Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow and the prevent defense

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Default Tebow and the prevent defense

Is Tebow only good against prevent defense schemes. I've noticed in most of the comebacks that's what the other teams have switched to prematurely. Are his 4th quarter performances just an illusion?
    Last edited by CrazyHorse; 12-11-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    In Elway We Trust

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Against Tebow, there is no such thing as a prevent defense when the game is on the line. There is no preventing the path of Tebus.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Clipworthy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Tebow chews up prevent. The problem for opposing defenses is that he plays so poorly during regulation that they get sloppy when playing prevent and it really surprises them.

Playing prevent against Tebow is really setting yourself up for an unpleasant surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

6. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

No. Teams can't drop that many backs because they have to respect his ability to run.
    A young Josh McDaniels starred alongside Jonah Hill and Michael Cera in Superbad (2007).

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It'd be nice if Tebow could manage during the first three quarters to put up some points so that this conversation would never happen.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    It'd be nice if Tebow could manage during the first three quarters to put up some points so that this conversation would never happen.
    That pass to D. Thomas was beautiful live and looked like it should have been a TD. Not sure what the replays on TV showed.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

That pass to D. Thomas was beautiful live and looked like it should have been a TD. Not sure what the replays on TV showed.
    They showed about 2-3 inches of overthrow. At that distance it's still a marksman's shot. Hit DT in the palms though, that should have been a TD, no question.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

To say the Bears or the Vikings played "prevent" defense the past 2 weeks is just wrong. Nobody was playing "prevent". They were playing cover 2 like they usually do in their base formation. Yeah, their Safeties were a little deeper than usual to prevent the big play, but they were still rushing 4 guys on every down and dropping 7 into coverage with 2 deep Safeties - hence, Cover 2. Don't confuse the Bears or Vikings Tampa 2 with a prevent because they keep their Safeties deep. They were playing a conservative Cover 2 "off" but it was Cover 2 nonetheless.

What else are they going to do, blitz? Tebow showed the Jets that blitzing him when he's running the 2 minute drill out of the shotgun spread is a bad idea. What other scheme were they going to run? You'll know when it's "prevent" because there will normally be only 3 D-linemen on the field and the rest are usually D-backs (that you normally won't see on the screen anywhere near the LOS) with maybe one LB and they will play deep Cover 4 with 4 underneath cover guys and 4 guys over the top.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    They showed about 2-3 inches of overthrow. At that distance it's still a marksman's shot. Hit DT in the palms though, that should have been a TD, no question.
    they called him out on NFL network, said he needs to catch that

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Is Tebow only good against prevent defense schemes. I've noticed in most of the comebacks that's what the other teams have switched to prematurely. Are his 4th quarter performances just an illusion?
    If they are than so is EVERY other comeback from EVERY other QB. I can guarantee Manning's Monday night comeback against Tampa so long ago by 21 down was done against the prevent. Prevent prevents nothing but yet teams that have the lead go to it for whatever reason. Tebow's are no different than any other QB.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I guaran-damn-tee that they werent in prevent for the 2 field goal drives

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

18. The Following User High Fived catfish For This Post:

I'm definitely beginning to suspect that this is what's going on. Actual clutch quarterbacking is pretty much out of the question as an explanation; if Tebow is really capable of raising his level of play to such a great degree in the fourth quarter, he'd be the first quarterback in NFL history with this ability. Far more likely defenses are changing the way they defend Tebow with a fourth-quarter lead, or we're changing the way we call plays on offense when trailing in the fourth quarter (kind of like clutch pitching in baseball, where pitchers have throws they don't use in ordinary game situations), or it's a combination of the two.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived SM19 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

The Bears actually did blitz at the end. They were trying to stop him from rolling left, at least from what I could see. And at the outside they were playing Cover-2 and the corner worried about Decker flying down the middle which, actually, was a threat in itself. They were chasing two rabbits out there.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I also know that in the Jets game on the final play where Tebow scrambled for the TD was a blitz also.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by SM19 View Post
    I'm definitely beginning to suspect that this is what's going on. Actual clutch quarterbacking is pretty much out of the question as an explanation; if Tebow is really capable of raising his level of play to such a great degree in the fourth quarter, he'd be the first quarterback in NFL history with this ability. Far more likely defenses are changing the way they defend Tebow with a fourth-quarter lead, or we're changing the way we call plays on offense when trailing in the fourth quarter (kind of like clutch pitching in baseball, where pitchers have throws they don't use in ordinary game situations), or it's a combination of the two.
    Combination of the two. There's a first time for everything and I'm starting to believe that he can tap into his god-chi and play 'better' somehow when the game is on the line. The D usually also changes their scheme when hanging on to a lead. I'm willing to bet the next team that plays us that has a lead going into the final minutes of the game plays much more aggressively and foregoes prevent altogether.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information