Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PFF ranks all 32 OL...Denver ranked 30th of 32

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Default PFF ranks all 32 OL...Denver ranked 30th of 32

With the season fast approaching it’s end, it seems about time to influence some Pro Bowl voters at a spot where talent is too often overlooked, the offensive line.

As we did back for the 2010 season, we’ve looked at our individual ratings for every single offensive lineman on each NFL team, added them up and come up three different categories to rank them: Pass blocking, run blocking (including screens), and penalties.

From there we’ve added them up and what you’ve got are our (as of Week 13) offensive line rankings.

It’s not a perfect science since we rate players and not units, nor does it take into account strength of opponent, but it’s as good as anything out there, so enjoy No.’s 1-32 all in one article.

30. Denver Broncos

Rank: Pass Blocking = 19th, Run Blocking = 32nd, Penalties = 25th

Our lowest-ranked run blocking team, the Broncos have earned a lot of their yardage through simple misdirection as teams fail to get to grips with the option offense they’re running. It’s taken the burden off a line that was struggling to do anything early in the season. Lots of youth here, so let’s see how it develops.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...season-report/

I suspected for awhile the option and all the misdirection was the majority of the reason for good running game. To be honest Kuper, walton, Beadles have yet to grade in the green in any game outside of walton in the raiders game.....our interior needs help in a big way.....our run blocking even from clady and franklin hasnt been that great either.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I'd like to know how they came up with these rankings.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Clady has been a complete disappointment the last couple years. He was once a top 3 T and now he doesn't even sniff top 10 IMO. Not to mention leading the league in holding penalties or whatever.

5. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    they grade each OL player in the unit and while not a exact science, use the gardes to determine the overall OL play. As I mentioned clady is having his worst year as a pro based off there ranking and isnt even a top 15 tackle this year. Kuper, Walton, Franklin and Beadles grade in the red(negative) every game overall, but have had games where they grade green in either run blocking or pass blocking but blow in the other aspect to bring the grade down.....penalties have been killers to and bring the grades down, thats a big thing with clady this year....

7. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I figured it was arbitrary since I've been following these stats all year:

http://profootballspotlight.com/broncos-stats

This is a key to what each stat is:
    Team Pass Blocking

Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the 90% is a good score for pass blocking.

Passing Power Blocking

How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the block. How often did the offensive lineman give up pressure on the quarterback? Every once and a while a lineman can do his job but give up pressure on the QB. This stat will help glean more info from the line grades.

Pressures

Combo Help
    How often did the offensive coordinator provide help for a tough defender or a struggling lineman. Yea, two lineman ended up with the same grade...but how much help did either of them get?

Team Run Blocking

Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the mid 80s to 90% is a decent score.

Power Blocking

How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? These scores are good for comparing across teams and finding the most dominant lineman in the league.

Power Blocking Score

Anything over zero is a good score. The more over zero the more the lineman dominated the defender. Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the defender.

2nd Level Blocks

The number of successes over failures for the lineman when blocking linebackers and safeties on the second level. The lineman must be athletic to accomplish a high second level score.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

That's amazing really, because Denver didnt use the option at all during the Vikings game, and have run the option about 37-38% of the time ( read that yesterday on ESPN AFC West blog).

I guess what they say about winning as a team is true. While the individuals might not be that good themselves, together they do pretty well.

McGahee had 111 yards last week in a "traditional" offensive scheme.

But just like winning, I will take the yards however we can, especially running yards.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived BFI For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

another thing is our offense is very big play right now.....we struggle and struggle but when we have a chance at a big play the offesne comes through. This team is playing football the team way all over and its a recipe for success if they sustain it into the playoffs......when a individual struggles someone elese covers and vice versa so the units themselves look dominating but the performances as individuals have been pretty sub par

13. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

No big surprises here. I wouldn't have expected our run blocking to grade out dead LAST, but knew it was pretty awful, especially at G, the most critical position for the run. Anyone who's watched most of the games knows we draw WAY too many penalties, partly because Clady's been playing hurt for a while and grabbing when he gets beat (which is often.) The pass grade is a little better than I expected, but I already knew we pass block better than we run (when your tackles are significantly better than your guards, despite one of them being a rookie, that tends to happen.)

I'm still happy with Kuper, who's easily our best G (though the competition isn't exactly stiff.) We need a major upgrade in the offseason any way we can get it, whether it's drafting yet another starter at RT (that would be, what, 3 in 4 years?) and moving Franklin inside or just going for a huge powerful guard. The only knock I have on Kuper is that he's not big or dominating, but more the prototypical ZB guard of past Broncos teams; with a real bruiser on the left he would be more of an asset (something like Ben Hamilton used to be,) but as it stands he's too often just one more guy who can't give us line surge. If we're going to be a run dominant team, we NEED line surge, which means Beadles and Walton are not our future unless they get MUCH better VERY fast.

