Thread: Cubs give up on Pie

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Default Cubs give up on Pie

Sources: Cubs trade CF Pie to Orioles by Ken Rosenthal
    Updated: January 18, 2009, 2:15 PM EST

The chances of Felix Pie becoming a fixture for the Cubs in center field are over.

The Cubs have reached agreement with the Orioles on a deal that will send Pie to Baltimore for left-hander Garrett Olson and Class A right-hander Henry Williamson, according to major-league sources.
    Pie, rated the Cubs' No. 1 prospect by Baseball America in 2007, has yet to prove he can hit in the majors, batting .223 with a .284 on-base percentage in 287 career plate appearances.

Olson, the 48th overall pick in the 2005 draft, could fit for the Cubs as a middle reliever if lefty Sean Marshall moves into the team's rotation.

The Padres wanted Olson as part of a three-team trade for Jake Peavy earlier this off-season, and could ask for him again from the Cubs if those talks revive.

Olson, 25, is 10-13 with a 6.87 ERA in 33 major-league starts, but probably needed more seasoning before the Orioles promoted him to the majors in 2006.

I was sorry to see this, Lex. It's a kick in the teeth to see your favorite prospect traded. I still feel bad about the Yankees trading Jose Tabata to the Pirates last summer. He wasn't my favorite prospect, but he was in my top 4. It stings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

They always trade their promising CF's to the Orioles. (Corey Patterson)

Might make a good running mate with Jones out there.

Adopted Bronco:

My outfield of Pie, Jones and Markakis has me drooling. Pie will get his AB's. The O's stuck with Jones in CF all year as a rookie, so I see no reason for them to give up on Pie.

That outfield, the young pitching, solid defense at SS, Roberts at second and the soon to be amazing Wieters behind the plate has us O's fans REALLY excited for the first time in a long time.

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

He'll start the season at AAA. Get him some AB's at a higher level and avoid the arbritration eligibility deadline...but once he comes up, he's gonna tear it up. I cant wait

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information