Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has the High five system made us lazy?

Default Has the High five system made us lazy?

I recently received a PM regarding a salute I sent to a poster I admire and respect. Basically we talked a little about how impersonal we have become, how we just click high 5 and move along.

I get about 20 high 5's to every one salute. Anyone else notice this, and have we become too impersonal or lazy?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but I am wondering if anyone feels the same way.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

LOL! Funny you say that. I find myself clicking the high five a lot lately but I do so when I agree with what is being said or show some solidarity with the post. I noticed I high five some members more than others but it is purely out of coincidence as I rarely notice who posts, I concentrate more on the content. It did make me realize that that there are some members that seem to share the same opinions with and others just the opposite.

4. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

For me, it's more busy than lazy. I have kids to manage, a house to manage, and I come to the computer for breaks in the routine. Sometimes all I can do is skim and high five just to acknowledge I read and approved. Sometimes I don't have anything to add, but approve just the same.
    This space available for lease.

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

I get that we're busy, don't have time, whatever(I still think that's a lame excuse, you're not too busy if you spend a few hours here on a daily basis) I'm not saying the high 5 system is a bad thing. It's just that sometimes I feel that we lose that personal touch like we used to have with each other on our old forums.

I try to take the time to at least say something, even if it's a simple "LMAO" when someone cracks me up.

8. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I try not to be impersonal. You are right though - if we have time to reply to a post, we have time to give a salute. I shall try to do better.

10. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

hotrod, you smartass.

I'll give an example. dogfish, a person who I've known as a poster for several years now, started a thread. I'm sure most of us saw that. He poured his heart out. Lost his grandfather, folks got robbed, living in a place he's not really happy.

I high 5-ed the guy. How lame is that?

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I recently received a PM regarding a salute I sent to a poster I admire and respect. Basically we talked a little about how impersonal we have become, how we just click high 5 and move along.

I get about 20 high 5's to every one salute. Anyone else notice this, and have we become too impersonal or lazy?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but I am wondering if anyone feels the same way.
    high fives are boring. I like Mile High Salute better.

14. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

One thing I found out, if you give a Hi-5, you can not give a Mile High Salute for the same post, but if you remove your Hi-5, you can then give a Mile High Salute, and also then give a Hi-5. I have done this before, as I have given a Hi-5, and then thought about it, and thought I should have given a Mile High Salute.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I get alot of HI-5's and just a few MHS and for the most part they mean so much more.. One of these day's I'll figure out how to place smilie in them, as it never has worked for me..

I use them alot for letting folks know they misspelled something or use a word out of context.. not as a mean thing but to let them know even if it is a message board perceptions are important..

I also sometime do it to let them Know I do not agree with them. but do not need to state it on the forum..

Now let me add MHS should never be used to attack someone like we have had a few folks do here.. It is the same as taking a shot at someone in any open forum..

IF someone does PLEASE make sure to forward it to a mod or Tned..

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

hotrod, you smartass.

I'll give an example. dogfish, a person who I've known as a poster for several years now, started a thread. I'm sure most of us saw that. He poured his heart out. Lost his grandfather, folks got robbed, living in a place he's not really happy.

I feel weird about high fiving sucky things. It just seems odd to say kudos for death and illness. KWIM?

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    One thing I found out, if you give a Hi-5, you can not give a Mile High Salute for the same post, but if you remove your Hi-5, you can then give a Mile High Salute, and also then give a Hi-5. I have done this before, as I have given a Hi-5, and then thought about it, and thought I should have given a Mile High Salute.
    I've done the same thing many times myself Carol, thought to myself, that post deserved more than a high 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I get alot of HI-5's and just a few MHS and for the most part they mean so much more.. One of these day's I'll figure out how to place smilie in them, as it never has worked for me..

I use them alot for letting folks know they misspelled something or use a word out of context.. not as a mean thing but to let them know even if it is a message board perceptions are important..

I also sometime do it to let them Know I do not agree with them. but do not need to state it on the forum..

Now let me add MHS should never be used to attack someone like we have had a few folks do here.. It is the same as taking a shot at someone in any open forum..

I can never seem to get the smiley to work either, I've resorted to instead.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

Except for threads like the Negative Salute Thread where nothing in there is personal at all. It's just insults for fun.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    I feel weird about high fiving sucky things. It just seems odd to say kudos for death and illness. KWIM?
    It does seem odd. I think we all know it means, we agree, that sucks, or my condolences, but I agree, kind of a strange way to show it.

26. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris "goldenrod" Simms

hotrod, you smartass.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that
    TEBOW Bringing back the hb pass since 2012

28. The Following User High Fived Dortoh For This Post:

Jrwiz, I sent you a salute regarding your post.

30. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information