Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Mid-Season Mock

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default Assassin's Mid-Season Mock

Tebow's play, IMHO, has played him into the 2012 starters role...right, wrong or otherwise. He's shown an uncanny ability to win games and that can't be ignored. While the jury is still out on his future, he has shown incredible leadership and his team will follow him. That said, that TEAM needs to be improved to further support him while he develops. Strengthening the defense and providing him with weapons can only help both Tebow and the team as a whole if he ends up not being the guy beyond 2012.

Some of these players remain from my pre-season mock, but some adjustments, based on the team's progress and apparent weak points, have been made. Additionally, I am basing this mock on my desire to address the CB position via Free Agency. I am not ignoring it. I just prefer to deepen other spots via this draft and spend on CBs who have proven themselves.

round 1
    DONT'A HIGHTOWER, MLB, Alabama
    6'4" 260

Since my first version of this moch, we have won 3 more games and a draft pick in the 20s seems more and more realistic. This leads me to believe that Burfict is no longer an option. I think Hightower fits the mold of possible Best Player Available in a position of need. He's been nothing short of spectacular since he arrived at Alabama. He's a giant and plays very athletic for his size. I think his speed will also surprise at the combine. He is a monster inside and I believe that he, along with Von Miller will instill fear in opposing offenses and return the "Crush" to Denver's defense. Mays has been solid, but a liability against the pass. I like what I've seen from DJ now that he's back home at WILL and Woodyard is a solid 4th LB option. Hightower rounds out a damn good LB corps. With young Safeties and an vastly improved Dline, this move can assist Tebow by helping keep most games close.

round 2
    MALIK JACKSON, DE/DT, Tennessee
    6'5" 270

Jackson is a USC transfer after the fallout. Starting DT, with DE experience, who is getting bigger each year. He has been dominant this year for the Vols. Overshadowed by the team's struggles and youth, Jackson has been a huge force in the SEC. I won't be shocked if he rises up the boards much like Ayers did a couple of years ago. He should be able to add depth and position flexibility to a much improved DLine. I think he moves all the way into round 2 and would be a great piece to our defensive line.

round 3
    DOUG MARTIN, RB, Boise State
    5'9" 215

Lamar Miller and Montee Ball, if he comes out, will both be gone before we'd pick in round 2. I think we then move on to different options. I love Doug Martin here in round 3...and wouldn't be mad if we grabbed him in round 2. He has that Ray Rice, MJD feel to me. High praise, I know, but his build and running style have similarities. Low center of gravity and bulky, busy legs make it very hard for defenders to bring him down. He's a big sleeper in this draft. I think he's built well for our offense.

round 4
    TYDREKE POWELL, DT, North Carolina
    6'3" 310

We have a lot of Free Agency questions along our defensive front and Fox has a knack for developing DT talent. Powell is a productive DT for the Tar Heels and has the potential to be a strong piece of a rotation.

round 5A
    RYAN LINDLEY, QB, San Diego State
    6'4" 230

While Tebow will get his shot, we still have no depth with the likely departures of Orton and Quinn. Adam Weber has a solid skillset and can develop into a capable backup, but this is a spot where a chance can be taken on a developmental talent with more upside. Lindley has the measureables, but will need time to develop.

round 5B
    JARIUS WRIGHT, WR, Arkansas
    5'10" 180

We traded a WR for what should be a 5th round pick. We shoudl take a WR in the same round. Wright would be just one more weapon for Tebow and he's more electric than Quan Cosby in the return game. He is a blazer who will likely end his college career as Arkansas's all time reception leader. W/ Lloyd gone, Royal a possible departure and D Thomas oft-injured, we will need a WR at some point in the off-season. FAs will not look forward to coming to play w/ Tebow, so we'll probably have to draft one.

round 7
    TAUREN POOLE, RB, Tennessee
    5'10" 215

All around stable back for the Vols. Had over 1000 yards and 11 TDs against an SEC schedule in 2010. Having a down year this year, but that is due to a number of issues. RB depth will be key given Fox's style of offense. Not the dynamic home run hitter many covet, but Poole gets the job done. An excellent back to have in a rotation.

