Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Facts Are In - This Team SUCKS!!

Default The Facts Are In - This Team SUCKS!!

Remember last week when I said the game against the Colts was over at halftime? I wish this week would have been at least that good.

Sadly, after a fumbled kickoff in the first quarter gave the Chargers a second TD in 11 seconds, you had a sense that this game was over before the last second of the first quarter ticked off the clock.

This team really is as bad as advertised. There's nothing special about the special teams - There's no defense for the defense - And the offense is just that..... offensive.

This loss ended with the largest losing margin in the Shanahan era as the Broncos head coach, and it was the worst loss at home since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. It was also the worst home loss since the Kansas City Chiefs' 56-10 thumping on Oct. 23, 1966.

This week's 4 downs....

Most Glaring Weaknesses (I could almost paste and clip these)

1st - Poor Secondary play. Phillip Rivers averaged over 20 yards per completion today. He completed 72% of his attempts. He had a passer rating of 151.4. All of these were season highs for him. Perhaps the biggest bust of a play that demonstrates how pathetic the pass defense was today was on the 2nd and 33 play where Rivers completed a 45 yard pass.

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Jags they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Fumbles... dropped passes... Interception... It all started with the kickoff fumble by Clark and ended with Cutler extending his streak of consecutive games with an INT to 10. I hear Brandon Marshall is upset with the fans for leaving early. Perhaps if he hadn't fumbled inside the 9 yard line when the Broncos were only down by 14, the fans would have had a reason to stick around.

4th - Play calling and team chemistry. Shanny (or Heimerdinger) were pathetic with playcalling. San Diego had the 29th ranked defense against the pass coming into today's game, yet it seemed like the ball was taken from Cutler's hands. I know we love to run, but Shanny used to be the "guru" in creating mismatches against the opposing team's weaknesses. I haven't seen it over the past three losses.

The Good Things (this was pretty hard with a game like this one)

1st - Tony Scheffler. It appears he's is back from his injury. It took an injury to Nate Jackson for him to get a chance, but he came through on a couple of big first down pass catches, and he had a blocked punt on special teams. It sure would be sweet to see the Cutler to Scheffler connection return after the bye.

2nd - Glenn Martinez. He did a great job playing the slot position today, catching 6 passes for 70 yards. He also had a very nice punt return, showing that we might have an answer in that area.

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the privilege of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

4th - 3rd down conversions, going 6 for 13.

It appears the bye week will be needed. Several key players were injured today, including Champ Bailey and Brandon Stokley. When you add Javon's second consecutive missed game, the rest will be welcome.

As I have already stated, this team sucks. There's not a catagory anywhere over the past few weeks that would give the average fan reason to think that this year's edition of the Denver Broncos will finish the season better than .500 (playoffs...... PLAYOFFS??) /Jim Mora rant....

Hey, at least with the bye week, the defense won't give up another 200+ yards rushing next Sunday...
    Last edited by Broncos Mtnman; 10-08-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

It's a very good breakdown Mtn Man.

What concerns me the most is it seems the team is full of gutless players who don't play with any sense of urgency, or pride.

And for as much as our offense has been struggling, I'm specifically talking about the defense and the special teams.
    Last edited by silkamilkamonico; 10-07-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Oh how I love to argue with you, Mtnman.

But you didn't give me anything to argue about . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    Remember last week when I said the game against the Colts was over at halftime? I wish this week would have been at least that good.

Sadly, after a fumbled kickoff in the first quarter gave the Chargers a second TD in 11 seconds, you had a sense that this game was over before the last second of the first quarter ticked off the clock.

This team really is as bad as advertised. There's nothing special about the special teams - There's no defense for the defense - And the offense is just that..... offensive.

This loss ended with the largest losing margin in the Shanahan era as the Broncos head coach, and it was the worst loss at home since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. It was also the worst home loss since the Kansas City Chiefs' 56-10 thumping on Oct. 23, 1966.

This week's 4 downs....

1st - Poor Secondary play. Phillip Rivers averaged over 20 yards per completion today. He completed 72% of his attempts. He had a passer rating of 151.4. All of these were season highs for him. Perhaps the biggest bust of a play that demonstrates how pathetic the pass defense was today was on the 2nd and 33 play where Rivers completed a 45 yard pass.

