Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Phelps Caught Smoking Pot

Default Michael Phelps Caught Smoking Pot

Millions and millions in endorsements, record setting Olympics and more fame than any 23-year-old athlete has ever known, and he risks all that for a cheap thrill on a bong.

Can you spell S-T-U-P-I-D?

Phelps Calls Photo of Him Smoking Marijuana 'Regrettable'
    Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. — Olympic great Michael Phelps has acknowledged "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after a photo in a British newspaper showed him smoking marijuana.

In a statement released to The Associated Press, the swimmer who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games conceded the authenticity of the exclusive picture published Sunday by the tabloid News of the World.

Phelps said: "I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...abis-pipe.html
    Last edited by Broncos Mtnman; 02-01-2009 at 05:02 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'll bet Dream is proud.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Everyone is not perfect. World, what do you expect?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Not my choice in extracurricular activities, but sheesh. He didn't do this while training or performing. He didn't do this while endorsing anything. He did this as himself. Granted, it was pretty stupid to do this when a witness had a camera, but give the guy a break.
    This space available for lease.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

He is a sports icon. He's got more gold medals that some people have years behind them. He's a world sports champion and a role model for millions. He is an idiot for putting himself in this position.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

better he takes bong hits than drives drunk IMO. The thing is, it probably wasn't his first time, and it never got in the way of him accomplishing his goals.

This is purely my opinion, but I don't see the big deal.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    better he takes bong hits than drives drunk IMO. The thing is, it probably wasn't his first time, and it never got in the way of him accomplishing his goals.

This is purely my opinion, but I don't see the big deal.
    Drinking is legal. Pot isn't. As far as it getting in the way of his goals, there are numerous ways to mask the traces of MJ, so that doesn't mean it was irrelevant.

I bet when he starts losing his multi-million dollar endorsements and possibly losing out on the 2012 Olympics, that he will see what the big deal is.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

He did it back in 04, and he owned up to it. I don't see him getting any less endorsements for it, just different endorsements.

But hey, when people need to feel better about themselves, they can always look down their noses at Phelps for having a good time. Hypocrites.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    Not my choice in extracurricular activities, but sheesh. He didn't do this while training or performing. He didn't do this while endorsing anything. He did this as himself. Granted, it was pretty stupid to do this when a witness had a camera, but give the guy a break.
    How do you know he didn't do it while performing? There are many ways to mask MJ from showing up in drug tests. As far as your claim that he wasn't endorsing anything, he's currently endorsing many, many things. Subway, AT&T, and many others.

No breaks for being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    He did it back in 04, and he owned up to it. I don't see him getting any less endorsements for it, just different endorsements.

But hey, when people need to feel better about themselves, they can always look down their noses at Phelps for having a good time. Hypocrites.
    Oh yeah, I feel really good about myself after an athlete does something stupid.

Get a clue....

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    Drinking is legal. Pot isn't. As far as it getting in the way of his goals, there are numerous ways to mask the traces of MJ, so that doesn't mean it was irrelevant.

I bet when he starts losing his multi-million dollar endorsements and possibly losing out on the 2012 Olympics, that he will see what the big deal is.

I said "drives drunk" that isn't legal either but millions of Americans do it on a daily basis. I'm not going to argue with you here MTN, you have your opinion and I respect that. I was simply just stating mine.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    Oh yeah, I feel really good about myself after an athlete does something stupid.

Get a clue....
    The tone and your creation of this thread say otherwise.

True. I don't know he didn't do it whlie performing. However, I think that MJ would hinder performance rather than enhance.

My point was if he's going to do something stupid, don't do it with someone with a camera.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    That's a pretty ******* stupid comment. If Jay Cutler was caught smoking a joint next week would it be okay then? Not likely.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    That's a pretty ******* stupid comment. If Jay Cutler was caught smoking a joint next week would it be okay then? Not likely.
    He would submit to whatever punishment after the appeals, and we would move on.

People smoking pot doesn't bug me. Its about a big a deal as drinking to me, regardless of legality.

Besides, this picture of Phelps is from '04. He was 19/20. If you didn't do something that you think that you shouldn't have when you were that age, then good for you. Phelps could have said it was tobacco in that pipe, but he admitted he made a mistake. You couldn't have gotten Clinton to admit that. You couldn't get Bush to admit to doing coke. And who knows, maybe he will spin this into an anti-drugs promotion. I'm sure his agent is going to spin it that way.

So hey media, way to go lambasting a guy for doing something 5 years ago that may have had little to no impact with what he did in China last year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information