Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Bad Is the AFC West, Really?

Default How Bad Is the AFC West, Really?

I mean, OK, the Faders are living up to their name, the Bolts will probably dismantle their team starting with the GM and working down and the Chiefs started 0-4, just fired their coach and started Orton. And, of course, many people consider our 8 wins a literal act of God. Yet... the LAST place AFC West team is 6-8 and just gave the defending SB Champs their first loss in 364 days.

Every other Division cellar dweller would kill for records that good (Shannys 'Skins are closest, but needed an upset against the Giants yesterday to reach 5 wins.) 10 other teams have worse records (and an eleventh, Philly, has an equal record; the NFC East has a similar level of parity every year, and playing each other 6 times means they're always better than their records.) The rest of the Division has records as good as or better than 16 other teams (i.e. is by definition no worse than average.) The Bolts are third place in the West, but would be tied for second in three other Divisions (admittedly, one of those is the always awful NFC West and the other is the NFC East.)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

This years scheduling pit the AFC West against itself, the NFC North, AFC East and a team each from the AFC North and South. That's 3 of the 4 teams in the last Conference Championships, plus the Pats and Lions. In addition, we played Cincy, Chokeland played Houston, SD played Baltimore and KC played GB. The AFC West team won all but one of those games.

Compare that to:

NFC West vs. NFC East (Dallas and the Giants) and AFC North (Pitt, Baltimore and Cincy.)

NFC North vs. NFC South (NO and Atlanta) and AFC West (us.)

NFC South vs. NFC North (GB, Chicago and Detroit) and AFC South (Houston.)

NFC East vs. NFC West (SF) and AFC East (NE and the Jets)

AFC North vs. AFC South (Houston) and NFC West (SF.)

AFC South vs. AFC North (Baltimore, Pitt and Cincy) and NFC South (NO and Atlanta.)

The AFC South and NFC West actually had a fairly tough schedule (I might have to take SF seriously) but otherwise every Division had an easier time than the AFC West. You have to ask yourself if the NFC (and AFC) North is really that good, or simply benefits from the fact its only hard games are against itself.

Regardless, and however our own season ends, it seems like the AFC West may not be great, but isn't too bad either. Note that that's not really good news for Denver; we have to play six games against those teams next year, half of them on the road, and compete with all of them for the Division title.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

2. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Its actually pretty bad. Im not going to take too much from the SD or KC victories. It was a weird day all around yesterday. I think out of all the AFCW teams 3 of them are improving while SD is regressing. But if they dont make the playoffs i think SD will be getting a new HC as well. If KC stays with Crennel it may or may not help them but with some former NE staff already there it could be a positive for them. Denver, obviously are getting better but the more and more the season goes on the less i think QB is an issue and hope that we build and fix some of the other more glaring problems on the team. Oakland as usual has some talent but i just think they will always be cursed by Al Davis so that goes without saying.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its actually pretty bad. Im not going to take too much from the SD or KC victories. It was a weird day all around yesterday. I think out of all the AFCW teams 3 of them are improving while SD is regressing. But if they dont make the playoffs i think SD will be getting a new HC as well. If KC stays with Crennel it may or may not help them but with some former NE staff already there it could be a positive for them. Denver, obviously are getting better but the more and more the season goes on the less i think QB is an issue and hope that we build and fix some of the other more glaring problems on the team. Oakland as usual has some talent but i just think they will always be cursed by Al Davis so that goes without saying.
    I wouldn't take too much from SD and KCs two wins alone, no. The Packers were set to play Todd Haleys Chiefs with Palko under center but instead faced Romeo Crennels Chiefs with Orton; not much game tape available on that team. The Ravens simply continued their season long trend of underestimating vastly inferior teams; how a team that beat Houston, Cincy and Pitt (twice) loses to teams like Tennessee and SD I don't know.

