Thread: Far Cry 2

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2 is one AWESOME game. I picked up a special edition $34.99 used at Gamestop.

In my opinion having played both (and I know many will disagree, and that's cool) it totally blows away Fallout 3 in almost every way, especially the most important one being it's tight shooting and playability. Think of it as a FPS within a GTA style game.

You are on an African Continent. Two militant factions are vying for control of the land in a bloody war which has decimated the area with death and poverty. They are both supplied weapons by the same arms dealer. Even though you have become afflicted with Malaria, your job is to eliminate the arms dealer, who is known only as 'The Jackal' (not the Bruce Willis Jackal.)

Here are some notable features and descriptors-

Explore over 20 square miles of lush tropical jungle terrain with much of the environment filmed and shot in Kenya. Realistic weather, day/night cycles and wild herd animals (Zebras, Gazelles, etc.) Different vehicles allow you to get to your destinations quickly.

Has several RPG elements but none are too tedious. Upgradable skills and weapons. NPCs will help you or hate you, based on your actions.

Very resonsive controls and shooting mechanics. Large array of guns and weapons.

Older weapons that are found will show wear, have erratic accuracy or jam because of their heavy useage. You can obtain new ones to avoid this.

Keeping your Malaria in check offers another degree of maintaining your health.

Self-surgery for bleeding- Remove bullets with a pliers and knife.

Health system doesn't automatically regenerate ala Halo and CoD.

Diamonds are the currency to uprade your player.

Map, cell phone and GPS help you navigate the massive amounts of terrain on foot or by vehicle.

Offers online play, but it is easily overshadowed by the near 30 hour single player story.

This game is definitely worth it. I love it. A sleeper hit in a year dominated by other great games in the genre like GoW2, R2, F3 (I say it's an RPG first and foremost,) and CoD-WoW. I say 9/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood, intense violence, language, drugs and sexual themes
    Last edited by Shazam!; 01-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information