Thread: Rice gets into the HOF finally

Default Rice gets into the HOF finally

Well deserved and my favorite player as a kid gets in.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...ome&position=0

Sox’ Rice gets call to Hall, finally
    By Michael Silverman

In results just announced by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and the Baseball Writers’ Association, the Red Sox [team stats]’ power-hitting left fielder gained the necessary 75 percent minimum of all ballots cast -- to gain entry in his 15th and final year of eligibility.

Rice got in but barely, finishing with 76.4 percent of the vote.

Rice played 16 seasons, all with the Red Sox, from 1974 through 1989. American League MVP in 1978, Rice finished in the top five of MVP voting five other times and was an eight-time All-Star, who led the league in home runs three times, RBI twice, slugging percentage twice, hits once and triples once and rank 56th on the alltime RBI list (1,451) and 55th in home runs (382).

He is the only player to hit 35 home runs and collect at least 200 hits in three consecutive seasons.

A steep drop-off in his later years, falling 18 home runs shy of the magical 400-home run career mark, finishing with two points shy of a .300 career batting average, a proclivity for hitting into double plays, no Gold Gloves and possibly a frosty relationship with the media contributed to the long wait Rice had.

But in recent years, his cause had gained momentum as the extent of the steroid era became clearer. That era began a few years after Rice retired. Last year, Rice finished with 72.2 percent of the vote, 16 ballots short.

Rice will join Rickey Henderson, the all-time steals and runs scored leader, who was elected in his first year of eligibility with 94.8 percent of the vote.

msilverman@bostonherald.com

2. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Rice definitely deserved to be there.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It doesn't bother me but it apparently upsets a lot of statheads that Rice is getting in but Blyleven is not.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    It doesn't bother me but it apparently upsets a lot of statheads that Rice is getting in but Blyleven is not.
    Blyleven should be there as well and hopefully next season gets there

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Blyleven should be there as well and hopefully next season gets there
    Quite possible. Here are the first-timers:
    2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Andy Ashby, Ellis Burks, Dave Burba, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Mark McLemore, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura, Fernando Vina, Todd Zeile
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Robbie Alomar and Larkin should get in next year IMO. There's some fine players on next years list.

I'm happy for Jim Rice. I had his glove as a kid.

10. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Quite possible. Here are the first-timers:
    2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Andy Ashby, Ellis Burks, Dave Burba, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Mark McLemore, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura, Fernando Vina, Todd Zeile
    Alomar and the Crime Dog would be locks in my book. Larkin and Galarraga to. But none of them should get in for a few years atleast.

12. The Following User High Fived In-com-plete For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

I'm happy for Jim Rice. I had his glove as a kid.
    Same here on both fronts.

I hated to see Rice and Goose Gossage wait so long for induction. Hopefully Blyleven makes the cut next year.

14. The Following User High Fived keithbishop For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information