Last edited by SmilinAssasSin27; 12-13-2011 at 08:38 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

great stuff, smiley. . .

we could certainly do worse than burfict, and we need RBs in the worst way. . . tolbert's at the top of my off-season wishlist, and i think we need to draft a back at some point as well. . . and i'm a big fan of addressing CB (and ideally a gaffney-type vet WR who can push DT and contribute as a reliable slot guy on third downs) in free agency. . . with as many hits as tebow takes, i do think they might take a QB higher than the 5th, but we'll see-- this class obviously has some depth, if they like a guy like lindley, maybe they'll wait it out. . .

either way, the other positions i'd like to see addressed with our top picks are DL, OT, RB and MLB. . . ideally some combination of those with our first three picks, depending on how the board falls, of course. . . we still have enough holes in the depth chart that we can't really go wrong anywhere-- although i might blow a valve if they draft another safety or tight end in the first couple rounds. . . other than that we can't really go too far wrong, as long as we're getting athletes that fit the scheme. . .

if they can even figure out what our scheme is on offense going forward. . .

you usually can't go too far wrong drafting big, fast, mean dudes, though. . . the richardson talk could get very interesting if he looks to be in our wheelhouse. . . these days, i tend to be against taking a back in the first unless he's a legit size/speed freak, but trent does kinda look like one of those guys. . . on principle, i'd much rather take a lineman there with QB off the board-- you're correct, you can find very serviceable backs in the middle rounds, even if most of the true superstars are still selected in the top fifty picks. . .

but, you don't want to pass a significantly superior talent to get an average starter at a position where they usually have longer careers. . . i'd take mike pouncey over chris johnson. . . i wouldn't take JD walton over AD, though. . .

a LOT of people will be vehemently opposed to taking a back in the first regardless of any circumstances. . . i'm going to hope that, if we find ourselves in a position to take him, there's a guy at another position that they like just as well. . . but if we do wind up taking him, i won't be pissed-- short of finding a clady- like rookie OT, nothing will provide more immediate help to tebow than another legit big hoss in our stable of backs. . .

if it becomes a possibility, the in-fighting around here will be the worst since this whole tebow cluster. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Good post Smiling. I hope you are doing good buddy.

6. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I actually really quite like this. Good job. My only hangup would be on Miller in the second but thats just a preference thing. I do like Poole a lot though.

8. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Good post Smiling. I hope you are doing good buddy.
    Doing well thanx. I have my 1st follow up appt in 3 weeks since I was determined to be in remission.

10. The Following 9 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoptard View Post
    great stuff, smiley. . .

we could certainly do worse than burfict, and we need RBs in the worst way. . . tolbert's at the top of my off-season wishlist, and i think we need to draft a back at some point as well. . . and i'm a big fan of addressing CB (and ideally a gaffney-type vet WR who can push DT and contribute as a reliable slot guy on third downs) in free agency. . . with as many hits as tebow takes, i do think they might take a QB higher than the 5th, but we'll see-- this class obviously has some depth, if they like a guy like lindley, maybe they'll wait it out. . .

either way, the other positions i'd like to see addressed with our top picks are DL, OT, RB and MLB. . . ideally some combination of those with our first three picks, depending on how the board falls, of course. . . we still have enough holes in the depth chart that we can't really go wrong anywhere-- although i might blow a valve if they draft another safety or tight end in the first couple rounds. . . other than that we can't really go too far wrong, as long as we're getting athletes that fit the scheme. . .

if they can even figure out what our scheme is on offense going forward. . .

you usually can't go too far wrong drafting big, fast, mean dudes, though. . . the richardson talk could get very interesting if he looks to be in our wheelhouse. . . these days, i tend to be against taking a back in the first unless he's a legit size/speed freak, but trent does kinda look like one of those guys. . . on principle, i'd much rather take a lineman there with QB off the board-- you're correct, you can find very serviceable backs in the middle rounds, even if most of the true superstars are still selected in the top fifty picks. . .

but, you don't want to pass a significantly superior talent to get an average starter at a position where they usually have longer careers. . . i'd take mike pouncey over chris johnson. . . i wouldn't take JD walton over AD, though. . .

a LOT of people will be vehemently opposed to taking a back in the first regardless of any circumstances. . . i'm going to hope that, if we find ourselves in a position to take him, there's a guy at another position that they like just as well. . . but if we do wind up taking him, i won't be pissed-- short of finding a clady- like rookie OT, nothing will provide more immediate help to tebow than another legit big hoss in our stable of backs. . .

if it becomes a possibility, the in-fighting around here will be the worst since this whole tebow cluster. . .
    Meh, I don't see the big difference between taking a RB in the 2nd vs taking one in the first. It's a philosophy that's stupid to begin with and then to pay homage to the philosophy of not taking a RB in the first by using a 2nd on one, is even more silly.

Having said that, I think his picks are decent even though he has us taking too many Tennessee players. Also we could probably use a CB.

I love the players SA, but I think that Burfict, Miller, and Poole will all be gone where you have them going to us. I'm real high on Te'O at MLB also. He's a 4 down guy with great size that can hold his own in coverage.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Orange View Post
    Meh, I don't see the big difference between taking a RB in the 2nd vs taking one in the first. It's a philosophy that's stupid to begin with and then to pay homage to the philosophy of not taking a RB in the first by using a 2nd on one, is even more silly.