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Raiders they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Fumbles... dropped passes... Interception... It all started with the kickoff fumble by Clark and ended with Cutler extending his streak of consecutive games with an INT to 10. I hear Brandon Marshall is upset with the fans for leaving early. Perhaps if he hadn't fumbled inside the 9 yard line when the Broncos were only down by 14, the fans would have had a reason to stick around.

4th - Play calling and team chemistry. Shanny (or Heimerdinger) were pathetic with playcalling. San Diego had the 29th ranked defense against the pass coming into today's game, yet it seemed like the ball was taken from Cutler's hands. I know we love to run, but Shanny used to be the "guru" in creating mismatches against the opposing team's weaknesses. I haven't seen it over the past three losses.

1st - Tony Scheffler. It appears he's is back from his injury. It took an injury to Nate Jackson for him to get a chance, but he came through on a couple of big first down pass catches, and he had a blocked punt on special teams. It sure would be sweet to see the Cutler to Scheffler connection return after the bye.

2nd - Glenn Martinez. He did a great job playing the slot position today, catching 6 passes for 70 yards. He also had a very nice punt return, showing that we might have an answer in that area.

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the priviledge of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

It appears the bye week will be needed. Several key players were injured today, including Champ Bailey and Brandon Stokley. When you add Javon's second consecutive missed game, the rest will be welcome.

As I have already stated, this team sucks. There's not a catagory anywhere over the past few weeks that would give the average fan reason to think that this year's edition of the Denver Broncos will finish the season better than .500 (playoffs...... PLAYOFFS??) /Jim Mora rant....

Hey, at least with the bye week, the defense won't give up another 200+ yards rushing next Sunday...
    Great post, mtnman. I'd buy wilderness prop from you any day of the week!

Go !

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

This week's 4 downs....

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Raiders they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the priviledge of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

Good post and nice breakdown.

We can't even stop the run when they are trying to run out the clock......Pathetic.

Of the few good points, I am happy to see that Scheffler was able catch some passes today and even block a punt.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

The saddiest part of your post MntMan is that I AGREE with you ...

j/k (and after all, it's not P&R... LOL)

You told everything... We suck... We have no D (and our best defender, Champ is out)... Our special teams has nothing special but its mediocrity...
    Our O can't score points...

And oh... MntMan... You forgot 1 thing about the good news part of your post... We'll have a high pick in the next draft ... Very good news if you ask me.
    Froggy's back !

Might want to consider a crappy pass rush for a bad pass defense, also the injuries as well.

I could not possibly agree more.

besides our terrible 3rd down conversions look at the other side of the ball

SD went 6 or 7 for 10 tries, and most probably came on a run, its just sad
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Great post Mtn Man

I agree with you wholheardedly

I would have had zero postives though as there was nothing but bad in that game

Also we need to have an acutual zero turnover game.

when was the last time that happened.

a long time ago. maybe before Jay was QB. Not all TOs were him obviously but he needs
    to get rid of the one poor int a game. IMO

this team is going to be at best 6-10 and if I get flamed oh well.

I am being honest. I have been a fan for a long time and not felt like this since 92 when we sucked as well and that year we still had Elway so the next year we rebounded to a 9-7 season I think

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

I thought the cheerleaders were good!

Adopted Bronco:
    ex-Bronco-Craig Morton

It was a pretty close game until the kickoff.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Fan View Post
    It was a pretty close game until the kickoff.
    it was 0-0 for almost 4 mintues of the 1st Qtr lol

cant we just say this team is bad and not sugar coat it.

People get all defensive and say we are not "true fans" which is crap i say.

I am more passionated than most about sports but can see reality as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    ex-Bronco-Craig Morton

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post

People get all defensive and say we are not "true fans" which is crap i say.

I am more passionated than most about sports but can see reality as well.
    Check out post # 23 on the "I can't believe how easily some Bronco fans fold".

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Hey mtnman,
    I agree with you on the issues. I think you missed one thing though!!! Cutler is stepping up and trying to fill a huge hole nobody else is willing to fill. I feel he is becoming a leader and with all of this I only think he can get better if the team would only get better as a whole now. By the way can anyone explain to me why we have Bly again?

This week's 4 downs....

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Jags they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the privilege of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

Last edited by Crush05; 10-10-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information