I'm not saying the AFC West is a great Division, just not a bad one either; with a combined record of 28-28, we're beating SOMEBODY. Before they beat the Ravens, SD came within a TD of handing GB its first loss in week 8. The Texans lost to Oakland. The Jets lost to them AND us. The Bears are 1-3 against the Division (though admittedly we picked a GREAT time to play them.) Heck, the Chiefs even came within 4 points of beating Pitt. I do agree with most of your trend assessments though; the disagreement would seem to be over how MUCH improvement each team needs.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

6. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I think the AFC West is exactly what its record says it is. .500. Middle of the pack. The strong divisions are AFC Central, NFC North. AFC South is a little crappy, and NFC East a little below par, and everyone else is about the same as the AFC West. We are what our records say we are in the end.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

KC, the AFC West's last place team, have defeated Chicago, Green Bay, and lost to Pittsburgh by 4 points. This was during their last 4 games.

SD just thrashed the Ravens, who were 10-3.

Actually, the AFC West is very competitive. Injuries have made some teams inconsistent. And in Denver's case, they had to overcome the 1-4 hole that Orton left them.
    Last edited by Agent of Orange; 12-19-2011 at 05:04 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Agent of Orange For This Post:

Regardless, and however our own season ends, it seems like the AFC West may not be great, but isn't too bad either.
    I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. You don't measure by the worst team in the division but the BEST! There's not ONE strong team in this division. Every other division in football has at least 1 good team and many like the NFC and AFC North have 2 or 3. Then there's divisions like the NFC East which top to bottom has teams that could get hot and go on a tear in the playoffs.

The worst team in the AFC West has a better record than other divisions because they play the other crappy teams in this division!

As for the Chiefs win over the Packers it's utterly meaningless. Remember the 1999 Giants beating the 13-0 Broncos? The Giants still sucked that year and the Broncos crushed their playoff opponents and won the SB by a wide margin.

In short that Giants victory proved absolutely NOTHING about either the Giants or the Broncos. The Chiefs beat a Packers team that finally got bored enough playing stiffs that they failed to get up for the game and lost. Big deal.

Winning this division is like being the top dog-turd on the pile. You might be on top, but it's still a pile of turds. This has happened before in recent years. Remember the Chiefs last year? They managed to win the division at 10-6 but everybody knew they really were FRAUDS who only got into the playoffs due to being in a crappy division.

And of course they were crushed by the Ravens 30-7 in their home playoff game. A fate that probably awaits the Broncos this year.
    Last edited by Cugel; 12-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. You don't measure by the worst team in the division but the BEST! There's not ONE strong team in this division. Every other division in football has at least 1 good team and many like the NFC and AFC North have 2 or 3. Then there's divisions like the NFC East which top to bottom has teams that could get hot and go on a tear in the playoffs.
    Thats just silly. The 1972 Dolphins played one of the weakest schedules in NFL History, in large part because three other teams in that division were basically non-competitive stiffs, while the second place Jets were 7-7. Makes it easier to get to 14-0 when you get a bunch of near automatic wins out of the gate. The 1972 AFC East should not be judged a "Strong" division at all just because the winner was amongst the greatest teams in history; it was a bunch of weakilings with one superb team in it, and the overall record of 33-36-1 reflects that accurately.

You measure a division's strength by its aggregate record. Everything else is eyewash.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

You know the NFL is an up and down league. One year a division is strong the next they are horrible. The AFC west has been consistently average but any given year the West can have solid SB candidate. You can't put a finger on it and that's what makes the NFL so good.

I see a lot of the English Premiere (soccer) and that league only has like 4 teams that can actually win the rest play catch up all year. And when you look at La Liga (Spain's soccer) they only have 2.

So I like the fact that every division, every team can dominate any given year.
    Back 2 Back Patches on my jacket/ Orange Zippers
    Super Bowl 50 witness

2019 Broncos Pick’em Champion
    2021 Broncos Pick’em Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I think the AFC West is exactly what its record says it is. .500. Middle of the pack. The strong divisions are AFC Central, NFC North. AFC South is a little crappy, and NFC East a little below par, and everyone else is about the same as the AFC West. We are what our records say we are in the end.
    Yeah, I buy that on the AFC West; there are no really great teams, but even the Chiefs aren't pushovers. There's no one like the Packers or Texans, but also no one like the Vikings or Colts.

