Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is are the special teams ignored?

Default Why is are the special teams ignored?

I am not saying some people have not brough this up

but our special teams (coverage units, not kicking) are truly just as bad as our run defense.
    how many fumbles do we need on kickoff or punt returns to know that this needs to improve immensly

the fumble for a TD bascially made the game over in my mind. I though this game was going to be tough. (i was correct unfortunatley)

but a free TD against a hungry team= trouble

thoughts?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Med our special teams units were not ignored. Shanahan hired supposedly hired one of the best special teams coaches in the League and heck they've even went so far as to put some of the starters on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Med our special teams units were not ignored. Shanahan hired supposedly hired one of the best special teams coaches in the League and heck they've even went so far as to put some of the starters on special teams.
    I do not mean ignored by the coaching, but us when being critical

I think they are a huge reason for us losing.

the kick units are not good, and clearly the coaching in practice is not working or the players are not getting it I do not know

**bump for exposure**

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i haven't been igoring them-- i hammer the worthless bums almost every time i post!

they should be happy to be ignored, when what they deserve is to be beaten silly and locked in a closet. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    I do not mean ignored by the coaching, but us when being critical

I think they are a huge reason for us losing.

the kick units are not good, and clearly the coaching in practice is not working or the players are not getting it I do not know
    I think most people have complained about ST since last year. Deuce should still have his bump until we get a KRTD at BM (not sure haven;t checked) and as far as this season goes, many people (including me) have comlained about how our ST has still nto improved, even when certien people were kept specifically because they were supposed to be special team aces (Paul Smith for example, Andre Hall was also said to be a big ST contributor through TC and was kept partially for this reason).

I think most fans have talked about ST and how they constantly put us in a bad position. Whether it's fumbles bad field position, and giving up huge returns to the opposing team. Ugh.... I get angry just thinking about this phase of the game and the Broncos the last couple of years, and to me having bad special teams means you have terrible depth....
    Temp sig till I find another one

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I really liked the burst of that Martinez guy off the practice squad. Hopefully he will give us a little better starting field position.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i haven't been igoring them-- i hammer the worthless bums almost every time i post!

they should be happy to be ignored, when what they deserve is to be beaten silly and locked in a closet. . . .
    <---- That's all....
    Temp sig till I find another one

It looks like martinez was brougt into the mix on that one punt return and selvin young lined up next to Clark whom shouls have been taken right right after that fumble.

It is sad that Champ has to save about 8 touchdowns with tackle just this year.

We might have the worst ST's in the league right now.

That and our pass rush is the biggest thing.

Which we do not have much depth what so ever if you say that about ST's

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Is our special teams this bad because some of our defensive starters are on it??

Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    I am not saying some people have not brough this up

but our special teams (coverage units, not kicking) are truly just as bad as our run defense.
    how many fumbles do we need on kickoff or punt returns to know that this needs to improve immensly

the fumble for a TD bascially made the game over in my mind. I though this game was going to be tough. (i was correct unfortunatley)

but a free TD against a hungry team= trouble

thoughts?
    Honestly, I think they (special teams) have been so bad, for so long, that we have grown accustomed to short kickoff/punt returns, and horrible coverage on our kickoff and punts.

It's pretty bad that in weeks 2-4, it seemed like almost every tackle on kickoffs was made by Bailey.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Is our special teams this bad because some of our defensive starters are on it??

Something to think about.
    i doubt it, since they sucked just as bad last year with all backups. . . although, if you're angling for no more champ playing on the coverage teams, i'm highly in favor. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i doubt it, since they sucked just as bad last year with all backups. . . although, if you're angling for no more champ playing on the coverage teams, i'm highly in favor. . .
    I say if he is going to play have him returning instead of saving tackles. Well, maybe not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think I understand why Champ and a few others are being used on special teams but I have never been in favor of having them out there.

Special Teams has been ignored, and the simple fact that we have starters who should never be playing special teams on that front is extremely discouraging, and just shows you how awful the group is.

O'Brien was originally given a couple selections to use at his discretion to focus on special teams during the draft on Day 2. We had several second day selections, but they were traded away land Moss and Thomas. So, O'Brien wasn't able to spend the choices he wanted on Special Teams players, and now we're suffering because of it because we couldn't get the help we so desperately needed.

Special Teams is always controversial at any level of football, whether it's high school - college or the NFL. Special Teams coaches for the most part have had to make due with players and make it work because the starting players are usually "untouchable" when it comes to that area. Having Bailey and others on the unit is just a bad idea, even though we're better with them out there.

Some people seem to think that Special Teams is easy to execute, but it really isn't. Only played it on the high school level, but it's really frustrating when people aren't blocking right or are doing poor on coverage units. I'll never forget the time that a rival team kicked the ball deep and they recovered it at our own ten yard line because people didn't know what the heck to do.

I agree with the assessment that Special Teams has been ignored. There wasn't a player from this last draft (besides Crowder playing it) that was a SOLE S/T pick, and you see quite a few teams using a selection or two in the draft just dedicated to that avenue. Hell, look at the Bears. That's exactly what Devin Hester was for.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information