywho?
    I hope Tned says yes.

11. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Not sure I understand the question, but these rules are meant to simplify the 'current' rules. The are shorter and more to the point.

As I think you know (maybe you don't, not sure) the mods do the best they can to figure out what is joking among friends and what are actual attacks, since just based on words they can often be hard to distinguish. They try to only address the actual attacks/flaming/baiting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I (obviously) do not agree with the sig/avatar thingy. Deciding what our sigs/avys can or cannot be is pretty lame.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

It just occurred to me... the sig I put up recently has the word "shit" in it.... is that gonna get me in trouble? (if it's a violation, of course, I'll change it)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It just occurred to me... the sig I put up recently has the word "shit" in it.... is that gonna get me in trouble? (if it's a violation, of course, I'll change it)
    Shit isn't a filtered word, so I would think you would be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    i think he uses the polls more as a "feeler", not to make an ultimate decision.
    I know the purpose of the poll. My point is that the "feel" of those who responded to the poll was that there shouldn't be a ban on political sigs and avys.

In a community where we are wanting to do what the majority want, this ban is contrary to that philosophy.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    I know the purpose of the poll. My point is that the "feel" of those who responded to the poll was that there shouldn't be a ban on political sigs and avys.

In a community where we are wanting to do what the majority want, this ban is contrary to that philosophy.
    Actually, two minor points of correction.

First, while it was a small sampling, it was an overwhelming majority that wanted either no political sigs or only positive ones.

Second, I have said from the beginning that one of the reasons we don't make decisions based soley on polls is because simply having a majority want or not want something is not a solid basis for making a decision. You also have to weigh the impact of the two options.

As an example, taking using the f-bomb freely and unfiltered. If we were to do a poll and 53% said we should allow f-bombs and 47% said not to allow them, then without a doubt it would be a mistake to allow F-bombs. The reason is that a large portion of the 47% would be highly offended by the f-bombs and possibly even leave over allowing them. On the other hand the 53% for having them might be irritated by 'rules', but they are used to not using them at work, in church, or in a doctor's office or wherever.

That's why I listen to the feedback and the 'cases' people make for an against a change, much more than the absolute numbers and whether a simple majority wants something.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

Shit isn't a filtered word, so I would think you would be safe.
    OK, good. I wanna stay on the good side of the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    OK, good. I wanna stay on the good side of the mods.
    Shits ok, but that chic in your avvy might be showing a bit too much leg for the general forums

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

Shits ok, but that chic in your avvy might be showing a bit too much leg for the general forums
    Could be... but then, it's getting about time for a new avy anyway...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information