Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - I need to get info off my computer and other computer questions

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    XP..............
    First, you need to upgrade your RAM. 256 is way deficient for XP. Optimal is
    at 1GB or more. You will notice a TREMENDOUS difference in speed, once you
    do that.

You can delete your cookies through your browser. How you do it depends on
    what browser you use:

In Internet Explorer, go through Tools -> Internet Options, and you will see
    where you can delete your cookies.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the "Privacy" tab at the top of
    the popup box. When in there, you will see a "Clear Now" radio button toward
    the bottom.

To eliminate startup programs, go to your Start button at the extreme lower
    left of your desktop screen, then select "Run". Type "msconfig" in the box,
    and you will see a System Configuration popup. Select the "Startup" tab.
    In there, you will see the programs to uncheck to make them stop running.
    But BE CAREFUL . . . it is very easy to stop something that SHOULD be
    running. If you don't know what you are doing, then the best thing to do in
    there is nothing.

Hope that helps.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You might want to be a bit more specific here, Thnik...
    Unlike 98, there is nothing that is needed to be checked. She can go back and find the antivirus one and re-check it. Or she can manually start mcaffe, and it will re-enable that for her.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Email, hit ctrl on the last email, hold it down, and click the top email. It should highlight them all and you'll be able to do a one-click delete. Or if that doesn't work, create an email rules folder, send them all to that folder, then delete the folder.
    This space available for lease.

4. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Unlike 98, there is nothing that is needed to be checked. She can go back and find the antivirus one and re-check it. Or she can manually start mcaffe, and it will re-enable that for her.
    No shyte? I didn't realize that was the case with XP.

Cool.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    First, you need to upgrade your RAM. 256 is way deficient for XP. Optimal is
    at 1GB or more.

You can delete your cookies through your browser. How you do it depends on
    what browser you use:

In Internet Explorer, go through Tools -> Internet Options, and you will see
    where you can delete your cookies.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the "Privacy" tab at the top of
    the popup box. When in there, you will see a "Clear Now" radio button toward
    the bottom.

To eliminate startup programs, go to your Start button at the extreme lower
    left of your desktop screen, then select "Run". Type "msconfig" in the box,
    and you will see a System Configuration popup. Select the "Startup" tab.
    In there, you will see the programs to uncheck to make them stop running.
    But BE CAREFUL . . . it is very easy to stop something that SHOULD be
    running. If you don't know what you are doing, then the best thing to do in
    there is nothing.

Hope that helps.

-----
    If she screws something up, we can run her through a system restore. I am confident that I can talk her through any problems that she might have with XP. If she needs to, I will pm her my number and talk her through it.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    Email, hit ctrl on the last email, hold it down, and click the top email. It should highlight them all and you'll be able to do a one-click delete. Or if that doesn't work, create an email rules folder, send them all to that folder, then delete the folder.
    Brilliance. I used both options when deleting four years worth of personal email history on my work computer when I quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

not sure how to hide your files in a private folder... i'm sure there is a way to password protect a folder or something, but i don't know it.

you could put all your stuff in a folder and then go to the folder's properties and mark it as hidden, then the lady won't be able to see the folder.

when you want it back, go to folder options under the tools menu and you can check the box that says to show hidden folders and then you can see it to uncheck the hide box under the properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

If she screws something up, we can run her through a system restore. I am confident that I can talk her through any problems that she might have with XP. If she needs to, I will pm her my number and talk her through it.
    It would be best if she didn't have to use Restore. And there is an outside
    chance Restore has been shut off. I am just very reticent to have lay people
    do too much by themselves, having run a small computer shop myself.

If you have someone do much more than the very fundamental stuff, it is best
    indeed to talk them through it.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    not sure how to hide your files in a private folder... i'm sure there is a way to password protect a folder or something, but i don't know it.

you could put all your stuff in a folder and then go to the folder's properties and mark it as hidden, then the lady won't be able to see the folder.

when you want it back, go to folder options under the tools menu and you can check the box that says to show hidden folders and then you can see it to uncheck the hide box under the properties.
    I thought admin could see hidden folders. I might be wrong......
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I don't feel as bad about walking someone through instructions since it was my job for about 3 years. I'm not as confidant with Vista, but I still know enough to be more help than a hindrance.

OB, youshould also tell your boss that he could upgrade the ram in your computer for under $50 at this point.