As always, I have mixed feelings when I read comments like this one:
    The star of the show has been Chris Myers, our top ranked center
    As a Texans fan that thrills me, but as a Broncos fan I've considered him "the one that got away" from the moment we lost him (and I can't even blame McDumbass.)

Like I say, no big surprises here; Tebow and McGahee make a very young very below average offensive line look better than it is most of the time. An offensive line is only as good as its worst player, and we have several bad ones. Since offenses can't run OR pass without a good line that probably still explains the anemic performance of ours better than injuries in the backfield or inexperience under center. Whoever we have running or passing, our offense will be unreliable and often disastrous until our line is solid. We need quality starters at guard, and soon.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

This ranking made me think of this article... I'm sure it's posted elsewhere - it's just funny how every possible criticism has been hurled at this team and they just keep winning. Not saying these rankings are off - we can definitely improve the O-line - but after a while these criticisms almost start to be a parody of themselves while we keep ripping off W's.

Do you know what else Tim Tebow has never done?

Tim Tebow has not climbed all Seven Summits. He's never built an invisible jet or hosted the Country Music Awards. If he has solved the mystery of Loch Ness, or washed dishes at The French Laundry, it's never been written about. Tim Tebow's portrait does not hang in the Louvre. Sandra Bullock has never made a Tim Tebow movie. Tim Tebow has never made a Sandra Bullock movie.

Sure, Tim Tebow has been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but has he been on the cover of Dwell or Bon Appetit? That's right: no. Loser!

Do you know that Tim Tebow has never hosted a late-night talk show in Denmark? That he's never been the CEO of The Gap? That he wasn't a serious candidate to be manager of the Red Sox? Tim Tebow has never won a professional motocross race. He's never even come in second in a professional motocross race. Tim Tebow did zero to solve the NBA lockout. Zilch.

Here is a small list of other things Tim Tebow has never won:

Wimbledon, a MacArthur "Genius" grant, "Project Runway," "The Price is Right," the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, the Booker Prize or a Grammy for best spoken-word album.

That's embarrassing. Why do people care about him?
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...117638504.html

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    With the season fast approaching it’s end, it seems about time to influence some Pro Bowl voters at a spot where talent is too often overlooked, the offensive line.

As we did back for the 2010 season, we’ve looked at our individual ratings for every single offensive lineman on each NFL team, added them up and come up three different categories to rank them: Pass blocking, run blocking (including screens), and penalties.

From there we’ve added them up and what you’ve got are our (as of Week 13) offensive line rankings.

It’s not a perfect science since we rate players and not units, nor does it take into account strength of opponent, but it’s as good as anything out there, so enjoy No.’s 1-32 all in one article.

30. Denver Broncos

Our lowest-ranked run blocking team, the Broncos have earned a lot of their yardage through simple misdirection as teams fail to get to grips with the option offense they’re running. It’s taken the burden off a line that was struggling to do anything early in the season. Lots of youth here, so let’s see how it develops.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...season-report/

I suspected for awhile the option and all the misdirection was the majority of the reason for good running game. To be honest Kuper, walton, Beadles have yet to grade in the green in any game outside of walton in the raiders game.....our interior needs help in a big way.....our run blocking even from clady and franklin hasnt been that great either.

So the 30th ranked OLine had NOTHING to do with the success with the 1st ranked running game, huh?

Some of these "analysts" are ******* clueless.

Default I never locked Oliver Cromwell in a broom closet while singing "Waltzing Matilda."

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This ranking made me think of this article... I'm sure it's posted elsewhere - it's just funny how every possible criticism has been hurled at this team and they just keep winning. Not saying these rankings are off - we can definitely improve the O-line - but after a while these criticisms almost start to be a parody of themselves while we keep ripping off W's.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...117638504.html
    http://www.lyrics007.com/King%20Miss...%20Lyrics.html

Also, as poor as I think our line is, I do take some comfort from noting whose ranked immediately below it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    So the 30th ranked OLine had NOTHING to do with the success with the 1st ranked running game, huh?

Well, since we're ranked first by total yards and almost always run, no, the line doesn't have much to do with that ranking apart from being at least good enough to (usually) prevent defenders injuring our runners.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post

No. When you break down film, as you do with any team, and you grade out the individual player's performance on every individual play...basing their grade on how well THEY blocked the assigned person to block..... you can get and individual "Grade."

Just like you do when you are on the team, and Monday morning you go in for film study and the coaches hand you your "grade sheet" on your game's performance. No different.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

ranked 30th? that can't be taken seriously in any way, shape or form. . .

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I would like to know the answer to that question as well. There is no way we pile up the kind rushing stats we have with just simple misdirection. Besides that I know that's not all we've done.

23. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I think it might be hard to develop past the #1 rushing offense in the league.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information