Thread: David Stern eyes flopping flap

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default David Stern eyes flopping flap

It's award season in the NBA but commissioner David Stern is concerned his league may be veering too close to handing out Oscars.

During Sunday's Eastern Conference semifinal opener between the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers, Stern was asked what he thought about comments made by Pacers coach Frank Vogel in regards to what Vogel considered the Heat's tendency to flop.

"(Vogel) didn't have a beef; he was just manipulating the refereeing or trying to," Stern said. "I would have fined him much more than our office did."

While Stern chastised Vogel for on Thursday calling the Heat "the biggest flopping team in the NBA," he did intimate that he sees merit in the sentiment.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012...timate-concern

AND

Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3416579

This article was written May 29, 2008 - about 4 years ago. I know there are some who feel that Goodell goes too far as commissioner of the NFL, but I would prefer that over Stern - who, IMO, does lip service only. Whenever an NBA coach openly complains about flopping, he is the one who gets fined, and the flopping continues.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont agree with fining players for flopping. Thats just retarded. But it should be a judgement call on the officials and if im Stern i tell them to make sure that if they feel it is an acting job that they let the play continue instead of awarding the flopper a call.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

A fine isn't going to solve the problem. If a flop in a big moment will get a team a call that helps them win an important game, I think most players wouldn't mind giving up a little cash for that.

The only way to stop it is to give a tech to a player who is obviously flopping. That will end flopping very quickly.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    A fine isn't going to solve the problem. If a flop in a big moment will get a team a call that helps them win an important game, I think most players wouldn't mind giving up a little cash for that.

The only way to stop it is to give a tech to a player who is obviously flopping. That will end flopping very quickly.
    I agree with what you are saying, but it is such a fast game, it would be very hard to give a tech for obvious flopping, at the particular moment it happens. Maybe they need to put in place the same thing they do when players receive a tech - after so many, they sit out a game - say 1 game. Then for each time they do it, immediately make them sit out a game. All they need to do is review game film, notify the player that they have received a tech, or whatever they want to call it for their flopping in a particular game.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

David Stern is a flopping douche.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Gallo should have been fined and suspended for his Flop on gasol.

It's a joke what the game has come down too.

Flopping is part of the game, and has ALWAYS been a part of the game. The refs need to make that judgement call, just like pass interference or calling a 'strike.' Fining them is stupid. Calling a tech on a flop doesn't make sense. If the ref doesn't think its a true foul, ignore it and move one. Just because guys are getting caught on camera for doing something that has been part of the game for generations, doesn't mean we just ignore the fact that flopping is no different than any other sport trying to get a foul called.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Flopping is part of the game, and has ALWAYS been a part of the game. The refs need to make that judgement call, just like pass interference or calling a 'strike.' Fining them is stupid. Calling a tech on a flop doesn't make sense. If the ref doesn't think its a true foul, ignore it and move one. Just because guys are getting caught on camera for doing something that has been part of the game for generations, doesn't mean we just ignore the fact that flopping is no different than any other sport trying to get a foul called.
    That sums it up nicely.

13. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

david stern is one of the biggest peices of shit in all of sports !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

15. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Can't stop laughing at that!!! Why does it not surprise me that it is Ginobli. Guy flops better than anyone.

19. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I can't stand GinobiFlop.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

21. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Can't stop laughing at that!!! Why does it not surprise me that it is Ginobli. Guy flops better than anyone.
    I would give Chris Paul a close second

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information