Ok, likely a multi-step process.

For pics:
    About your only real option is to copy them to a thumb drive (you can get them pretty cheap at wal-mart these days, but make sure you get one big enough).

Alternatively, you could create a folder someplace she is unlikely to look, say c:\program files\Peachtree Accounting\docs\ and then copy your pics in there. If she did a computer search for images, she would still find them, but a casual glance likely wouldn't find them.

Or, you can download software called truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) and create an encrypted file, which you can mount anytime you want as drive. Nobody will know what's in the file, but if she searched for large files to free up space, she could find it and then delete it and poof goes your pics.

Best bet, copy them to a USB thumb drive.

Startup Programs:
    The fastest way to address the startup programs is to click start, then run, and type msconfig and click ok. It will start a program, and go to the "Startup" tab. There, you can uncheck items you don't want to start up when windows starts.

Alternatively, you can go to the options or settings for each individual program and there should be some setting that is something along the lines of "Automatically start when windows starts" and disable that option.

Clearing (and saving) your IE favorites:

Assuming you are using IE, and have saved sites like this in your favorites, then you probably want to export your favorites, before deleting them. To do this in IE, click the file menu, then import/export, then a wizard will appear and click next, then highlight export favorites, then next, give it a location (preferably USB thumb drive) and click next or finish.

Do the same thing for your cookies, by following the steps above and highlighting "export cookies".

Then delete cookies (steps shown in next section) and delete favorites. To delete favorites, click the "Favorites menu" then Organize Favorites, then select folders/favorites and click delete.

Or, if you have a lot, and need a faster deletion, open windows explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Favorites (replace username with the username you log on the computer with) and then highlight all the favorites/folders you want to delete and then press the delete key.

When you are ready to get your favorites and cookies back, go back to the File, Import/Export wizard and this time choose import favorites and point it to the file (bookmarks.htm) that was created when you exported them prior to deleting, and do the same with cookies.

Cleaning up history and cookies:

You would opent Internet Explorer and click on the tools menu, and then Internet options.

From there, it depends on your version of IE. If it is IE7, then there will be a Delete button and when you click it, it will let you choose what you want to delete. You will want to delete your temporty internet files, history and probably cookies. Might also want to delete your form data (if that is an option), because that will be the auto-complete stuff when you are typing in a search box or other box and it guesses what you are trying to type.

Finally:

Don't forget your recent documents list that shows up in XP and Vista (assuming you are on one of theses).

Open Windows Explorer. Go to (replace urername with what you log on to the computer with):

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Recent

Select all files (CTRL+A), press Delete key.

That will cover most of your tracks. Since I haven't actually had to do this, I am going by memory as to what you might want to cover/delete. But, I think that covers most of it.

Good luck.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    I thought admin could see hidden folders. I might be wrong......
    There is a setting the admin needs to turn on to see hidden folders.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    McAfee eats up a bunch of RAM too. There's some better anti-virus programs out there.
    Its paid for through July - so I will take suggestions for the future but for now its McAfee

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post

Yeah see there in lies the problem - i know about this BUT some emails i have to keep - even though they may be 2/3 years old - cause of the nature of our business - so i really have no choice but to go through them all- right now im picking "senders" and finding all of their emails and deleting in bulk (by using Ctrl + A ) that way - i think thats my quickest route in my situation

I just need to get my ass in gear and do that on a monthly basis
    Last edited by OB; 01-14-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

And thanks everyone for all the help - you all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have NTL send you all calendars since me n nj didnt get one - he is sure to have a few left over

18. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

I don't feel as bad about walking someone through instructions since it was my job for about 3 years. I'm not as confidant with Vista, but I still know enough to be more help than a hindrance.

OB, youshould also tell your boss that he could upgrade the ram in your computer for under $50 at this point.

I did tell him - but Im not sure if i can do it or if we need to have someone else do it - although if i have instructions im pretty competent with stuff like that

Also, about 2/3 years ago - i got an install update for windows - the service pack 2.0 or something like that - so i installed it (it was marked critical) well when i did that my computer got all screwed up - my WordPerfect didnt run right, my internet wouldnt connect - so i did a restore back to the prior version and everything has been OK ever since - it prompts me every once in a while to install that update but i dont

Also the last time i tried to restore (forgot why) i couldnt find a restore point that worked - it kept giving my some error message, regardless of which day i chose

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information