Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eagles-Cardinals NFC Championship Preview

Adopted Bronco:

Default Eagles-Cardinals NFC Championship Preview

The NFC Championship. Two teams with a combined 18 wins. At the beginning of the season no one would have guessed this would happen. Even as recently as last week, most epected to see a repeat of the Ginats and Panthers. Instead, we will be entertained with a repeat of the Eagles and Cardinals.

As with every Cinderella story, the Cardinals appear to have NFL fans and certainly the media in their corner. The perennial loser lead by the grizzled veteran. Unfortunately, I dont know that anyone will care after this weekend. The media keeps telling us to forget about the Thanksgiving game, but why should we? Aside from that game being played in Philly, not alot has changed. Unless, of course, you want to consider that the Cards had both Fitgerald AND Boldin for that game...a luxury that looks unlikely for this weekends match-up.

The Eagles forced the Cardinals to abandon what minimal running game they have and throw the ball. Not that Warner and the Cards have a problem with that as evidenced by having three 1000 yard receivers, but the pressure Philly put on Warner forced three interceptions as well.

Arizona's dead last 32nd ranked running game will again be abandoned against Philly's #4 rush defense. We know Arizona will be forced to throw the ball and it's inevitable that they will have some success. however, the fabled Jim Johnson blitz sceme and the lack of Anquin Boldin will eventually catch up with the Cards on that end.

On the flip side, the modest Arizona defense will be forced to corral Brian Westbrook who ran on them for over 100 yards and 2 TD's in November...and Donovan McNabb who tossed 4 TD's in the same game.

There is hope and speculation and all kinds of twists added to this scenario by the media and NFL fans, but at the end of the day we all know that Arizona really doesnt belong here. I dont care if they are playing in Minnesota, New York or Arizona...Philly is on a roll and the Cards are just one more obstacle on their way to the Super Bowl.

Philadelphia - 42....Arizona - 21

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I don't know. The AZ defense has been showing up in the playoffs and playing well. There is no doubt that Philly's "D" is better but AZ offense is better.
    AZ plays at home in a warm weather game which suits their offense. They will be able to throw the ball.
    AZ defense did force Carolina into 6 turnovers. So..... it depends on which AZ defense shows up for this game as thier offense can out score Philly's.
    If, and I say if, AZ can win this game they go to Tampa, another warm climate game, they just might be enjoying the promise land.

4. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Logic says Eagles will win...

...but personally I really hope the Cards win - everything.

Oh, and on the side, I'll continue to pick against Cards in every Pick-em League I can --- which means, of course, they'll continue to win.

Go Cards!

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

The Eagles are riding on momentum just as much as the Cardinals are. I believe the Eagles bring a more lethal defense than the Panthers and the Cardinals better bring their 'A++' game on all three aspects of the game (O, D, ST). As you said, Cardinals aren't supposed to be here and the Eagles aren't either. I believe the Eagles will come in with more intensity treat Warner like a rag doll!!

7. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Being from Philly, I'll admit to being a bit bias. But, how many times does a Cinderella story have to fade away before accomplishing anything before we begin to realize it's just not going to happen.

Philly doesnt have a great record either, but it's obvious they are a much better team than the record indicates. Arizona has simply taken advantage of some untimely turnovers by their opponents. Does that mean their defense is playing great? not necessarily...but I guarantee you they will be worrying abotu turnovers themselves this weekend. The Philly defense is MUCH better than Carolina and Atlanta and Asante Samuel is a much better cover man than anything the other two had to offer.

Agreed on your story Coach.

I dont think AZ has a chance. I have no ill feelings for them but if you
    dont play good defense, not saying that that played bad last week but I think
    it was more of a result of Jake Dellomes complete suckage than them playing good D.

I like Philly in a closer game, say 31 to 27ish.

AZ will show up but overall Philly is a better more well rounded team IMO

I figure Edgerrin James to be a factor this time around. He didnt so much as touch the ball in the first game. I also like that Az has home turf. I didnt give Az a chance against Carolina. (see my slim and none comment). Theyre even more confident since. I see a close game 27-24 Az.

11. The Following User High Fived horsesense For This Post:

If the score is that lopsided then I would be a bit surprised. I do expect Philly to make Warner fumble more than once.

What has always kept the Cardinals alive is that once again their opposition does not have a CB of any real worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by horsesense View Post
    I figure Edgerrin James to be a factor this time around. He didnt so much as touch the ball in the first game. I also like that Az has home turf. I didnt give Az a chance against Carolina. (see my slim and none comment). Theyre even more confident since. I see a close game 27-24 Az.
    What is it that makes you think the worst rushing team in the NFL is suddenly going to "be a factor" against a top 5 run defense? Just curious

...and I don't think home turf will be a big deal. Philly just went into a raucous dome and the Meadowlands and came away with 2 convincing road wins. Somehow I dont think playing in Arizona will bother tham too much.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    If the score is that lopsided then I would be a bit surprised. I do expect Philly to make Warner fumble more than once.

What has always kept the Cardinals alive is that once again their opposition does not have a CB of any real worth.
    Do you mean once again as in this week? I have to think Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are more than capable of holding their own. At least ALOT more than the duos in ATL and CAR were. Then you subtract Boldin.

15. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post

...and I don't think home turf will be a big deal. Philly just went into a raucous dome and the Meadowlands and came away with 2 convincing road wins. Somehow I dont think playing in Arizona will bother tham too much.
    I was referring to the turf (grass) more than I was the crowd. Az has a new turf that plays a little faster than some of the other sods you see around the league. The running game has been more a factor the last 3 games with Hightower and James sharing the load.

Do you mean once again as in this week? I have to think Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are more than capable of holding their own. At least ALOT more than the duos in ATL and CAR were. Then you subtract Boldin.
    I still don't understand why Sheppard isn't the starter... He is the best CB on that roster, IMO.

Gnomeflinger was the first to use the correct number of A's in my username.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

This is Philadelphia's year.
    Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.
    In Elway We Trust

19. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Broncolingus View Post
    Logic says Eagles will win...

...but personally I really hope the Cards win - everything.

Oh, and on the side, I'll continue to pick against Cards in every Pick-em League I can --- which means, of course, they'll continue to win.

Go Cards!
    There is nothing logical about what the Cards have done in the play-offs. They had lost to 4 of the 5 play-off teams that they played in the regular season. The one win came in week 2 against a Miami team the was struggling out of the gate, but got it together to make their own improvable play-off appearance. Logic would suggest that such a team would be one and done in the play-offs. Logic suggest that the Eagles, who killed the Cards on Thanksgiving, should do the same this Sunday. Never-the-less, what does logic have to do with anything.

No think for sure, this is as close to a legitimate shot at the Superbowl that they are going to have for a while. Forget about the regular season meatings that the Cards had with the Eagles and Giants. If the Cards would have gone to NY and had to play in the snow, they would have lost. Warm weather teams, especially the Cards, do not win in the snow. The only reason why they have a chance of going to the SB is because the game is being played here.

For the record, I'm still picking against the Cards. They just have to start living down to everybody's expections sooner or later.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Samuel is a player that has a big name because of his INTs. He is from the same mold that Cromartie from SD. People love CBs with INTs, it's the easiest way for people to find out who is good. Sameul never had coverage skills that were elite, and at this point Fitzgerald is looking like he can't be stopped.

So while I have the Cardinals losing, the fact remains that the Cardinals are facing a blitz happy defense that has overrated flashy CBs. If the blitz doesn't get there it's going to be hard for the Eagles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information