Josey Jewell

Default McDaniels' influence still felt in Denver

Great read by Adam Schefter!

Call him McFired, McStupid . . . whatever you want, but a big reason the
    Broncos are winning today is because of what Josh McDaniels brought to us
    before he was shown the door . . .

McDaniels' influence still felt in Denver

Long before Denver, the NFL, fans and television networks invested in Tim
    Tebow, former Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels did.

McDaniels believed in Tebow more than any other coach or team in the NFL.
    He envisioned what he could do for a franchise. It was just that McDaniels
    also envisioned being a part of it.

Yet before he could get his chance, the Broncos fired McDaniels on Dec. 6,
    2010, two weeks before Tebow made his first career start as Broncos
    quarterback.

McDaniels packed up his belongings but left behind the quarterback he traded
    up to get. Since then, Denver has not been the same.

Read the rest of it at ESPN.com

-
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-16-2011 at 03:08 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He didn't walk out the door, he was kicked out.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    He didn't walk out the door, he was kicked out.
    Good point. Post edited.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Sounds like this Schefler guy is a McDummy apologist. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the McDummy bandwagon before he was fired.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by TimHippo View Post
    Sounds like this Schefler guy is a McDummy apologist. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the McDummy bandwagon before he was fired.
    Ummmm.. . . careful there buddy. Schefter is a well revered sports writer in Denver circles. He started his career in Denver before moving up to ESPN, and long before McDummy came along.

9. The Following 13 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

y'all can laugh/criticize/hate on me for this but i still think McD has an advanced perspective on football. and by "advanced" i'm going off the "advanced genius theory"; basically, that he thinks ahead of his time and some/most of his ideas are too ahead of their time to be applied or appreciated in the current structures.

that's why the McD offense worked with Brady, someone who's also a bit of an advanced specimen. people like orton can't get it done. i was very eager to see how tebow fit into it (i still think McD was planning a hybrid spread/option offense for tebow).

granted, McD's record here was inexcusable. and his interpersonal skills were a nightmare. but he knew what he was doing. listen to myriad interviews with broncos players and they talk about how he knew more about football than anyone else they'd worked with. also note how they never said they "liked" him.

of course, this is all moot. the broncos are in a better place without him. but i still think he will be a good NFL head coach, someday.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived rationalfan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Don't expect any of the McD haters to give him any credit for Tebow despite the fact that he deserves it. He was one of the very few who believed in him back then and he is looking smarter and smarter about that pick week after week. And the recent reports that this Tebow offense this season was created by McD and McCoy last season make him look even better. He may not be the best personnel guy ever but he may have just hit one out of the park with the Tebow pick.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Schefter is one of the more respected analysts in football. I don't remember
    either his defending or his attacking McDaniels much at all.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

um, i'm assuming you're a tebow fan. which is fine. if so, i don't understand why you would despise the coach (McD) who saw tebow as a franchise-saving QB? and this isn't a passive aggressive attack. truly, i'm curious about that perspective.

if you're not a tebow fanboy (i'm going off the "tim" reference in your handle), please ignore the comment.

17. The Following User High Fived rationalfan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    And the recent reports that this Tebow offense this season was created by McD and McCoy last season make him look even better.
    interesting. i hadn't heard that. can you provide the source material?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by rationalfan View Post
    interesting. i hadn't heard that. can you provide the source material?
    It was in some thread here. Forget which one. Apparently this entire offense we are running right now was put together last season by McD and McCoy. I think McCoy said that in an interview with a Denver radio host. Not sure which thread I saw it in though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rationalfan View Post
    y'all can laugh/criticize/hate on me for this but i still think McD has an advanced perspective on football. and by "advanced" i'm going off the "advanced genius theory"; basically, that he thinks ahead of his time and some/most of his ideas are too ahead of their time to be applied or appreciated in the current structures.

that's why the McD offense worked with Brady, someone who's also a bit of an advanced specimen. people like orton can't get it done. i was very eager to see how tebow fit into it (i still think McD was planning a hybrid spread/option offense for tebow).

granted, McD's record here was inexcusable. and his interpersonal skills were a nightmare. but he knew what he was doing. listen to myriad interviews with broncos players and they talk about how he knew more about football than anyone else they'd worked with. also note how they never said they "liked" him.

of course, this is all moot. the broncos are in a better place without him. but i still think he will be a good NFL head coach, someday.
    Brady is a bad ass MF'er. Thats why McD and every other OC has been successful with him. Orton is subpar, thats why no one has been successful with him.

McD will eventually wash out of the NFL because he isnt a good OC, and he isnt good with people.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

21. The Following 12 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

1) Its only been a few games with Teebs. As much as i like the kid and enjoy the recent winning there's still a ways to go before he is deemed a success. There are plenty of QB's who have won a handful of games and some of them arent even in the NFL anymore.

2) McDaniels simply seeing "Something" in Tim doesnt equate to actually knowing how to use him. Im sure the Rams were wondering what happened to that great mind this year. Despite the fact that we are indeed using SOME of what was designed for Tebow via McD its been on record that what Fox is using is only a slight part of it.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

The guy is a douche bag / thread.

welcome back top!

25. The Following 5 Users High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    1) Its only been a few games with Teebs. As much as i like the kid and enjoy the recent winning there's still a ways to go before he is deemed a success. There are plenty of QB's who have won a handful of games and some of them arent even in the NFL anymore.

2) McDaniels simply seeing "Something" in Tim doesnt equate to actually knowing how to use him. Im sure the Rams were wondering what happened to that great mind this year. Despite the fact that we are indeed using SOME of what was designed for Tebow via McD its been on record that what Fox is using is only a slight part of it.
    and it was probably belichek who saw something in tebow. Mcd only ramora'd the knowledge from him..

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information