Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Regarding Franchise QB's

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Brady had solid numbers during that period. They don't have to be on record setting pace every year.

I don't think it's a very good comparison of Bradshaw's early years and Elway's.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Solid is one thing, elite is another. That's my point, he was not elite. He actually was really overrated as far as what he did on the field. He was a great story and a media darling.

I think it's a great comparison. You have one guy doing most of the heavy lifting with an above average cast around him. You have another guy with a HoF starting offensive line, two HoF WR's, a HoF RB and still was an awful passer.

But, judging them by winning, Bradshaw whips Elway.

Ergo judging a QB by winning is the laziest thinking ever. Judging someone by stats alone is not much better, but it's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Solid is one thing, elite is another. That's my point, he was not elite. He actually was really overrated as far as what he did on the field. He was a great story and a media darling.

I think it's a great comparison. You have one guy doing most of the heavy lifting with an above average cast around him. You have another guy with a HoF starting offensive line, two HoF WR's, a HoF RB and still was an awful passer.

But, judging them by winning, Bradshaw whips Elway.

Ergo judging a QB by winning is the laziest thinking ever. Judging someone by stats alone is not much better, but it's better.
    Well we'll just have to disagree. When you can lead a team to championships that's one of the mark of an elite quarterback. You can't judge what elite is purely by either stats or championships. Using stats alone is just as lazy as using just wins or championships.

Apparently you're not up on when the core of the Steelers dynasty of the '70s was built. The core of that team wasn't drafted until 1974. Anyway the bottom line for me is that's not good comparison because were talking about two different eras.

4. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Stats are at least factual. I can tell you throughout the course of a career judging a guy by his stats is far more accurate than by wins or losses.

Go take a look at Bradshaw's numbers in his era. Compare them to the other greats in his time and it's not close and he had way more talent than most quarterbacks ever.

He had a far easier job than most other quarterbacks ever. That's subjective, but hey, it's not quite as subjective as throwing around the 'intangible' and 'winner' card that so many love to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I hate to look in the past of our team, especially as rocky as it's been in the past 5 years. But could anyone imagine what our team would be like had Shanny not been fired and we had our offense the way it was? All we had to do was draft defense right?

I could safely say we'd be the AFC version of the Saints. An explosive offense, with a solid defense (had we drafted some serious talent in the front 7).

It's all in the past now, but it's fun to think about. The only thing that bugs me about the NFL is, everyone is so "old fashioned" to think you NEED a pocket passer to win in this league. You can be just as successful if you have a QB like Vick. Remember when the Falcons played the Eagles in the NFC Championship? Only problem was, the Falcons lacked that extra explosive player. HoF Qb's need talented players around them to succeed.. they can't do it all. Let's see Elway without Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, and Eddy Mac. You're only as good as the players you surround your self with.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information