I'm still not sure how strong the NFC and AFC North are though (AFC Central? Can Moon lead my Oilers to yet another one and done playoff appearance, and will the Bills stay out of the way this time? ) They've got more good teams than most, but the non-Division schedule for both is pretty weak; again, the only really good team for the NFC North is NO, and the AFC North only has slightly more competition with Houston and SF. I also think the NFC East is stronger than its record looks (after all, the "bad" team is only 5-9, much like in the AFC West) but I always think that; any place but the NFC East playing the Giants, Cowboys, Eagles and/or Redskins twice would be considered a tough schedule most years, but for them it's normal every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

The worst team in the AFC West has a better record than other divisions because they play the other crappy teams in this division!

As for the Chiefs win over the Packers it's utterly meaningless. Remember the 1999 Giants beating the 13-0 Broncos? The Giants still sucked that year and the Broncos crushed their playoff opponents and won the SB by a wide margin.

In short that Giants victory proved absolutely NOTHING about either the Giants or the Broncos. The Chiefs beat a Packers team that finally got bored enough playing stiffs that they failed to get up for the game and lost. Big deal.

Winning this division is like being the top dog-turd on the pile. You might be on top, but it's still a pile of turds. This has happened before in recent years. Remember the Chiefs last year? They managed to win the division at 10-6 but everybody knew they really were FRAUDS who only got into the playoffs due to being in a crappy division.

And of course they were crushed by the Ravens 30-7 in their home playoff game. A fate that probably awaits the Broncos this year.
    As Dreadnought notes, you measure the Division by the Division, not by the strongest team in it. That's why I don't take the '9ers teams from the '80s as seriously: Yes, they still had to win Super Bowls, and win playoff games to get there, but they were virtually GUARANTEED an annual playoff berth because they had one less team in their Division than everyone but the AFC Central, and ALL of them ALWAYS sucked except, occasionally, the Rams. The sad thing is, that has largely remained true ever since, hence last years NFC West "Champion" was 7-9.

Much of the same applies to the '80s Bears, which really puts both teams in perspective: Chicago won their Division 6/7 years, but anyone who remembers what the Vikings, Lions and Packers were like in the '80s knows that wasn't a huge accomplishment. In the playoffs they were one and done twice, twice more won a game then lost the NFC Championship to SF, and only once won the Super Bowl (though that teams 15-1 record indicates they were the Leagues best team.) Meanwhile, the Cowboys, Giants and 'Skins slugged it out for the chance to stop them, and succeeded 50% of the time. Did Montanas '9ers or Ditkas Bears make their Divisions great? Based on how often the NFC East sent three teams to the playoffs, I would say, "no."

Stuff like this is why people serious about comparing teams use power rankings, and people like me can't take college football seriously as long as the SEC declares itself "the best" while making that an excuse for avoiding non-Conference opponents (even in National Championships.) It's also why the NFL uses common opponents, Conference opponents, strength of victory and strength of schedule to break ties. Obviously overall record comes first, and Division record comes after it within the Division, but when all else is equal, Houston beating up on the 1-13 Colts isn't quite as impressive as the Ravens beating up on the 4-10 Browns.

The AFC West is not a .500 Division simply because we all play each other; Denver's the only one of the lot that's >.500 against the Division, which means:

Denver is 5-4 outside the Division, including wins against Cincy, the Jets and Chicago.

Oakland is 5-5 outside the Division, including wins against Houston, the Jets and Chicago.

San Diego is 5-4 outside the Division, though the only good team they've beaten is Baltimore.

KC is 4-6 outside the Division, including wins against GB and Chicago.

For a crappy Division, the AFC West has racked up a lot of wins against "good" teams from the "good" NFC North, AFC North and AFC East Divisions.
    Last edited by Joel; 01-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I think the AFC west is pretty bad but as a whole I think the quality of the teams in the NFL as a whole is slowly eroding. There's no stat for this but I don't get the feeling from today's ballers like I got 20 years ago. I think if you trace things back around the time Mike Tyson's thuggery entered boxing the level of thuggery in the NFL started to raise as well. Face it today's athlete just ain't got no soul. And big money in sports is the devil. It's ruining sports the same way big money has ruined our political system.