Having said that, I think his picks are decent even though he has us taking too many Tennessee players. Also we could probably use a CB.
    2 Vols...1 who isa legit stud. The other, a 7th round flier. Both will play in the NFL.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Tebow is routinely the worst QB on the field. Are you sure the Broncos can't do better?.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Tebow is routinely the worst QB on the field. Are you sure the Broncos can't do better?.......
    Yeah... 2nd-3rd round looks to be the target area for the Broncos to draft a QB. It looks like we'll be out of range to get one of the top tier guys, so it's time to take a closer look at the second tier guys.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

From a passing standpoint yes. It will come though and of that I have no doubt.

Im fine with getting a cheap Vet like Garrad in FA and drafting a guy in rd 2-4 though. competition should be exclusive, tebow could use it just as much as the rest of the team next year, but he does need a fair shot and a consistent scheme to grow in, fox cant pull a shanny and try and fit a square peg in a rd hole....he is doing the right thing so far. we can win with tebow he can make big plays dilfer couldnt for example, so a developing defense and a even better run game next year will only help.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    Yeah... 2nd-3rd round looks to be the target area for the Broncos to draft a QB. It looks like we'll be out of range to get one of the top tier guys, so it's time to take a closer look at the second tier guys.
    Trade up!.......

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    From a passing standpoint yes. It will come though and of that I have no doubt.

Im fine with getting a cheap Vet like Garrad in FA and drafting a guy in rd 2-4 though. competition should be exclusive, tebow could use it just as much as the rest of the team next year, but he does need a fair shot and a consistent scheme to grow in, fox cant pull a shanny and try and fit a square peg in a rd hole....he is doing the right thing so far. we can win with tebow he can make big plays dilfer couldnt for example, so a developing defense and a even better run game next year will only help.....
    Whether or not Tebow can develope is not a gamble that the Broncos can afford to take. Combine that with the fact that this team is far closer to competing than anybody thought and l can't think of a single reason to not do anything you can to draft a franchise QB.

You don't put the cart before the horse, and waiting to fix the QB situation til you've built an otherwise 11-win team is the very definition of that.

QB is by far the most glaring weakness in the starting 22, it's not even close anymore.......
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Trade up!.......

Whether or not Tebow can develope is not a gamble that the Broncos can afford to take. Combine that with the fact that this team is far closer to competing than anybody thought and l can't think of a single reason to not do anything you can to draft a franchise QB.

You don't put the cart before the horse, and waiting to fix the QB situation til you've built an otherwise 11-win team is the very definition of that.

QB is by far the most glaring weakness in the starting 22, it's not even close anymore.......

Its gonna have to be.....Luck is way outta range and will cost to much....Barkley and griffin both wanna go back to school and both would be top 15 anyways. That leaves landry who i cant stand for rd 1....we can get a Qb like tannehill in rd 2 who is perfect for our offense.....no need to trade up and we still have a guy to push tebow or be the future, pick a vet in FA and were good, and we will have time cause of our defense and run game....tebow deserves a fairshot whether you want that or not, he has been thrown around and been in 2 different schemes and systems now 3 actually....let him get some time and consistency in a physical system and the throws we need him to make will happen....i see no reason why tebow cant be a way better version of plummer....

Its gonna have to be.....Luck is way outta range and will cost to much....Barkley and griffin both wanna go back to school and both would be top 15 anyways. That leaves landry who i cant stand for rd 1....we can get a Qb like tannehill in rd 2 who is perfect for our offense.....no need to trade up and we still have a guy to push tebow or be the future, pick a vet in FA and were good, and we will have time cause of our defense and run game....tebow deserves a fairshot whether you want that or not, he has been thrown around and been in 2 different schemes and systems now 3 actually....let him get some time and consistency in a physical system and the throws we need him to make will happen....i see no reason why tebow cant be a way better version of plummer....
    My thoughts exactly

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

l don't know that either Barkley or RGlll go back for Sr season, but l wouldn't blame them, the 2013 QB class is a wasteland. No way Indy gives up Luck, especially not to Denver. I like Tannehill, and he might be the best the Broncos can do, but is he the type of prospect that you build around? I'll wait to see what some others have to say about him but he's already shown me more potential than any QB Denver currently has.

Tebow is getting his shot, more of a shot than any other 4th-5th round prospect has ever been given. And if he's still with Denver after they draft a franchise QB (should they draft a franchise QB) he will still be given a chance to compete, his ridiculously stupid fanbase will leave them no other choice.

He's been in one system before the current POS, and they installed this POS because he failed miserable to do what he was drafted to do, run that first system.

But.......the fact that you can't stand Landry Jones tells me how seriously you're taking this discussion. Unless Denver trades up you won't have to worry about Jones threatening what Tebow is apparently entitled to.

Sorry to waste your time.......
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information