Thread: Onechanbara- Bikini Samurai

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Onechanbara- Bikini Samurai

This game is weird but has a cult following in Japan and was released on the PS2 originally. Now it makes it's way to the US for the XBox 360 and Wii.

Take the fast-paced crowd clearing combat of Dynasty Warriors set in modern day +

Zombies and the Undead +

Nearly naked chicks (and sometimes naked I'm sure) with guns and katanas, literally cover them in blood +

...and you have Onechanbara- Bikini Samurai

I'll get it because of it's low retail price ($40) and I like the crowd clearing genre.

I'm surprised a game like this is going to the Wii though.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

The justification for the half naked chicks is that the zombie blood gives them power when it hits their skin (thus the exposure). Gotta love the Japanese!

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I'm sure when they are covered in blood they'll look naked.

Another feature is that when their swords get covered in blood and guts they move slower and get duller and need to be cleaned.

Sounds cool.

Available 2/11 for Wii and 360.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Preview
    Hands on the game, not the girls, unfortunately.
    by Erik Brudvig
    ign.com
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/947/947791p1.html

January 23, 2009 - I first got my hands on Onechanbara back in 2006, shortly before it was to be released in Japan. At that point, there were no solid plans to bring the game to the US and it looked like importing would be the only way to see the bikini-clad zombie slayers. It took over two years, but D3 Publisher is now gearing up for the US release. And what a steamy release it will be.

Like other games in the budget-friendly Onechanbara franchise, this Xbox 360 release has little shame. The game opens with a cutscene of two sisters at home, one in the shower. While she lathers up, the other is watching a television report of a zombie outbreak. After quickly getting dressed (in a bikini and cowboy hat, of course) the two are off to slay the undead creatures.

Of course, just because a zombie apocalypse has stricken the world, it doesn't mean these two young women are going to stop showing off their, erm, looks. Jump and land and you'll see some jiggle physics that even carry over into little story vignettes that have little other motion. If you look closely, and I'm not saying that I did, you can even see a little jiggle in the girls' behinds when they jump and run. With numerous costumes to unlock, as well as other girls to play as, and some DLC promised to hit when the game launches that adds even more fashionable looks, there won't be any lack of variety in the ways you can ogle the zombie slayers.

As a budget game (Onechanbara is releasing at a suggested price of just $39.99) that was actually released in Japan years ago, the visuals aren't quite up to par with other current 360 games and the gameplay is fairly basic. The design is one you've likely seen in the past with hacking, slashing, and quick little combos ruling the roost. As you clear out one wave of zombies you'll quickly find yourself surrounded by the next as you move to the next section of the level.

Onechanbara loosely translates to "sisters in blood" and the theme is felt strongly in the game mechanics. Blood flies everywhere as you slash your way through the zombies and some of it will start building up on the girls and their weapons. Build up enough blood on a sword and you'll find that it gets stuck in the enemies rather than slicing right through. If enough blood gets on one of the girls, she'll go into a rage mode where the damage dealt is multiplied but a health drain is in effect.

I had the chance to play through the first three stages and take in a few cutscenes during my time with Onechanbara. There isn't much difference between the stages aside from the scenery and the end boss, though battling through a hospital stage while zombies that someone had lit on fire rushed me was a bit hilarious. In fact, it's the goofy zombies that made me smile the most here. Even if you lop off their torsos, their legs will keep walking towards you in an attempt at impeding your progress. The zombies carrying the chain saws were another high point for me. It's just so silly.

There is another Onechanbara title, subtitled Bikini Zombie Slayers, coming out soon on Wii. They might seem the same, but well, they aren't. The 360 version is a bit fuller with extra cutscenes, locations, characters, costumes and a different storyline. One thing it doesn't have, though, is English voice acting. During the two years it took to bring Onechanbara to the States, only subtitles have been added.

You can play Onechanbara co-operatively, but only on a single Xbox 360. No Xbox Live support here. If you play by yourself, though, one nice feature that the 360 version has and the Wii doesn't is the ability to swap characters on the fly. Each girl has her own specialties -- one we played with has ranged attacks while the other could do wrestling slams – so there is more than just a visual reason to swap in and out.

From what I gathered, I have strong doubts as to whether the story in Onechanbara will make a lick of sense. But then, if you're looking forward to the game, it's probably more for the old-school hack and slash gameplay than it is for any intriguing tale of zombocalypse. Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad should hit store shelves within the first few months of 2009.

7. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Of course after I read that, I youtubed the opening scene to the game. Its there.

9. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

A video game with near-nude chicks, swords, blood and guts, slaughtering hordes... What's not to love? Brainless gaming at it's finest.

11. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Of course after I read that, I youtubed the opening scene to the game. Its there.
    If anyone wants to see-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24u8...eature=related

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I just picked this up with the Sega Genesis Collection.

Onechanbara- Bikini Samurai (translated loosely means The Blood Sisters) for 360 is Part 3 while the Wii version is Part 4. The 360 version is 20 levels and the Wii version is only 5. Maybe that's the price difference as the 360 version has a ton of extra content.

OCB is very repetitive. If you haven't played games in the crowd-clearing genre like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors or Crimson Sea, you may find this interesting with 50+ enemies on screen at once and all the near nudity and sexy girls covered in blood. Otherwise there is nothing new here. There are plenty of moves available and different weapons but you pretty much slam the same few buttons over and over again ad nauseum. There is a little strategy involved but it's all minute. If you don't clean the blood off your swords they'll got dull and stuck in enemies, and if you get covered in too much blood you enter an insane mode that drains your life. You can power up your stats with skill points, but that's about it.

The graphics aren't great, after all this is a port of a 2006 PS2 game, but it does a fine job of putting up ridiculous amounts of zombies, undead and other monsters on screen for you to plow through. Your Samurai whores move in extreme sluttiness, especially the lead character. The game is too easy on normal, I'm on level 5 and haven't even died. The sound is pretty dreadful (except the title music) and there isn't even an english translation. This is a budget game through and through and it shows, though it does offer a lot of content. The story is practically meaningless just to move you to the next areas.

You can dress up your little Samurai whores in a variety of clothes and items that are found as you progress through the game.

If sexy chicks who waltz around like strippers in their panties (literally,) with guns and swords, mindlessly slaughtering everything in sight and buckets of blood and guts is your thing, you'll find a lot to like here. I like the crowd-clearing genre so to me it's just OK and mindless fun. If that isn't your thing, skip it.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 02-14-2009 at 02:51 AM.

14. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I thought for a moment that the title of this thread was "Chupacabra: Bikini Samuri"...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information