Take the campaign donations out of politics, take the big money and the thuggery out of sports and we might have something. If we don't do something about this I can see the day when the NFL becomes unwatchable.

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

I think the AFC West is upward trending when everyone else is downward trending. All of the AFCW has played some really good football the past few weeks. Even in some losses, we don't look like that weak of a division. I see where you're coming from Joel, it's a valid point.

Next season will be interesting, especially if Norv is out in SD, KC hires a real coach, and Den/Oak continue to be strong. Might be a pretty tough division actually.

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoTech View Post
    I think the AFC west is pretty bad but as a whole I think the quality of the teams in the NFL as a whole is slowly eroding. There's no stat for this but I don't get the feeling from today's ballers like I got 20 years ago. I think if you trace things back around the time Mike Tyson's thuggery entered boxing the level of thuggery in the NFL started to raise as well. Face it today's athlete just ain't got no soul. And big money in sports is the devil. It's ruining sports the same way big money has ruined our political system.

Take the campaign donations out of politics, take the big money and the thuggery out of sports and we might have something. If we don't do something about this I can see the day when the NFL becomes unwatchable.
    No discipline in this League anymore, just prima donnas and/or gold diggers who can do what they wish as long as they win on the field (sometimes even if they don't as long as they have unused ABILITY to do so.) The Commissioner(s,) owners, GMs and coaches all talk about discipline and enforcing penalties for unacceptable behavior, but where's the substance? The rap is crime doesn't pay in the NFL, but the truth is Pro Bowlers can literally get away with murder.

Wholly apart from what does to the character of the game, condoning limitless irresponsibility on and off the field translates into erratic inconsistent teams that can dominate excellent teams one week and be destroyed by pitiful ones the next. Perhaps that explains why the team with the Pro Bowl killer has beaten all but one of the AFCs best teams but loses to people like Tennessee and SD. It certainly explains why the Cowboys keep showing up with rosters filled full of talent but can't manage to win a playoff game even on the rare occasions they get the chance. It also explains why well undertalented by well disciplined teams can do surprisingly well just by consistently playing hard working dedicated football every week (I would normally point to Foxs Broncos here, but after three turnovers to end the first half cost us Sundays game that's no longer an option.) If you can be one of the few disciplined teams you can make the playoffs even if you suck, because the greedy hotdogs you play each week will blow about half their games.
    Quote Originally Posted by camdisco24 View Post
    I think the AFC West is upward trending when everyone else is downward trending. All of the AFCW has played some really good football the past few weeks. Even in some losses, we don't look like that weak of a division. I see where you're coming from Joel, it's a valid point.

Next season will be interesting, especially if Norv is out in SD, KC hires a real coach, and Den/Oak continue to be strong. Might be a pretty tough division actually.
    That's also a good point; I thought about it a couple weeks ago with respect to Denver, but it now seems to apply to the whole Division: The NFL is all about peaking at the right time, which the AFC West as a group seems to be doing. That IS better news for Denver than any of the other teams; KC and SD probably waited too long for their resurgence, and the Faders are the exception to the rule. As noted above, the teams that can maintain a consistent level of focus and effort can hang with anyone, and beat most people now that free agency, huge salaries and laughable conduct policies have made the NFL a hotdoggers club.

19. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    AFC Central? You mean North? Maybe East? The east and north are strong. Your post confused me so bad, hey it's late, that I had to go back and double check there is no central

21. The Following User High Fived jhildebrand For This Post:

Odd how the 'niners under Singletary were so undisciplined while Mike was such a disciplinarian. Under a laid back coach they are playing better ball. Pretty much the same squad. Maybe Mike had Mcd people skills.

Before the Cutler injury, I had the Bears, Packers, and Lions sweeping the AFC West.

To their credit, the AFC West is on the rise. Broncos have been solid under Tebow, the Raiders are more explossive with Palmer, the Chargers are again looking strong late in the season ... maybe too late, and the Chiefs .... not really sure what to make of them. They've replaced one game manager with another; that offseason should be interesting.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information