Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: All we have to do is beat KC and we win the division?

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    An opinion can't be wrong. What it really means is that you and Nomad have different standards. He wants to get in on the Broncos winning out and not depending on other teams. You don't care how they get it.

In the end, you both want them in the playoffs....so how about ending the silly bickering where you tell him his opinion is wrong.
    I know what he's trying to say but if the Broncos have already done enough to get in, they deserve to get in. His fixation with ignoring what theyve done prior to this point artificially creates some way to discredit what they've done to this point. Again, if they've already done enough, then they've already done enough. And if they've already done enough, they deserve to get in. That's not opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Orange View Post
    I know what he's trying to say but if the Broncos have already done enough to get in, they deserve to get in. His fixation with ignoring what theyve done prior to this point artificially creates some way to discredit what they've done to this point. Again, if they've already done enough, then they've already done enough. And if they've already done enough, they deserve to get in. That's not opinion.
    I guess you didn't get the full scope of his opinion then...not just for the sole purpose of getting in, but for the purpose of getting in and going somewhere, you don't want to back in. It's a semantics issue. He doesn't discredit anything, but for the purposes of not just getting there, but hopefully winning, he doesn't want them depending on anyone. He wants to win out and go into the playoffs with motivation and momentum.

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I guess you didn't get the full scope of his opinion then...not just for the sole purpose of getting in, but for the purpose of getting in and going somewhere, you don't want to back in. It's a semantics issue. He doesn't discredit anything, but for the purposes of not just getting there, but hopefully winning, he doesn't want them depending on anyone. He wants to win out and go into the playoffs with motivation and momentum.

Arguing for the sake of arguing.
    No, like I said, I understand what he's trying to say. Perhaps you should revisit what he's saying. He doesn't want to rely on other's losing to make it in. But that's the case for a lot of teams. And the language he used about being accountable but only focusing on the last two games in applying this creates a factual discrepancy.

Whether you back in or pull in your still parked.

5. The Following User High Fived VonSackemMiller For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBJ View Post
    Yea, crazy that if San Diego loses tonight, or next week.

And we lose to Buffalo, while KC beats Oakland.

That week 17 game vs KC will be for the division.

I bet that game would get flexed. Can you imagine Tebow vs Orton for the division title?

Really don't want it to get to that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    I don't think the last game of the year has an evening game because it would create an inherent disadvantage for the winner of that game especially if it is the travelling team headed to the PO's.

I am 99% sure there is no flex in week 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    I don't think that's correct. No Monday night game because of the advantage, but I'm 100% certain that when we got blown out by SD in Wk17 with the division on the line, it was in prime time. Unless they've change it since, but I don't think the few hours difference between starting at 1pm or 5:30pm is a big advantage.
    Youre right!

I just went schedule slumming to double check.
    The 100% correct answer is that there will not be any primetime games (Thursday, Sunday or Monday) on week 17.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

7. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Orange View Post
    I heard that we don't have to win a game if the Raiders beat the Chiefs, the Chargers lose to Detroit, and then, in week 17, the Chargers beat the Raiders.

If that was confusing this might help:

Week 16
    Lions over Chargers
    Raiders over Chiefs

Week 17
    Chargers over Raiders
    It's because there are only a total of 6 different games left involving the 4 AFC West teams, all of which are against common opponents (and all but 2 of which are Divisional, all but 1 Conference.)

Best way to understand it is to just check each teams record in order of tiebreak, most of which can be taken from any listing of NFL standings:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

Denver 8-6 Division 3-2 Common opponents 6-4 Conference 6-4
    Raiders 7-7 Division 2-2 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 5-5
    SDiego 7-7 Division 2-3 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 6-5
    Kansas 6-8 Division 2-2 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 3-7

That makes it easy to see FOR DENVER:*

If Oakland beats KC they get another Division, common and Conference win; the Chiefs get a loss.
    If Detroit beats SD they get another common loss.
    If SD beats Oakland they get another Division, common and Conference win while Oakland gets a loss.
    If Buffalo beats us we get another common and conference loss, and we get one more (plus a Division loss) if KC beats us.

