Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
I love duck.
confit for the leg and thigh. (stewed in its own juices)
and for the breast, remove the skin, leave just a 'landing strip of the fat layer across the back of the breast and pan roast.
SAVE THE TRIMMED DUCK FAT for cooking, it is absolutly fabulous. and make duck skin chitlins with the skin.
the method of pan roasting the breast with just the strip of fat across the top to baste it, I learned from Michael de Maria, a gold medal winner in the Culinary Olympics! Not some better crocker bake-off or a TV show face-off!
the culinary olympics are held every 4 years, just like the athletic olympics and teams from each countries BEST vie for the gold.
The location, munich germany remains the same.
Only twice has the American team taken home team gold, De maria was on one of those teams !
he won individul honors as well, and ironicly, his team captain turned down one of MDM's salt dough presentations of an american bald eagle, saying it was "too gaudy"
so a canadian colleague of his entered it, sying, "just to see how it scores' and his EAGLE won gold for the Canadians !
De Maria is the best chef I have ever worked with, including my 20 chef instructors at the CIA !
I have only ever had duck breast, and it was cooked that way. So good.