Final standings:
    Denver 8-8 Div 3-3 Com 6-6 Con 6-6
    SDiego 8-8 Div 3-3 Com 5-7 Con 7-5
    Raiders 8-8 Div 3-3 Com 5-7 Con 6-6
    Kansas 7-9 Div 3-3 Com 5-7 Con 4-8

That's the critical reason a Denver win now eliminates everyone but Oakland, and an Oakland loss eliminates them, too: We're 2 games up on EVERYONE against common opponents, which is all anyone has left to play. It's also what made the Bears win so important. Only the Raiders and Chiefs still have a chance at a better Division record, and only if they win out and we lose to KC; otherwise the worst we do is tie, and our better record against common opponents brings us home.

Note that San Diego would have a better Conference record but lose to us because common opponents come first: We lost a wildcard spot that way in 2006, even though we had a better Conference record than all other potential #6 seeds. The reason was one of them was KC, which had a better Division record so, even though we had the best Conference record of the lot, we could only be the #6 seed IF KC were the #5.

*The above listing for "common opponents" is only with respect to Denver, because teams don't play themselves, which means that while Denver and Oakland have the same common opponents, and Denver and KC do, Denver, KC AND Oakland do NOT (because Denver and Oakland play KC but KC does not, etc.) Also, the list does not include strength of victory and lesser tiebreaks because they can't be precisely known with 2 games left, though strength of victory and schedule can be estimated with a 2 game variance (per team beaten.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    KC game might be meaningless.

Broncos beat Bills.

Detroit beats SD.

KC beats Oakland.

Broncos clinch AFC West on Saturday.

The finale vs. KC will not matter as Denver will likely sit starters for the Playoffs
    If we win another game only Oakland can catch us, because KC can't get to 9 wins and San Diego can't get to 7 wins against common opponents.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

9. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    lol, I think you custom order any jersey you want from NFL Shop.
    That's not really true. The NFL practices censorship. Remember all those people ordering "Ron Mexico" Jerseys with Vick's number after Michael Vick got busted using that alias. They banned all "Mexico" Jersey sales.

11. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

For the record, MY opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that if we can't beat one of two teams whose COMBINED record is barely good enough to make the playoffs, we don't belong there, and won't be long.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    For the record, MY opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that if we can't beat one of two teams whose COMBINED record is barely good enough to make the playoffs, we don't belong there, and won't be long.
    I would say you do a fine job of breaking things down and articulating your opinions.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

First and foremost Denver needs to take care of their business in Buffalo. If they do it automatically eliminates the Chargers for division title. It doesn't eliminate them from playoff contention but they can't win the division.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

17. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

earning it is better than backing in-- but backing in's still better than not going. . . .

didn't stop seattle from beating new orleans last year, and some playoff experience would be great for this young squad regardless of how we get there. . .

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I would say it does.....rely on yourselves, win out and you're there. Buffalo and KC are very winnable games because the BRONCOS are the better team.
    Funny... http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...n-stopper.html

I forgot nowadays you can't be held accountable by doing your own work but rely on others to do your dirty work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't want them to back in to the playoffs. They need to take care of their own business and own the division, not get it handed to them.

"The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride ****ing with you. **** pride. Pride only hurts. It never helps. You fight through that shit."

21. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

I would say you do a fine job of breaking things down and articulating your opinions.
    Thanks, I do try and (contrary to appearances) to avoid being verbose, but, forced to choose, I'll always trade concise for clear and civil (though I don't always do well with the latter.)

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

The worst case scenario is Kyle Orton returns on Jan 1 and knocks us out of the playoffs.
    Chewing on that all offseason would suck

I don't think the last game of the year has an evening game because it would create an inherent disadvantage for the winner of that game especially if it is the travelling team headed to the PO's.

I am 99% sure there is no flex in week 17.
    Well you'd be 100 percent wrong. Theres always been flexed games in week 17 since they started. We got flexed in 08 vs the Chargers. Then it was Bengals/Jets in 09 I remember, and last year it was Seahawks/Rams.

Probably already been discussed in this thread, but I sure hope we handle business. Although a Tebow vs Orton game to decide the division would be pretty epic, I don't want it to get to that point.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information